Home – New Forums Other discussions Why I think I’m extremely lucky…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    ::

…because over the past few months while getting feedback for my product, I have had the privilege of meeting some amazing people dealing with disability.

I’ve also realised that no-one in my family has to deal with disability. We are all extremely lucky.

So now I feel the need to start looking for charities that I can support in some way (not financially since I have no money…at least not yet lol) and I’ve decided to start by joining the Parkinson’s WA Unity Walk. I’ve set up a team “Couple It” and will be inviting all my friends in Perth to join me on Sunday September 9. I’d love for FS members living in Perth to jump in too. I’m sure we won’t be walking so fast that we can’t chat the whole time :D

Otherwise, a small donation to support the team would be wonderful. The link is http://www.unitywalkfundraising.com.au/couple_it to either join or donate.

I’m off to start getting fit !!

Wendy :)

Garenius
    • Total posts: 41
    Up

May I just say that you are a great person for doing this.

I have several charities I am working with and it is always gratifying to help people with disabilities.

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

Hi Wendy,

I think this is a brilliant idea! How fortunate that the work you have chosen has brought you into contact with folks who’ve inspired you.

Keep an eye on our Facebook page and later this week I’ll give the walk a little plug to the FS community there. You never know, some Perth based soloists may hear about it there.

LOVE your work!

Sam

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

You beat me to it Wendy… I have ummed and ahhed about posting a link here to raise funds for a walk I am doing next month in Melbourne but decided against it… I should’ve just gone with it :)

Unfortunately, I’d probably have to start walking tomorrow to get to WA in time – so might just click through and donate instead.

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

After not being able to choose between charities (and not trusting them) I have been using http://www.kiva.org where you can lend people in poor countries small amounts of money (25$) to help them set up their own small businesses. When they pay back the money you can either get it back or relend it to someone else.

Although there is a small chance of not getting paid back I have never had anyone default in the two years I have been lending, and I can afford to lose $25 occasionally anyway.

I usually lend to people in agriculture to buy animals to breed from or resell but you can lend for people to fix their homes, buy fertiliser and other things as well.

Kiva are having a promotion at the moment where they give you a free trial so you can lend $25 for nothing just to see if it suits you. If you want to take advantage of this free trial here is my invitation link:

http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/rowan9428

I love Kiva and it is a way that I can help without having to have much money.

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

Good move. We have recently had the Spinal Muscular Atrophy Association of Australia join our BNI chapter and we’ve begun having fund raisers for them in the way of a ball, jewellery party and so on. Several of the members have gotten actively involved. Been a good thing to do – giving back to community. I’ve done it in various ways for many years through my business. [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

I just started using Kiva too… seems like an interesting idea.

spinninghill
    • Total posts: 345
    Up

Nice work all. I’ll give a selfless plug to a charity called I Give a Buck foundation – for terminally ill and disbaled children. Their philosophy is if everyone can give just 1 buck, they can make a difference. check them out if you get a moment.

Michael

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Great post Wendy,

We have been toying with this for some time and recently started to work with a large local charity. Do not want to tarnish anyones want to do good, although we were quickly advised by some organisations that the charity we were ‘assisting’ were really only assisting the directors and not the beneficiaries.. so we are currently on the look out for a new association.

So i appreciate everyones input and may look into a few of the comments.. kiva seems ok…

Will try update as have a meeting in 3 weeks with another charity.

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.