Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Why SEO is Doomed!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    small business marketing
    • Total posts: 94
    Up
    ::

I wrote the below in response to someone elses post which I think was removed by a moderator. I could not find the posting rules anywhere – I know I read them very recently about Affiliate links etc – anyway, I think the below post is okay.

so, not because I have this antagonistic bent or anything… :-)

Just to throw some fuel on the fire and see what happens…..

Why SEO is Doomed!

– download here (you can download straight from my site here, no need to register or give me your details or anything):

http://www.small-business-marketing-australia.com/support-files/taoofsbi.pdf

My DISCLAIMER: I am an affiliate and I will get very rich if 4,500,900,600 of you click any of the embedded links in the document and buy something. But you dont need to ‘buy anything’, just read why SEO is Doomed!

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Another Ken Evoy truckload of text!

I’ve tried to speed read and from what I’ve seen he has no more understanding of seo and what good seo’ers actually do than he did years ago. He seems to be banging on and on about how you really need to create good content and to get great links to it…

Hello…Talked to a decent SEO consultant in the last few years?

He also bangs on about how the engines are getting more sophisticated and fooling them is harder.

Hello again… Talked to a decent SEO consultant in the last few years?

As for their forward development, do you think that is going to make it easier or harder to get joe’s widget site listed?

Engines and the folk who help sites get listed will be around for a long time yet though the job itself and its practices are changing constantly, nobody knew what Digg was just a few short years ago, or Twitter or even the concept of Trustrank for that matter

DanR
    • Total posts: 79
    Up

Content is king… well…. UNIQUE content is king!

With Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI) it’s so important to create great content. That really is the secret to indexing well. It does pay to do the usual SEO things like proper title tags, use of H tags etc…

LSI – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latent_semantic_indexing

mybusinesshelp
    • Total posts: 128
    Up

Not keen on the disclaimer – and the fact that something like this has been listed really. We are here to share knowledge and help where we can – this looks like a in your face “advertisement” that still doesn’t really deliver much.

There are PLENTY of free SEO related articles and blogs out there for everyone – that are free and up to date.

Amanda :)

small business marketing, post: 18050 wrote:
    I wrote the below in response to someone elses post which I think was removed by a moderator. I could not find the posting rules anywhere – I know I read them very recently about Affiliate links etc – anyway, I think the below post is okay.

so, not because I have this antagonistic bent or anything… :-)

Just to throw some fuel on the fire and see what happens…..

Why SEO is Doomed!

– download here (you can download straight from my site here, no need to register or give me your details or anything):

http://www.small-business-marketing-australia.com/support-files/taoofsbi.pdf

My DISCLAIMER: I am an affiliate and I will get very rich if 4,500,900,600 of you click any of the embedded links in the document and buy something. But you dont need to ‘buy anything’, just read why SEO is Doomed!

small business marketing
    Up
    mybusinesshelp, post: 18095 wrote:
    Not keen on the disclaimer – and the fact that something like this has been listed really. We are here to share knowledge and help where we can – this looks like a in your face “advertisement” that still doesn’t really deliver much.

There are PLENTY of free SEO related articles and blogs out there for everyone – that are free and up to date.

Amanda, I was being facetious with my disclaimer.

My post was not meant to come across as an advertisment – though it was crafted to be in your face :-)

I had actually written it in response to another post which had been deleted (I think because it was an advertisment with no disclaimer) by the time I posted.

Now that said, the article does provide some thought provoking content. By no means should you read this in isolation though and your comment about other SEO content/blogs etc being available is really valid, and people should read several sources before making up their mind about things.

Have a great weekend all!

Cheers
    Gary

mybusinesshelp
    • Total posts: 128
    Up

Hi Gary

Thanks for the reply and details, I like to do the same in regards to thought provoking content.

I am sure plenty SEO experts will be replying…..should be interesting!

small business marketing, post: 18097 wrote:
    Amanda, I was being facetious with my disclaimer.

My post was not meant to come across as an advertisment – though it was crafted to be in your face :-)

I had actually written it in response to another post which had been deleted (I think because it was an advertisment with no disclaimer) by the time I posted.

Now that said, the article does provide some thought provoking content. By no means should you read this in isolation though and your comment about other SEO content/blogs etc being available is really valid, and people should read several sources before making up their mind about things.

Have a great weekend all!

Cheers
    Gary

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

The fact that you even put affiliate links in and then felt the need to explain them cheapens your entire message.

Why not explain the article with a link to a blog post

Great point. If you are new to search engine optimization (seo) then your should start to learn from people other than somebody who has such a vested interest in promoting (and profiting from) someone else product.

This entire pdf is a giant ad.

[Former] FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    I could not find the posting rules anywhere

Hi Gary,
    The Flying Solo forum guidelines are here: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/guidelines-please-read-before-posting/589-welcome-flying-solo-forums-please-play-nicely.html

As you’ve observed, if posts are outside these guidelines, we do delete them as soon as possible. The community members have been very clear and unanimous about their desire for the FS forums to remain free of self-promotion and to maintain their current supportive, friendly atmosphere.

Thanks for being upfront about your affiliation, and good luck getting those 4,500,900,600 clickthroughs!

Jayne

Jexley
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

From an Edge of the Web session earlier this week:

“Social Media: Be a Valued Member, not a wanker.”

soliddata
    • Total posts: 392
    Up

Good point Jex, it is so beneficial to be a good social network citizen.

It does seem to be something that is done in this forum to provoke and encourage discussion :-)

Kev

small business marketing
    Up

Hi Kev, agree totally,

Now Jexley, were you calling me a wanker? :-) I dont mind if you were, I’m a big boy.

In any event, if you were then thats tame compared to what I received via my website…

So to your point Matthew about cheapaning my message, I really just wanted to stimulate a robust conversation about SEO Vs Anti SEO, if thats even a fair description. I was being facetious with my disclaimer becasue my post was never about making $$ but it should be clear which side of the fence I’m on.

In any event, I am surprised at how vicious a comment I inspired – not here but directly to me via my website – that wasnt my intent.

I really wanted to see an intelligent debate about SEO and its merits. I believe its a vicious cycle myself but thought many an SEO’r expert would defend their faith well.

Unfortunately for me, people took my post personally and attacked accordingly – directly and mainly annonomously of course.

Any way, I have pretty thick skin. I wasnt trying to fool anyone into buying a product of which I am an affiliate.

So to Matthew, not having a go at you – but are you saying its fine to promote (and profit from) your own work/IP but not others? Because to that I disagree whole heartedly (you have even mentioned in another post here your background is affiliate marketing). Little is invented that is completley new. No idea today is unique. We all profit from sharing information and ideas and I’d challenge anyone to come along with a new idea or concept. Now if I think where you were going was to my blatant self promotion as an affilate then yes I agree, people will see that for what it is and dismiss it. I wasnt trying though to ‘sell stuff’, I was trying to spark a productive debate. And yes, I have picked a side but there a million shades of grey and I like to form an opinion around constructive and intelligent debate – which could have been influenced by others in this forum.

Anyway, I expect to receive a few more emails from those of you I have offended deeply. To you I say, love what you do, do what you love.

Regards

Gary

mike@engagemarketing
    • Total posts: 300
    Up

I found the PDF very hard to read and understand (even though I like to consider myself pretty knowledgeable on SEO and Internet Marketing!). Maybe a re-write/design might serve your purpose better.

I cannot understand why any business with any sort of medium or long term goals would want to undertake in ‘Black-hat’ SEO tactics. Anyone participating in these will be in real trouble a year in once all of the search engines have penalised them for the dodgy techniques.

The saying “Content is King” is a good one but we have to be realistic in saying that most small businesses will struggle to be able to make an impact and build up enough links and referrals to their website, even though their free content might be fantastic. Most of it comes down to resources – for the small business, the time and focus that is required to build up these links over time is too overwhelming and takes away from what they really do!

soliddata
    • Total posts: 392
    Up
    mike@engagemarketing, post: 18185 wrote:
    I cannot understand why any business with any sort of medium or long term goals would want to undertake in ‘Black-hat’ SEO tactics. Anyone participating in these will be in real trouble a year in once all of the search engines have penalised them for the dodgy techniques.

That is so very true. Like in any form of marketing – the list is critical – so why spend valuable resources (time esp) in driving the wrong people to your site using black hat techniques? Spend your time and resources finding the people who need you and drive them to your site.

mike@engagemarketing, post: 18185 wrote:
    The saying “Content is King” is a good one but we have to be realistic in saying that most small businesses will struggle to be able to make an impact and build up enough links and referrals to their website, even though their free content might be fantastic. Most of it comes down to resources – for the small business, the time and focus that is required to build up these links over time is too overwhelming and takes away from what they really do!

A very salient point – the SEO or any online marketing needs to be ROI-compared to your other prospecting tactics (sorry for the bad grammar).

A suggestion is to use consultingworx or elance or Flying Solo to find outsourced writers to make the content.

Kev

Adam Randall
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

SEO is doomed if you are providing it.

The reason? First nearly everyone thinks they can do it because its based on common sense.

The market is flooded with people who think they can do it, and to some extent once the basics are learnt, they can.

Oversupply of SEO + uneducated consumers = Commoditization

Why would someone pay 5K for an SEO makeover when the kid down the street does it for five bucks and a pat on the back?

Yes the quality and results will be worlds apart but hey it did not cost much!!

Where SEO excels is that there is only ever going to be limited spots for certain key phrases on the front page of Google, if you are good at it at least you can make your own sites popular.

The other thing is that everything on the web is free right, just look at this forum, can I get a free this, can I get a free that, can someone do this for me for free!

I think SEO along with web site design is on the way out as a way to make a decent living.

James_Jackson
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

SEO is not about tricking the search engines. Its never is. all you will do is get booted.

SEO IS about giving your content in a way the search engines want it. This means they will reward you with more traffic. SEO is an art and there are a million and one things to think about when optimizing a site, especially for very competitive terms.

Plus, it has to be said, with google only 10-15% is onsite optimization the rest is offsite optimization, like backlinks, bounce rates etc

In my opinion (could be biased) it is an experts job.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.