Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Why do people buy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Steven Hudson
    • Total posts: 122
    Up
    ::

Why do people buy?

We all know about functions, features and benefits, but why do people buy?

Is it because they want it or is it because they need it?

What do you think are decisions based on NEEDS or WANTS?

Astrid
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

Depends on what you sell I suppose.

I need flour and salt but I don’t need a Mercedes. But might want one :)

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

I think they’re both subsets of emotion, which is the true purchasing decision factor.

I NEED X to (EMOTION) Y
    I WANT X to (EMOTION) Y

I believe building on the NEED emotion is more powerful, because they’ll inflate value in their own minds and start to ignore the price. WANT emotion can be easily deflated by the wrong price.

Steven Hudson
    Up

Chris

I would have thought need decisions was based on logic and want decisions are based on emotions?

Cheers

Steven

Hugh Thyer
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

I just posted an article on this if you’re interested in reading it…
    http://salescomefirst.com/my-new-haircut-is-fine-so-why-am-i-disappointed/

Hugh

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

” Shewhomustbe” wont allow me to go into Bunnings, Boarders and Native Australian landscapes unless she is with me.

Norrmally I would Need something from either of these retail outlets and come out with many other items that just simply said ‘you have to buy me’. Impulse buying is big business and all retailers place these saleable items in the isle where the customer must go.

We have all done it sometimes only to regret our impulse buy.
    Woolworths and Coles supermarkets have candy near the checkout. Getting bored waiting to be served makes you hungry or you simply buy it because the kids are driving you crazy.

” Shewhomustbe” has a list of things she NEEDS and never buys anything thats not on that list, but to hit the fashion stores two hours later rarely does she not buy something. I glad we no longer have a busy social life.

Yes there are those items that we NEED to buy and there them that you buy simply on impulse often because there is a sign thatsays SALE

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up
    Steven Hudson, post: 28633 wrote:
    I would have thought need decisions was based on logic and want decisions are based on emotions?

I think they are one and the same. Once you have that emotion, you will justify it logically (wether logical or not, haha).

Why do you need something?

It may be something you NEED, but don’t WANT. But what’s the justification for needing it? I agree, that’s more a logical decision.

I NEED to go to the gym more often, but I don’t WANT to. It’s logical because I need to keep healthy.

But why do I need to keep healthy? Emotion. I don’t want to be overweight, or die early, or live unhealthily, etc.

rowan
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

I work on the presumption that people are much the same as other animals in our instincts. Everything we do revolves around a few ‘needs’ and the best advertising appeals to those needs:

• Territory – Anything that seems to give you the edge on your percieved rivals to property, or need to belong to a group – Buy this house and belong to our special community; buy Australian; do this course and be top of your field, etc.
    • Mating – If something advertises to attract the opposite sex… The people who advertise with sexy and unnatuarally pretty, or handsome people to sell cars, for example.
    • Pecking order – If others who I respect have something, I feel the need/want to have the same to maintain or improve my social position. Take all the products that are advertised using famous people.
    • Survival – Things that promote safety, food, comfort, self-reliance, etc

If you can appeal to any of those instincts, you should be able to market your products effectively. I tend to think that just giving a strong attractant like ‘FREE’ for example doesn’t work so well if it is not combined with a message about why a person would want it.
    Just research popular selling products and you can see how they market to instincts as well as the ‘want’ factor.

Cheers,
    Rowan

sixx
    • Total posts: 333
    Up
    Chris Bates, post: 28630 wrote:
    I believe building on the NEED emotion is more powerful, because they’ll inflate value in their own minds and start to ignore the price. WANT emotion can be easily deflated by the wrong price.

If you seek return custom again and again, I would be trying to fill the WANT emotion.

Infact, NEED is a reason, it’s not an emotion. Reason leads to conclusions, emotions lead to action.

If you look at primary emotions, joy, fear, disgust etc. they can all be performed alone. Secondary emotions, guilt, shame, envy, pride need input from another source whether it be a person, product or whatever. The king of secondary emotion is love.

Why do people buy? either reason or emotion.

Why do people return? L.O.V.E

soliddata
    • Total posts: 392
    Up

Yep thats what it is,

Purchases are always made on emotion and then defended on logic…

Kev

Steven Hudson
    Up
    soliddata, post: 28740 wrote:
    Yep thats what it is,

Kev

Hey Kev I think you are on the money…..I don’t think I have never seen heard or know about any one buying something if they don’t want it. And use a lot of logical talk to convince others it was a great buy.

Now, I know plenty of people who have bought stuff they don’t really need but some how it has ended up in their garage!!!

Cheers

Steven

soliddata
    • Total posts: 392
    Up

LOL, you should see what my wife buys and ends up in our garage…. ooops shhh, don’t anyone tell her I said anything :-)

Kev

Barb
    • Total posts: 144
    Up
    Burgo, post: 28697 wrote:
    ” Shewhomustbe” wont allow me to go into Bunnings, Boarders and Native Australian landscapes unless she is with me.

Norrmally I would Need something from either of these retail outlets and come out with many other items that just simply said ‘you have to buy me’. Impulse buying is big business and all retailers place these saleable items in the isle where the customer must go.

We have all done it sometimes only to regret our impulse buy.
    Woolworths and Coles supermarkets have candy near the checkout. Getting bored waiting to be served makes you hungry or you simply buy it because the kids are driving you crazy.

” Shewhomustbe” has a list of things she NEEDS and never buys anything thats not on that list, but to hit the fashion stores two hours later rarely does she not buy something. I glad we no longer have a busy social life.

Yes there are those items that we NEED to buy and there them that you buy simply on impulse often because there is a sign thatsays SALE

I love your post Burgo about “shewhomustbe” !!!! So true about heading into some stores and coming out with several other things that you didn’t initially go in there for (and quite possibly not even getting the item that you went in there for in the first place!!).

I must admit, I suffer from impulse buying, although really do try to stick to what we NEED as we have a tight budget. Thinking about grocery shopping (as this is the only shopping I don’t feel guilty about because we need to eat) and I think that if I shopped online and had my groceries delivered, rather than me going to the store, I would save quite a bit of money. I tend to buy alot of items that are on “special” and also, depending on my emothions while shopping will depend whether I buy chocolate, ice cream etc that are not on my shopping list.

Isn’t that what marketers are relying on, people either impulse buying or shopping with emotion???

Great subject…..

Regards,

nimmysnv
    • Total posts: 21
    Up
    soliddata, post: 28740 wrote:
    Yep thats what it is,

Kev

You have a point kev but it is important to make a purchase on the basis of market study and it should not be done with emotions otherwise it will become a big problem for you if your purchase will not worth.

Invest money in that area where you know that your money is worth otherwise dont without proper reference.

Thanks

sixx
    • Total posts: 333
    Up
    Barb, post: 28777 wrote:
    Isn’t that what marketers are relying on, people either impulse buying or shopping with emotion???

I think first and foremost good marketers are trying to build something that feels good so you go back whether it be a particular item, service or experience.
    This is sometimes done purely on emotion.
    Kids love Best & Less, Mums (who hold the credit card) love Osh Kosh.

It makes no sense to rely on impulse and counter shoppers if it’s a one-off occurance.
    In Burgos case, Bunnings and Borders brands are winning either way because they have obviously done something right to get him back regularly. They have done this so well that even shewhomustbe has cottoned onto it. The impulse buying goes without saying, but it’s the experience that is winning Burgos custom, not the counter items.

I’m in exactly the boat with the exact two companies.
    I could buy books way cheaper on ebay or Amazon, but I love to spend money at Borders.
    At the other end of the spectrum, I know I will always get a great price and a friendly attitude from Bunnings.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.