Home – New Forums Selling online Why is my eBay store not selling?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Supanovalighting
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,
    I would really love some feedback on my eBay store.
    Obviously I am failing to do something as things are not happening as planned.
    I know the product is superior to 95% of the other listings in quality, reasonably priced, I’ve got 100% feedback on the few I have sold already. Free shipping, the lot.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

stores.ebay.com.au/supernova-lighting?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    Supanovalighting, post: 188182 wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    I know the product is superior to 95% of the other listings in quality, reasonably priced, I’ve got 100% feedback on the few I have sold already. Free shipping, the lot.

It does take time to get things moving online and I see that you have only been selling since March this year. So that is a couple of months not long enough to get any good feedback.

The store is very bland and you only have 5 products on sale.

Because you are a new seller there is no really useful feedback from your customers. You should also look at the eBay training – http://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/training.

What have your marketing strategies been so far?

Just setting up a eBay store and hope won’t get you sales.

If you want to improve your site design go and get a eBay store template (search Google) or use someone like frooition.

John

Jason G
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

Hi Supernovalighting,

First off, congratulations on opening your eBay store.

There could be a few reasons that come to mind as to why things are not going to plan.

1) Is there a high demand in the market?
    2) How many direct competitors do you have?

I see you have only just launched your store. In my past experience with eBay, it can take a bit of time before sales start increasing.

You could also try using listing upgrades such as featured listings (i don’t know if eBay still offers this).

Have you got a Facebook page for your business? With Facebook, you could do a few targeted ad campaigns, specifying the demographic, location & interests of the potential customers you want to target.

You’ve already made sales, all with great feedback, and your descriptions feature all important information. I believe in time sales should increase.

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Great advice received already.

It is important that you think about your eBay store as just that “A Store”. You must treat it as a business and promote it accordingly.

Best wishes utilising the tips you have been provided here and keep working at it.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Price and user requirement are 2 big factors.

Looking at them they are not ones that the average home owner can install themselves so you are looking at a limited market, and than it comes to price comapred to wholesalers

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Supa

First of all CONGRATS, not on opening the store although on asking for feedback… Then congrats on finding a product you appear passionate about and then opening the store..

My initial comment, is not store related, although it is the perception of most people thinking ‘hey i am going to open an ebay store and WOW i will be HUGE in this market”.. unfortunately, like all businesses, there are many factors to becoming successful on ANY LEVEL…

You need to think about eBay as Kelly (MissSassy) has said and treat it as a store that needs to be promoted. The problem you may be facing right not has been mentioned and it lies in the merit of how young your store is, how limited the amount of products are and how limited your feedback is… All these factors have a HUGE affect on who will buy from you, where your store appears in priority of search results and the likes..

Although you have 6(although only feedback of 3 as there were multiple purchases from same buyers) positive reviews this does not equal confidence yet… And combine that with being so ‘young’ of only just opening, i dont think you are giving yourself enough time to get traction… it can take months, like any business, to get valid traction from any marketing be it eBay, online, direct, telephone etc etc. this eBay format is just one medium..

I will dig a little deeper though, and hopefully it is helpful, around your listing.. hope you dont mind..

A couple of things that may affect instant purchases would be as below:
    – listing itself is quite bland and states listed via eBay mobile
    suggested fix: Look for a free template listing tool (sorry i use a mac so no advice here from me) that will allow you to list it a little more professionally and with additional pictures and the likes.. Various pictures, not just one.. show the box, show the product, etc etc.. maybe even show one that has been installed so it ‘looks good’.. this will add to buyer confidence.
    – You have a gmail email address..
    suggested fix: have you considered registering a business name + domain + email address set up with the domain name handle to look more professional? i notice that supernovalighting.com.au is available for registering :)
    – No web site:
    suggested fix: set up a web site so if people google you they can see you ARE A REAL BUSINESS.. this adds to integrity and credibility
    – No contact number on eBay
    suggested fix: Add a contact number in case anyone has any verbal queries.. we get a few calls a day from listings with our contact details clearly listed.. It also shows you have nothing to HIDE and are contactable for help! also, may help you keep sales OFF EBAY if you are set up to handle this.
    – No compelling message to buy from you!
    suggested fix: create a listing with reasons why they should buy from you.. like, we are a local QLD business and have been importing these for xx years.. this product is an overstock from a large commercial grade job we recently had, generally $xx, be quick not many left!
    – New seller with lots of items for sale (10+)
    suggested fix: maybe limit the number of items, just a thought, to create a sense of urgency in the buyer so they DONT MISS OUT :) not sure if this would work as people may want more than 2 or 3 at a time.. if so, put a message in the listing ” if want more than x please contact us to check stock as we may have some” or similar…

Sorry, this post has become longer than expected.. my apologies…

My biggest comment would be to give it time, as time breeds success with this type of medium… the more feedback and success you have, the more success you will incur..

Generally speaking, to those that i have helped in the past with eBay stores i ALWAYS recommend you start the name BEFORE the key business starts and list as many cheap items (be it from home or ANYWHERE) to get purchases going through the store and to get your feedback up BEFORE you start selling the business items.. there are ways to ‘hide’ what is sold so people will not see you sold a bicycle helmet etc or you can wait a few months and description goes away :)

Anyways, gotta run.. if i overlooked something hit me a reply.

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    vhit
    • Total posts: 70
    Up

Hi Supa
    Sales on eBay depend mostly on: how popular the item is, how much competition you have, and how high you are in the search results.

Looks like you chose a popular item. But maybe lots of competition.

These things will get your listing higher in the eBay search results:
    -Having a good feedback score
    -Being a “power seller”
    -Having an eBay store
    -MOST IMPORTANT: selling multiples of the same item. You need to make a listing that is “good till finished”. And sell multiples in that listing. This will get your listing higher in the search results. This is why eBay is a long-term business. eBay is quite risky business, in my opinion.

I think you should start with a very small quantity of an item, to limit your risk. Try a diverse range of items, and see what works. When I did it, I would use dropshipping for items first, and if I could get the listing high on the search results, I would buy in bulk.

John Debrincat
    Up
    Supanovalighting, post: 188182 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

One other thing that I should have mentioned. I see from your profile that you are in the Gold Coast. You should get along to the PESA Internet Conference (Professional eBay Sellers Association) 28th – 30th May at the Gold Coast Convention Centre. There are many sessions that are focused on improving your eBay sales. eBay send along a lot of good people and are there to answer your questions.

If you want to attend and want a discount code let me know.

eCorner will be exhibiting there as well so drop by and say hello if you do make it.

John

Supanovalighting
    Up

Wow thanks everyone for the massive amount of knowledge.

Looks like I have a bit to work on!

Supanovalighting
    Up
    John Debrincat, post: 188265 wrote:
    One other thing that I should have mentioned. I see from your profile that you are in the Gold Coast. You should get along to the PESA Internet Conference (Professional eBay Sellers Association) 28th – 30th May at the Gold Coast Convention Centre. There are many sessions that are focused on improving your eBay sales. eBay send along a lot of good people and are there to answer your questions.

If you want to attend and want a discount code let me know.

eCorner will be exhibiting there as well so drop by and say hello if you do make it.

John

Would love a discount code. Sounds like a worthwhile event!

John Debrincat
    Up
    Supanovalighting, post: 188419 wrote:
    Would love a discount code. Sounds like a worthwhile event!

I sent you a private message with the code.

John

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up

Mate I suggest you also check out one of my blog posts – http://buildingmyebaybusiness.com/write-best-title-ebay-listing/

You’ve got 80 characters there so make the most of them!

4 feedback is really going to hurt you, anything you need to buy over the next few weeks, do so through eBay if you can. Feedback as a buyer will still add to your feedback score and it’s way easier to get.

Pay $20/month to get upgraded to an eBay store and list your items as GTC (good til cancelled) This way any watches and sales raise the profile of you item in the search results.

I will however say, that you’re in a HUGELY saturated market here which is compounded by the fact that there is so much competition from China with free postage.

Have you considered listing it as a bulk/lot listing to just sell it and get it over and done with? Is your ambition to start an eBay store or just to move the excess stock?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.