Home – New Forums Tech talk Why does every website look the same?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 158 total)
  • Author
    karensaid
    • Total posts: 78
    Up
    ::
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 259000, member: 78928 wrote:
    Hi [USER=110616]@karensaid[/USER] – I read every word and agree:)

Especially about building on what successful businesses are already doing – making something better.

I am a member of a web designer group (lol) and some of what a lot of them do is beautiful work. There have been many discussions around the rise of WIX and others and how much they are pouring into advertising.

And they are worried.

But, the answer is in front of their nose – add value, team up with or learn, local SEO, buyer behaviour and conversion techniques, copywriting, Advertising platforms etc.

All of those things that generate more sales for their customers.

Thank you again Paul. :-) I know you know your stuff and that’s why I’m here as well. To learn off others. I would enjoy continuing this conversation with you and others further, around WIX and other online platform issues for SME. It’s a tangled web Paul, but I’m keen to get stuck in. I’ll name you in the thread if that’s ok?

Best Regards

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 259009, member: 78928 wrote:
    Hi Greg,

Yours is an interesting post.

It made me a little bit sad on the inside.

When I was recruiting, we would knock on doors and meet many soloists who did not want to grow – more power to them I used to think. Many had no need to advertise and if anything, some would complain about having too much work.

At the same time, the internet is responsible for creating so many opportunities that did not exist for soloers just a handful of years ago.

I have looked through the profiles of many past members who are not in the same business they were when active on this Forum and I always wonder if they closed the doors through their own choice.

I will never know.

On the upside, experts are working out “what works” and services are available to soloists that give them choice around their future if they get their fundamentals right today.

So many don’t.

Sometimes I wonder how many person-hours and what kind of emotional investment, family time together and other costs failed ventures are responsible for.

I think it is great that we can come together and share what works in a friendly environment. And good internet marketing (which works well when the overall business is competent) can mean difference between staying in business or closing the doors.

To me it is not boring at all – it is very exciting.

A tale of two cities huh?

I don’t have an issue with marketing and SEO as such, just an issue that many threads get bent to accommodate it, when it’s often irrelevant to the matter at hand.

I’ll reiterate that that FS own study shows many are happy with where they’re at and have no intention of seeking marketing growth strategies.

I’ve cruised through past member profiles a few times myself wondering what happened to them. Many have gone on to bigger and better things,the ones with real talent are generally still in business. A couple I still do business with in the real world (but they no longer participate here)

Web Designers and content marketers have easily the highest proportion off fail rates in ex members…yet many had very adamant philosophies about how to achieve success online…maybe they didn’t listen to their own BS.

I have plenty of respect for those that really know their stuff in online marketing, yourself included. I just think it needs to herded a little more carefully because for many it is boring…they’d rather just pay for an Ad.

Greg_M
    Up
    karensaid, post: 259025, member: 110616 wrote:
    I get where your coming from [USER=38207]@Greg_M[/USER]

But I never implied anyone wanted to be as big as Ebay or whatever, or be a millionaire, it was just an example.

There are a ton of smaller business examples, but obviously, I cannot name these otherwise I would have.

Like yourself, I’ve been in this industry a long time. Why I say that is because, MOST people in this industry, well, are great people who work their butts off for their clients, are ethical and hardworking like everyone else. So when I read, interpret seen as, negative connotations aimed at the industry, I’m gonna fire back.

If people are happy to plod along, good god, that’s all good right? SME are the backbone of any Nation but from what I see in this forum, they’re hungry for workable online advice.

Do I have it? That’s not up to me is it. Everything I wrote about, no one has to believe an ounce of it.

I am aware now, that you are not interested in any growth strategies or any type of online marketing, so I do apologize for entering interrupting your tongue and cheek party. It won’t happen again.

All the best.

I don’t have exclusivity to any thread, nor want it and am as guilty as anyone when it comes to getting off topic…but it had me tossed why, given the particular theme and tone of this thread we finish up getting coached in content marketing best practise.

It was just one too many content marketing 101 speils in a sea of them.
    Feel free to post anywhere you like I won’t be around to interfere either.

karensaid
    • Total posts: 78
    Up
    Greg_M, post: 259029, member: 38207 wrote:
    I don’t have exclusivity to any thread, nor want it and am as guilty as anyone when it comes to getting off topic…but it had me tossed why, given the particular theme and tone of this thread we finish up getting coached in content marketing best practise.

It was just one too many content marketing 101 speils in a sea of them.
    Feel free to post anywhere you like I won’t be around to interfere either.

I hear you, thanks for the lesson Greg_M – in hindsight, I rambled into what I didn’t need to on this particular thread, I’ll need to cap that ! :)

elkcreative
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Woah, lots of stuff in here.

I guess it’s not a simple single answer as to why all websites look the same. Sure its themes, its frameworks, its efficiency, design trends, client expectations etc.

But also I partly think that websites have moved to that next phase where people understand them a bit better.

It used to be part experimentation. In many ways, I miss the days of “flash” websites. People used to do some crazy stuff. But think of movies. When people first starting making them they didn’t know if they should be 15mins long or 15hours. They used to let characters build. Now every single superhero movie is the same. Music too.

It’s a bit “yawn” but the web has matured. Is it getting stale? Yup.

There will be a new wave or some trend. We’ll all jump ship and that will become stale also. Maybe CSS Grid will make it easier for layouts to get out of the carbon copy funk that its in. Who knows.

Greg_M
    Up
    elkcreative, post: 259068, member: 35053 wrote:
    Woah, lots of stuff in here.

I guess it’s not a simple single answer as to why all websites look the same. Sure its themes, its frameworks, its efficiency, design trends, client expectations etc.

But also I partly think that websites have moved to that next phase where people understand them a bit better.

It used to be part experimentation. In many ways, I miss the days of “flash” websites. People used to do some crazy stuff. But think of movies. When people first starting making them they didn’t know if they should be 15mins long or 15hours. They used to let characters build. Now every single superhero movie is the same. Music too.

It’s a bit “yawn” but the web has matured. Is it getting stale? Yup.

There will be a new wave or some trend. We’ll all jump ship and that will become stale also. Maybe CSS Grid will make it easier for layouts to get out of the carbon copy funk that its in. Who knows.

The web has got a little stale, and I also think consumers are getting a little more demanding in what they expect to find on the web, especially on phones.

It’s why I keep experimenting with just about anything that seems capable of smashing the current paradigms.

I’ve just spent a couple of weeks getting my head around Flexbox, which cuts huge chunks out of CSS positioning issues (and it’s good to go on pretty much any browser). Looks like CSS Grid will finish the job when it comes layout…as soon a it’s fully available on all browsers.

If you were a fan of Flash, you’re going to love Web Assembly…full native language coding for the browser, can run at 60 frames per second where even the best javascript implementations only run at about 5/6 frames per second.

Here’s a small 40 second video from Mozzilla on Zen Garden that gives you an idea of what it can do with visuals for the web, even gaming;

[MEDIA=youtube]TwuIRcpeUWE[/MEDIA]

Web Assembly is already a goer in the big 4 browsers (they’re all backing it) with lots more to come in what it can do.

I actually think we’re in for some quite exiting times on the web, and it’s why I keep banging away at the need to think outside the box…or risk dying on the sidelines.

elkcreative
    Up
    Greg_M, post: 259076, member: 38207 wrote:
    If you were a fan of Flash, you’re going to love Web Assembly…full native language coding for the browser

Looks very cool.

Hopefully, it’s accessible for non-tech creatives to get stuck into tho. That was the beauty of flash. It had a low barrier of entry (apart from purchasing the software). People would start playing with it and then learn more about ActionScript as they went.

Going full circle, that’s a bit like animation and effects now. Creating custom animated SVG is often more work than budgets allow, so we all just use WOW.js and again we all look the same.

Unless I’m missing something, and there’s a great easy editor around?

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up
    Greg_M, post: 258852, member: 38207 wrote:
    BTW is that R for “rude” or R for ‘repetitious”

Er… rude!
    :)

Greg_M
    Up

Just as a reminder of how the web looked before web designers got design.

I seem to remember there was very good money building these back in the day.

They still all looked the same though.

A bit of fun from Adidas;

https://www.adidas.com/us/yung

elkcreative
    Up
    Greg_M, post: 262601, member: 38207 wrote:

I seem to remember there was very good money building these back in the day.

They still all looked the same though.

A bit of fun from Adidas;

https://www.adidas.com/us/yung

It’s funny, I was talking about this at a WordPress meet up last night and used this site as the reference. I also had a chat today with [USER=105019]@Hassle Free Website[/USER]

The tech behind this is actually very good. It’s certainly not built like we did back in the 90’s.

If you want to see how many people are making websites like this now, go here: http://brutalistwebsites.com/

Is it novelty? Sure is, but its come from the feeling that the web is cookie cutter.

Greg_M
    Up

I didn’t realise this site was listed on brutalist website, it came to me via an email newsletter https://frontendfoc.us/issues/362 not a bad newsletter imo.

I think I referenced brutalist websites early on in this thread and copped an absolute bagging for doing so.

Agreed, the machinery driving this 90’s copy is far superior to naything done back then.

elkcreative
    Up
    Greg_M, post: 262603, member: 38207 wrote:
    I think I referenced brutalist websites early on in this thread and copped an absolute bagging for doing so.

hahaha, probably. There’s an interesting conversation around what drives tastes in aesthetics. Trends come and go, but how long does something have to be ugly until its beautiful once more? While I don’t know the answer, I do know my clients would kill me if I tried this out on them ;)

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Greg_M, post: 262601, member: 38207 wrote:

g
    [USER=38207]@Greg_M[/USER] are you saying little progress has being made

Greg_M
    Up
    bb1, post: 262605, member: 53375 wrote:
    [USER=38207]@Greg_M[/USER] are you saying little progress has being made

Ha ha, perhaps.

The tech that delivers it all has evolved immensely but in some quarters it’s still the way to sell websites, right or wrong a lot of clients love widgets.

Not so long ago you couldn’t look your neighbour in the eye if you didn’t have a “slider” (one that tumbled as it opened was top shelf), now most reviews say “get rid of the slider” it’s killing you.

Maybe “parallax” is next, pity I’ve made a few bucks out of it :)

As mentioned, trends come and go. The sheep will fall inline and buy, they always have.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Greg_M, post: 262606, member: 38207 wrote:
    As mentioned, trends come and go. The sheep will fall inline and buy, they always have.
    But a real designer who doesn’t just rely on templates can sell a unique design to the sheep.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 158 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.