Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Why I don’t bother with this section any more

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I used to love this section of the forums – I thought I could use my skills to help others. I have never asked for anything in return, and always have tried to be honest without being rude.

However, it seems many people already have their own preconceived ideas and any suggestions are brushed aside or treated with treated with contempt and laughed away.

Some even look at our own website and offer their own ‘suggestions’ like they are so offended I could criticise their baby they need to find something on our site they don’t like so it makes them feel better.

You asked for a review. I did not.

I spent my time looking at your website, and offered my professional opinion.

You don’t need to agree with me, but a simple ‘Thanks for looking’ is enough.

I have been insulted, had my own ability questioned, swore at, emailed abuse, had our own site design questioned, and occasionally (rarely) thanked.

So good luck with your websites everyone!

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Howdy Matt

Well written… i for one have always liked your reviews, concise and factual – non emotive which makes for a good review..

Although i have not been brave enough to post for a review of my own web site, i have deployed several of you observations of others sites into my own.. or researched them to at least learn a little more on my own… for that, i personally thank you..

In fact, i am going to go one more and say that although i like your post in the way it was written, it sort of saddens me that you have done so.. or that there was reason for you to do so.. As your reviews tended to be some of the only ones from a web creators perspective that actually contributed without blatantly plugging your own services as many others tend to do!…and to me, personally, this showed your intent on helping more so than selling someone on you.. Lead by example, show expertise rather than comment for advertising.

Always looking forward to seeing you in here mate (maybe under a different category though :) )…

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    MatthewKeath
    Up
    SimplyReplica, post: 187670 wrote:
    Howdy Matt

Well written… i for one have always liked your reviews, concise and factual – non emotive which makes for a good review..

Although i have not been brave enough to post for a review of my own web site, i have deployed several of you observations of others sites into my own.. or researched them to at least learn a little more on my own… for that, i personally thank you..

In fact, i am going to go one more and say that although i like your post in the way it was written, it sort of saddens me that you have done so.. or that there was reason for you to do so.. As your reviews tended to be some of the only ones from a web creators perspective that actually contributed without blatantly plugging your own services as many others tend to do!…and to me, personally, this showed your intent on helping more so than selling someone on you.. Lead by example, show expertise rather than comment for advertising.

Always looking forward to seeing you in here mate (maybe under a different category though :) )…

JasonThanks – maybe I will make a novelty account called ‘The masked website reviewer’ or something…

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 187673 wrote:
    Thanks – maybe I will make a novelty account called ‘The masked website reviewer’ or something…

Ha, that would be brilliant.

I think you have problems because you’re coming from a design perspective, and everyone’s already an expert in design ;)

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 187673 wrote:
    Thanks – maybe I will make a novelty account called ‘The masked website reviewer’ or something…

I have always contemplated creating a second identity for those times when you just need to tell it like it is and not tread on egg shells.

I agree and have experienced similar things here, but not quite to the extent you’ve described. There is an understandable tendency for people to get upset because their site is their baby and they get attached emotionally.

One thing I am always surprised about is the volume of people who request a review AFTER they’ve already gone and changed a whole bunch of stuff, and presumably after spending money doing it. In those cases I can understand the tendency to get even more hurt when people are critical of a newly redesigned website, but that still doesn’t justify it.

There are a lot of “review my site” requests where I think what they really want is a pat on the back for building a website, and less often where they actually want genuine feedback.

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

Hi Matthew,

You know what? That would be a real shame.

I don’t normally come to this section because, well I am not really interested. But I did because I saw this heading.

If you have read any of my posts you will have seen that I often fly pretty close to the wind in terms of being argumentative and confrontational. I know that’s what people see in some of my comments, but it’s never meant in a personal way. I always like to confront comments I don’t agree with, but generally take the time to explain my position. Sadly, too many people make statements then aren’t prepared to explain further when questioned. (oops, there I go again)

Noone ever abuses me, and I feel sort of left out now.

I also know that many people don’t take in what I have written. I know because the same questions get asked over and over again. The reason I keep answering them is because I hope that someone may read it and get some benefit, even if not directed at them.

I get no real business from here, but I have learnt a few things. So that’s OK for me.

You are not like that though.

Whether you are right or wrong, I don’t know because my technical knowledge is that of a complete dullard. (I don’t even have a website so that tells you something.)

But, your feedback and comments are well thought out and clear, and show you have taken time to make those determinations.

I don’t know what you get from here, but you have certainly given a lot of what seems to be advice from someone who knows a bit about what they are talking about.

And that’s why I say it would be a shame.

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

Hi Matthew,

I just wanted to reiterate the sentiment of the others in this thread. I think it would be a shame if you did stop posting in this section, because from what I can see your posts have always been honest and well thought out and you appear to have some exceptional talent that the rest of us have and do learn a lot from.

I think some people do get hurt when they find out that not everyone loves their website (or business idea) as much as they do, and in turn lash out childishly at the people who are honest enough to give them the honest critique that they asked for. That’s human nature unfortunately.

Obviously it’s up to you whether you continue to contribute here or not, but I think you should know that many people, even some who don’t post at all, or infrequently, get a lot of value from your input.

Cheers,
    John

theholidayshoppe
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Hi Matthew,

I saw that response and was quite taken aback. I would hope that wasn’t the norm.

When I asked for a review I was willing to take the bad with the good, in fact it was the bad I was after. There’s a reason you need ‘new eyes’ to look at what you’ve done, me personally, I needed people outside of my crowd who weren’t going to give me a pat on the back. Telling me that what I’ve done is great isn’t what I want to hear, if it was, my traffic and conversion rates would be better and I wouldn’t need to post my website here….lol.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that there really are people out there who need advice from skilled professionals. I’ve taken all the advice I was posted, and, as per one of the replies I received, will be calling you later.

Don’t give up, I know that I received a lot of really good advice from JohnW, Maclean, Martin and others which I couldn’t get anywhere else. Loved your reply Octopus Labs because although I was building a Wix site, I didn’t want it to look like a typical Wix site…lol.

Cheers,
    Michelle

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Hi All

It’s the openness and generosity of this community that makes it special and as others have said, it’s not unusual for candid feedback to unsettle some people.

I hope the support shown in this thread will help convince our resident experts, like Matt to keep sharing their knowledge.

Robert :)

Hushy
    • Total posts: 40
    Up

Everyone’s review is a valued input no matter how great or horrible it is, sometimes understanding reviews can be very difficult.. I think reviews should he handled in a way where you’re not throwing dirt in someones face but giving them advice on how to fix the problem, People work in all different manners but I would prefer the honest and most important, polite constructive way of starting a review.

Writing a review on a half constructed site saying -this is big – its confusing – this – this – with no explanation can’t be taken in a serious form at all!

For instance, if you think a header is too big, maybe say… “on first look I think that your header might be a little too big for your site, it takes up a lot of room on my monitor and gets in the way of navigating your site, maybe if you downsized it to 300px high it would have a better effect”

If you have had numerous people “Swear, send abusive emails” doesn’t that make you sit back and think about how you carry your business in a public forum?

That’s just my thought, and I look forward to reading your future reviews.

MatthewKeath
    Up

Thanks for everyones comments :)

affgar
    • Total posts: 123
    Up

Fair shake of the sauce bottle :D lol

Some people who ask for reviews are really only wanting praise I think.
    It is wonderful & valuable to have feedback … As Michelle said …. You WANT the BAD. In business 9 times out of 10 you won’t get honest feedback. It is invaluable.

If you are serious about improving your brand, website, business you need to look at feedback objectively.
    Though having said that … as a reviewer you have to be able to take a .. thanks but no thanks also, or a counter opinion.

Keep posting .. don’t let the comments of a few ruin it for the many so to speak.
    And as said above … when it comes to design everyone is an expert! And really .. in a sense there is no right or wrong. ~~~cringe~~~

Keep contributing :)

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 187668 wrote:
    I have been insulted, had my own ability questioned, swore at, emailed abuse, had our own site design questioned, and occasionally (rarely) thanked.

If you’ve got haters, then you’re doing something right ;)

Spend time with people that pay you.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Matt,
    I’ve only been involved with Internet marketing since 1994.

For all of that time I’ve been saying “90% of the money spent on the web is wasted”.

All that has changed over 20 years is what people can waste their money on.

Most of the “review” opinions voiced on Flying Solo are from people whose opinions are based on VERY, VERY limited education, knowledge and experience.

Therefore the reader has to make his/her own decision about the value of the advice provided.

Expect uniformed responses to be the norm!

Don’t be discouraged!

Those of us who hang around here and respect your opinions can only offer the encouragement to…

Keep the faith brother and keep contributing.

Best regs,
    JohnW

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

…and don’t forget all the people that ask for a review, but are really just trying to get traffic and links to their sites.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.