Home Forums Tech talk Why most small-medium business shouldn’t outsource SEO

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 106 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    AmberS
    • Total posts: 66

Matthew and Chaase, I’ve seen a few threads over the past months where discussions around the pointlessness of solid marketing strategies on websites, like modern styling, large images, contact forms, sliders etc… because they slow down sites and that is the most important aspect. But as I mentioned earlier, speed is great, but when it comes at a cost of the website working as the marketing tool it should be, where is the value for the business owner? I have checked out a lot of these sites, put up as examples of fast, mobile friendly sites and they don’t cut it and are so difficult to use as a customer.

I agree sites need to load (or at least begin loading) quickly, but for me, designing a great, modern looking website, that has maximum functionality and that also loads quickly is a priority – I create the best website for the client’s needs, then make it quick.

These are the sorts of things small business owners need to be aware of when engaging anyone, really find out where their priorities lie, and what they consider to be a success. Not everyone offering internet marketing services (not just on FS) do the right thing by the client (as indicated by the many horror stories I’m sure we’ve all heard), and if the sorts of question I’ve raised get them to ask more questions and not just accept services at face value, then that’s a good thing for those of us who are doing the right thing isn’t it?

Amber

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    AmberS, post: 208650 wrote:
    Good quality SEO can be expensive, slow to pay off and very time consuming, which for a small business needing to turn over money can be a big gamble when not implementing other short term marketing actions to get clients in the door.Most businesses could benefit from organic traffic.
    However, it’s not the case all the time and I know of people that have turned down clients because their is no traffic for them to optimise to. I am sure it’s the same for people here.

SEO is about creating referrals through the search engines, and then offering advice / suggestions to ensure that the traffic gets converted by the customer.

I don’t think an SEO has to be a full stack marketer, and it’s a bit unfair to suggest they are giving poor advice because the offer search engine solutions to the problem.

If a business is putting all their marketing eggs in the SEO basket the they are the ones that need to be held to account, not the SEO company they engage.

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591
    Kumar, post: 0 wrote:
    Outsourcing is not good way for business. Better to do it by yourself. If you do than you can find out the errors and problems for the website which third party can not give you.

Food for thought: Maybe if you outsourced in the first place, you wouldn’t have any errors or problems to worry about.

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591

Thank goodness we have search engines like Google, otherwise, why have a website in the first place.

How boring the Internet would be, if there were no Google topics to talk about?

AmberS
    • Total posts: 66
    MatthewKeath, post: 208653 wrote:
    Most businesses could benefit from organic traffic.
    However, it’s not the case all the time and I know of people that have turned down clients because their is no traffic for them to optimise to. I am sure it’s the same for people here.

SEO is about creating referrals through the search engines, and then offering advice / suggestions to ensure that the traffic gets converted by the customer.

I don’t think an SEO has to be a full stack marketer, and it’s a bit unfair to suggest they are giving poor advice because the offer search engine solutions to the problem.

If a business is putting all their marketing eggs in the SEO basket the they are the ones that need to be held to account, not the SEO company they engage.

I completely agree and I think that often business owners need to educate themselves to know what to look for, to find the right fit for their needs.

My concern is with SEO companies portraying themselves to be more than what they are, implying that their advice is holistic when it is still quite Googlecentirc.

I guess I see it a lot where a company that is really SEO, promises a pile extra – content, social, web design and just don’t deliver because it isn’t their core business, but the way Google is going, they feel the need to move in that direction. Unhappy client then comes to us after spending quite a bit and often disillusioned as to how online marketing can help after said bad experience. It can be really difficult for business owners to know where to go.

I’d ask owners here not to write everyone off and ignore the quality professional help out there and DIY just because they had a bad experience. Which I guess is my point in this thread, to help those who have a marketing budget but have had a bad experience or are worried about being ripped off, have a few more questions they can ask, issues to think about and things to look for to find the right fit. You wouldn’t do your own electrical work just because 1 electrician wasn’t any good.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    AmberS, post: 208664 wrote:
    I completely agree and I think that often business owners need to educate themselves to know what to look for, to find the right fit for their needs.

My concern is with SEO companies portraying themselves to be more than what they are, implying that their advice is holistic when it is still quite Googlecentirc.
    Hi Amber,
    I think you will find some of the folk commenting about SEO here were trained and experienced marketers long before the term SEO was first coined (1997?).

That said, I completely agree with your words of caution about folk who claim “SEO knowledge” without a shread of marketing knowledge/experience.

I much prefer the term ‘Internet marketer” myself but Google usurped that for the process of managing advertising in search engines. Why couldn’t they stick with the term, “Internet advertising agents” for that one?

As important as all the other marketing issues are and the fact that Internet marketing should compliment and support the total marketing plan, there is one group of attributes about online communications that is unique vs. offline communications and that is

the user is in control of where they go, what they see and when they see it.

If a business owner does not employ tactics to address these isssues, no one will see the beautifull website with its well crafted marketing messages.

IMHO, small business owners need support for the broad marketing issues as well as the online ones. SEO is only part of the online marketing activities but it becomes particularly important when the objective is to attract new clients.

It also becomes particularly troublesome when there is so much generalisation and misinformation published about it. To me, four of the worst myths about SEO are:

• SEO takes a long time to see results
    • SEO is expensive
    • You have to keep implementing SEO
    • SEO is all about link building

Sometimes all or some of these are true. At others, all are incorrect.

The GOOD NEWS for SMALL BUSINESS owners is that they are more likely to be INCORRECT for many of your markets.

1. SEO takes a long time to see results
    For a new website on a new domain, Google may stall your SEO implementation for a few weeks.

For amendments to an existing website, Home page changes should be recognised within 1 week. Changes to pages linked from Home should be about the same. Deeper pages can take a couple of weeks to be recognised.

2. SEO is expensive
    The cost of SEO is primarily driven by these three factors:

a. The competitiveness of the search market
    b. How many search markets are being targeted
    c. The cost of any remedial action to fix any implementation problems

There are many (most?) small businesses who are in uncompetitive search markets for the simple reason that their clients are drawn from a 10-20km radius.

The cost of fixing any website implementation problems can be extremely variable but it should be a one-time cost to fix.

By way of example of the possible cost of SEO for small and micro businesses, I’ve never found the need to charge any of my clients more than $2,000 to achieve their new customer acquisition objectives over the last 20 years.

3. You have to keep implementing SEO
    The main reasons for the statement above is because so many small businesses don’t need a constant link building program to be satisfied with their new business enquiries.

That is not to infer that new, relevant content for a small business website is unimportant. This issue will be largely driven by the diversity of the products/services offered and where they are provided.

4. SEO is all about link building

IMHO, BAD SEO IS FOCUSED ON LINK BUILDING!

This thread and its large following is driven by people with bad SEO experiences.

What do they have in common?

• They have been burnt by scammers and SEO incompetants who don’t know much about SEO, Internet marketing or who don’t give a damn about whether their advice is accurate!
    • They have been convinced that link building is the key to their success.

Amber, As a marketer, I hope you are experienced in these online marketing minefields so you can deliver the results you want for your clients. I’ll give my support to your intent!
    Regs,
    JohnW

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125

Phew – missed FS all day yesterday and look what happens.

I spent the day with a digital marketing agency I do some work with and ultimately found a large chunk of it spent discussing different marketing tactics with one of their clients, barely touched on SEO amongst all the tactics in that case! Not at all unusual funnily enough.

Which brings me back to Amber’s comments – and may I respectfully suggest a new thread – a Marketing one, in the Marketing Forum would be a good place for the excellent guidance on all aspects of marketing. This SEO thread in the Search Engine forum is getting way off track!

Viewing 7 posts - 106 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.