Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Why I think blogging is still the dogs b#ll#cks!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up
    ::

Yesterday a new roof rack arrived in Australia which we are quite excited about and I think will be one of our core products. So when I got home last night I tossed up between watching the footy or dusting off my old blog.

So an hour and half of cutting/pasting some images from my website and writing a couple of paragraphs of text and my first blog post in a year (yes it embarrassed me when I realised it had been a year since my last post).

Today I did a google search on “Thule WingBar Edge Sydney” (ok, niche and specific but that is my market) to see if google had indexed the post overnight.

It was number 1! Even pushing out my own website with several pages on the topic to numbers 4 and 5 as well pushing Thule’s own website to 2 and3. In 12 hours.

Goog-screenshot.jpg

So I am off to slap myself around the face a few times for letting blogging slip and then I am going to get right back into it.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Love your work Steve – and thanks for sharing this with us.

I’m sure it will inspire a few others to get cracking too.

And lovely to see your smiling face on the boards too :)
    Jayne

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Steve,
    Before you get excited about the wrong thing…

Your own web page as indexed by Google is a dud. (“Page can’t be found” error). Did you change the URL after Google indexed it?

If you let G index your correct page, I would expect it to rank #1.

I’d also expect your blogspot.com page to slowly drop down the rankings. Why it is so high at present is due to a combination of factors that probably include:

1. A tiny search market – only 30k matching pages. (This FS post currently ranks #5.)

2. Query deserves freshness – a transient effect that often disappears quickly.

IMHO, I’d recommend:

• Publishing your article on your own domain, not blogspot.com. It should then retain a permanancy in the ranking results that a blogspot page is unlikely to maintain.
    • Creating an eye-catching link from your “blog” article to the ordering page on your website.

After all, why blog if it is not to increase orders?
    Regs,
    JohnW

Steve_Minshall
    Up

Ok deep breathes….I’m not sure I want to do this but I am going to disagree on a forum with an OL marketing expert:eek:

The link works for me. I threw in a couple of videos to the blog yesterday which may have temporarily disrupted the URL.

1. yes ‘tiny’ search market, that is called a niche which is what small business is all about. If I sell 10 of these I’ve made 1200 bucks, I think that’s good for a couple of hours work, a chain store would think it is irrelevent and wouldn’t bother. So the point I was making on this forum (for small businesses) is if you are very specific about who you want to target it is incredibly easy to get noticed for a very small investment in time. This could generate sales that are not huge but worthwhile for a small business only feeding a couple of mouths.
    2. Transient: disagree, ‘mazda cx9 rails’ number 1 after 4 years. That tiny little search niche has given me over $25k in sales for a couple of hours work 4 years ago and is still working for me. If you add “Sydney” to a search on every single targeted post I have made in the last 4 years it will come up in the top handful of sites, often number 1.

Thanks for your recommendations. I know it is commonly accepted to put your blog on your own website. The question of permanency I dispute based on 4 years of history as shown by the above example, which is one of many. The other reasons I like a separate blog I am not going to go into because it is a whole different thread topic that I know would see me shouting at the wind.

I do have links to the order page for each of the products within the blog but you are right they could be much more obvious. (if you find the URL broken again it is probably because I am making this change )

Thanks for taking the time to offer your thoughts John and I know you are an expert in best practice. However, I have found I have got acceptable results from making this stuff up as I go along, listening to people like you along the way and doing it a little bit better next time.

In this instance however, please don’t pooh-pooh what I think is a relevant observation and useful to others, who are looking for tips to do something, cheap and easy to get noticed. I value your knowledge, but my personal experience does not agree with all of your observations in this case. I have found this a useful tactic with proven results.

I can tell people “here try this, I find it works” and you can tell them how to do it properly. However, your post suggests that what I have said is not only poorly executed but irrelevant as a tactic as well. I concede the former but not the later.

JohnW, post: 165900 wrote:
    Hi Steve,
    Before you get excited about the wrong thing…

Your own web page as indexed by Google is a dud. (“Page can’t be found” error). Did you change the URL after Google indexed it?

If you let G index your correct page, I would expect it to rank #1.

I’d also expect your blogspot.com page to slowly drop down the rankings. Why it is so high at present is due to a combination of factors that probably include:

1. A tiny search market – only 30k matching pages. (This FS post currently ranks #5.)

2. Query deserves freshness – a transient effect that often disappears quickly.

IMHO, I’d recommend:

• Publishing your article on your own domain, not blogspot.com. It should then retain a permanancy in the ranking results that a blogspot page is unlikely to maintain.
    • Creating an eye-catching link from your “blog” article to the ordering page on your website.

After all, why blog if it is not to increase orders?
    Regs,
    JohnW

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up

Great work Steve,

Don’t neglect the other Siamese Twin now…

A personal and informative email to your database pulling them to your knowledge.

Steve_Minshall
    Up
    Warren Cottis, post: 165956 wrote:
    Great work Steve,

Don’t neglect the other Siamese Twin now…

A personal and informative email to your database pulling them to your knowledge.

Thanks Warren, your not going to let me hide from that one are you?:D

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up

Just trying to help you make some money, Steve

I have to pay for my accountability partner to kick my butt :p

Steve_Minshall, post: 165958 wrote:
    Thanks Warren, your not going to let me hide from that one are you?:D
    JohnW
    Up

Hi Steve,
    I’m not “pooh-poohing” your post, I’m trying to help with what I believe may be a misinterpretation of the situation.

Today I’m seeing different G results to yesterday. I now see the following top 10 G results for the search phrase: Thule WingBar Edge Sydney

1. Thule website page
    2. Thule website page
    3. shop1auto.com.au/Roof_Rack_Models/Thule_9584_WingBar-Edge_roofracks.html (I still get a 404 error message when I try to click through.)
    4. This Flying Solo forum page
    5. shop1auto.blogspot.com.au (Your blog Home page, not the article page you referenced initially.)
    6. Whirlpool forum page
    7. thulestorebotany page
    8. thulestorebotany page
    9. gumtree page
    10. gumtree page

A very quick look and I did not see your originally referenced page (shop1auto.blogspot.com.au/2013/07….) in the top 50 G results.

If you see different results you may want to clear your browser memory and NOT be logged into any Google accounts that may skew your search results. Now try your search phrase again.

I think G has just culled your Blogspot article from its index. It may re-index it at a later date then delete it again and repeat the cycle.

G has indexed 4.5 billion Blogspot pages. This number will go up and down like a yo-yo as G tries to reduce the size of its index. You can expect this to happen with all large web sites.

Small websites like your primary domain are usually much more stable in G’s index and posting the same article on your own site instead of Blogspot will ensure it is more likely to be retained in G’s index.

All I’m saying is that IMHO, the same article published on your own domain should attract more SE referrals to your site than if published on a 3rd party domain.

PS: Your Blogspot page that currently ranks #5 was last indexed by G on 24 Jul. This version of the page does not even include your WingBar Edge article. This is how G “reads” it.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Steve_Minshall
    Up
    JohnW, post: 165970 wrote:
    All I’m saying is that IMHO, the same article published on your own domain should attract more SE referrals to your site than if published on a 3rd party domain.

You were saying my post was irrelevant because it was an insignificant search term and that it would have no longevity.

I disagreed because I have generated $25k of sales (and continue to) from an equally insignificant search term over a period of 4 years using exactly the same method. I also fit lots of towbars to BMW X5s and VW Golfs, roof racks to iLoads, etc from enquiries generated by a simple, amateur blog.

I was just making an observation about how quickly it could be found after it was posted. Even if it has now been pushed down the blog home page by another post that was updated yesterday. It is still very findable.

As I said 3rd party hosting vs on-site hosting is a different discussion altogether that I haven’t got the inclination to debate.

The 404error is for my own website not the blog. It is irrelevant to this discussion and is a result of a very recent re-structuring on my website. Nothing to do with the blog.

JohnW
    Up

Hi Steve,
    If you thought I was being critical I appologise.

Your thread title is, “Why I think blogging is still the dogs b#ll#cks!”

Google indexed your website product page (shop1auto.com.au/Roof_Rack_Models/Thule_9584_WingBar-Edge_roofracks.html) on 29 May 13 and it is now your top ranked page for the search phrase. (When did you publish that one?)

2-3 days after it was published, G de-indexed the blog page on which you are basing your conclusion.

Steve_Minshall, post: 165726 wrote:
    So I am off to slap myself around the face a few times for letting blogging slip and then I am going to get right back into it.
    I don’t understand your conclusion. Shouldn’t it be about publishing more content on your own site not on your blog? :confused:
    Regs,
    JohnW
    RymeraWebCo
    • Total posts: 27
    Up

Blogging is still the dogs b#ll#cks and while you’re not going to get 1000’s of visitors from specific terms like this there is proven value is targeting the long tail terms. They also usually deliver more motivated buyers.

I suggest to anyone who has a blog to go into their analytics and compare the percentage of people that find your site via your main keywords vs. the rest (being the long tail). It can be quite revealing how quickly those 1s, 2s and 3s add up to significant traffic.

Blog on!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.