Home – New Forums Other discussions Why do all the direct marketers end prices in 7?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up
    ::

Hello there,

Has anyone else noticed that direct marketers always seem to end their pricing with 7?

For example;
    Claim your FREE newsletter for only $597. Today! or go hungry tommorow!
    You’re stupid. Do stuff NOW, you won’t be stupid any more. Just $337!
    Click on my call to action button for $457, FREE RSI!
    Buy this stuff and fly like a plane, only $747!

Obviously these are fictional examples, but every time I see it I wonder if 7 is psychologically wired into our brain to do something special that only direct marketers know about.

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

I’m pretty sure I read a book about direct marketing that said prices ending in “7” have a higher conversion rate (I can’t remember the book ATM).

I guess 7 is the new 9 ;)

Hugh Thyer
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

That’s correct Ray. It’s been tested a lot and 7 is the number that gets the highest response.

Except for Asian markets, where you use 8.

Hugh

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

heh, well isn’t that weird! I wonder if the magic 7 will be ruined by cummulative over use. I guess the Chinese have already figured that out :)

CathyHalliday
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

I read recently in an online marketing book that prices that end in the numbers 7 or 2 have been found to be the most accepted by buyers. It also said that for online marketing the best price range for products is between $30 and $97.

No idea why it works, but it seems fairly common….must be something to it!

BrightSpark
    • Total posts: 131
    Up

Part of the thought behind it is that if you use numbers ending with 9, 5, 0 you have just made the price up ie it came to $23.24 but it was rounded to $23.25 or $23.50 or $23.99 and if you are going to round a number you tend to go up whereas if the number ends in a 7 it is more likely thought of that it is the number that you worked out when adding your overheads.

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up

In the same way it has been proven that selling a product for $17 or $27 , makes no difference for the buyer…

That means if they were planning to buy it, they will choose regardless of being $17 or $27… what’s why you see more $27 priced Ebooks, subscriptions, etc.

wordmistress
    • Total posts: 504
    Up

Geez, you learn something new every day. I currently have a $99 press release special. Should I change it to $97 so it’ll look more attractive? lol Considering the going rate for a press release is about $400 for around 500 words, I’m thinking tacking the 9 on the end is neither here nor there, but what do I know about pricing? lol

waterfeature
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Personally, I think because 7 is not a round figure, so I guess it leaves
    the buyer some loose change. Just my guess. :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.