Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Why do people buy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    sixx
    • Total posts: 333
    Up
    ::
    4rbusiness, post: 28792 wrote:
    first and foremost because they need it..[whatever that thing is]
    secondly, they wanted it..
    lastly, some just feel like buying it..

The average woman with (at a guess) 2 million pairs of shoes “needs” another?

Barb
    • Total posts: 144
    Up
    sixx, post: 28795 wrote:
    The average woman with (at a guess) 2 million pairs of shoes “needs” another?

Yep, that’s me!!! And when I come home with a new pair, my husband always says “Now surely you can get rid of 1 pair?”!!!!

Steven Hudson
    • Total posts: 122
    Up

Reading an article from by good ole buddy Gary Simpson he was saying something like ‘people know they need to be healthy but they want to smoke”

Cheers

Steven

soliddata
    • Total posts: 392
    Up
    Steven Hudson, post: 29117 wrote:
    Reading an article from by good ole buddy Gary Simpson he was saying something like ‘people know they need to be healthy but they want to smoke”

Cheers

Steven

True isn’t it,

I was listening to a guy from USA on a teleseminar recently, and he quoted a study about taking statens (I think thats right) to prevent heart disease. Even though the patient understood logically that the chance of a heart attack dropped by X% every year when they kept taking the statens, and they knew there was no side effects, they still stopped taking them more often than not after about 6 months… so humans do many illogical things…

Kev

tlacey
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Gotta love the age old adage of “people buy emotionally, and justify logically.” In my experience customers will buy what they want and justify it in a way to make themselves believe they need the item. Although it does depend on the product I think this idea pops into most transaction. Although I need the Milk and Bread, I want the light milk and the multigrain bread, therefore by purchasing the latter I am attending to my needs I am also satisfying my want. Same with computers and electrical. We need a television, but want a 42″ flatscreen plasma optitron whizz-bang whacky-doo brand name beast. Most customers (with the means) will purchase of the better brand or model and use the need of a product as a justification.

Cheers,
    Tom

Steven Hudson
    • Total posts: 122
    Up

Thanks everyone for your imput on the subject.

My feeling from most of the responses is People buy on emotion i.e. Wants and justify it logically i.e. needs.

What about in a B2B situation do you think the same applies or is it based more on logic i.e. need base decisions?

Cheers

Steven

soliddata
    • Total posts: 392
    Up

Hi Steve,

In my experience selling to small business owners over the last ten years, they buy on emotion almost as much as consumers. Good ones will have defined understanding of their needs, but often the selection is made on feelings.

Kev

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.