Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Why would you not TRUST my service?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Hassle Free Website
    • Total posts: 108
    Up
    ::

This is the bit that I find tricky when marketing a business online and that is how to get people to trust you? Or is this something that will happen over time?

What are some must things that signal trust when running an online business?

If you look at my website what would make you NOT trust me?

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

That you have a business is cause for me not to trust you. Not you specifically, but in a general sense.

Sorry, that sounds harsh, but more and more people are putting up a shingle for their various “trade”, and more and more have no concept of things such as service, loyalty, ethics or the simple idea that if you start something you should finish it.

Trust is earned. It is based on doing, based on results, based on meeting customer expectations. Until you can show that you don’t have my trust.

But, that is different from getting me to use your service or buy your product. That is a calculated risk I take often before trust has been established. The level of calculation is often based on the amount I am spending. For a service I have no problem jumping on the phone/skype/WhatsApp/wechat or whatever to sound you out. Regardless of what you say on your website, I will be more inclined to use your service based on that interaction.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi [USER=105019]@Hassle Free Website[/USER] ,

People trust people (not companies) – I can’t see your name or face anywhere. I can’t see an address anywhere, or even a town/suburb. A real person with a face and an address is less likely to rip them off than an online entity.

Also consider what guarantees you can offer (especially money-back). Deliver in a certain time-frame or full refund? Happy with the website design or money back? Guarantees will give people more confidence in doing business with you. There are many things that can go wrong in a website project, and people are worried about these things.

Hope that sheds some light on the topic. :)
    Dave

Hassle Free Website
    Up
    Dave – FS Concierge, post: 261516, member: 49676 wrote:

People trust people (not companies) – I can’t see your name or face anywhere. I can’t see an address anywhere or even a town/suburb. A real person with a face and an address is less likely to rip them off than an online entity.

It is there, maybe I need to make it more prominent.
    https://hasslefreewebsite.com.au/benefits/

Oh, I just updated my contact page too, thanks for that tip.

https://hasslefreewebsite.com.au/contact/

Dave – FS Concierge, post: 261516, member: 49676 wrote:

Also, consider what guarantees you can offer (especially money-back). Deliver in a certain time-frame or full refund? Happy with the website design or money back? Guarantees will give people more confidence in doing business with you. There are many things that can go wrong in a website project, and people are worried about these things.

Only Guarantees I’ll give is I will do a proper job ;)

Yes, I think over time I will build up more trust but it is hard to do that through a website so I am grateful for your suggestions.

Hassle Free Website
    Up
    Johny, post: 261515, member: 34822 wrote:
    Trust is earned. It is based on doing, based on results, based on meeting customer expectations. Until you can show that you don’t have my trust.

Fully respect that and work by that.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

A related tip: In all of Australia the people who will trust you the most are the people in Moruya. You’re a local. Part of the community. Just down the road if anything should go wrong.

With your advertising I would target your town and surrounding areas, and then make sure your location is prominent on your site. In the rest of Australia you have no such advantage.

Dave

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Everything [USER=49676]@Dave – FS Concierge[/USER] said, plus I cant see an ABN , so dodgy straight away.

Unrealistic promises

Websites with bad spelling or grammar, you may want to check yours.

A website that gives only good examples of their work or testimonials.

Your website is your example of your work, if it’s no good, why would I trust you.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Hassle Free Website, post: 261517, member: 105019 wrote:
    Only Guarantees I’ll give is I will do a proper job ;)

You have immediately lost me with that comment, every business says that, even dodgy joe’s say that. I don’t know you, so why should I believe a statement such as that.

Hassle Free Website
    Up
    bb1, post: 261522, member: 53375 wrote:
    You have immediately lost me with that comment, every business says that, even dodgy joe says that.

And that is okay, I have a phone number, both landline and mobile, so I try and encourage people to call me to chat about things.

Also if you dont do a good job people will leave poor comments on the internet so it is easy to nut out a dodgy joe.

Hassle Free Website
    Up
    Dave – FS Concierge, post: 261520, member: 49676 wrote:
    A related tip: In all of Australia the people who will trust you the most are the people in Moruya. You’re a local. Part of the community. Just down the road if anything should go wrong.

With your advertising I would target your town and surrounding areas, and then make sure your location is prominent on your site. In the rest of Australia you have no such advantage.

Dave
    Thanks for that tip, a good idea. Will still try and make my primary market Australian small business, especially rural based one.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Hassle Free, (or should we call you, Bjarni?)

Dave and others have given some excellent tips.

There are many signals potential clients use to decide whether they want to do business with a specific company/business.

The purchasing sequence is likely to go like this…

• Do you offer the service needed?
    • Are you located where it is convenient for the purchaser?
    • How good is your service? What experience do you have?
    • Does the site visitor want to do business with you?
    • How can he/she contact you?

You want to build your credibility as folk explore your services and site.

Eg. You could greatly improve your credibility if your individual Showcase linked client pages included reference quotes from the clients and even an invite to email them for direct comment. You could set that up to copy you in on inquiries to them.

You would also add to your credibililty if you provided more info about each client’s site. Eg. Its size, its graphic and performance objectives, etc.

Be open about what you tried to do for clients and how you succeded. A problem with web services like design and SEO is that your visitors don’t really know how to assess quality. If you tell them how to assess design quality then tell them the results obtained for a client, you are building credibility and trust.

Do your competitors do this? I’ll bet my 24 years of online marketing experience that almost none of them do.

IMHO, you need to publish content under expected navigation topics.

• They expect to see a primary menu link to “About Us”.
    • You need to include your full business name and ACN/ABN number and location on “Contact Us”
    • You need a Terms page so people know under which legislative jurisdiction any disputes will be settled.

Major “trust” issues also include:

• Your professional qualifications
    • Membership of relevant industry bodies
    • Your experience (years) in the industry or in servicing relevant market segments.

If I’ve correctly found your Linkedin page, why aren’t you screaming about:

• Your web design experience dating back to 2003
    • Your 1st class honours in graphic design from ANU in 1997
    • Your advanced diploma from CIT in 2002

Do your competitors have anything remotely close to your training and experience?

…but I may be way off base with your service positioning.

Are you offering a personalised web design service or are you trying to develop a “Winx-type” DIY web publishing system?

If so, good luck. Amoungst others, MYOB, Adobe and Google have failed with this strategy.

BTW, would you care to share with us why you want an alternative website to your “bj2” site?

Final comment: IMHO, you wan’t “TRUST” to focus on your unique selling proposition.

Hassle Free Website
    Up

Hi [USER=6375]@JohnW[/USER]

Thanks for the advice, so much good stuff in that.

I think I am going to do an introduction video and add to the front page and take on board some of those highlight points you have made.

Hassle free Website is aimed at a particular group of people who I wish to serve and focus on.

I have been working in the creative / design industry for over 20 years with a diverse skillset. Only of late am I starting to break off some of my skillsets into focused businesses.

With Hassle Free website I am fine tuning the website so it can cover as many of the things to help people get a clear understanding on what is on offer and hopefully can make a comparison with other option they may be considering.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Hassle Free Website,

Trying to approach this from a prospective customer’s perspective, but I am also in service based business like you so have the same need to build trust as a service provider.

A few things – like Bert and John have said – I want an ABN too. I want to be able to immediately see you (or whoever I am contemplating doing business with) is following legal business protocols. Business name registration, ABN etc. Part of it is due to my own line of work but I will ALWAYS check ABN registers and ASIC registers to make sure the business is registered and ‘above board’ so to speak. If I don’t see this information at the website, it concerns me. If I look further and still can’t find it then I move on.

On your home page, you discuss SEO

“A Hassle Free Website is search engine friendly & covers many of the fundamentals of good coding practices for on-page SEO that Google likes.”

When I get to your pricing/packages etc they don’t seem to mention SEO. Not necessarily something that would prevent me trusting, but might make me question what I am getting for the price etc.

In addition to website terms – a privacy policy. This might even be a legal requirement. Even if for your business it’s not legally required, given you want visitors to submit some details either in web contact or ordering, I would as a consumer want to know what you’re doing with my information etc.

I do think it takes time to build that trust. Some of that will come with more clients recommending your services etc. As a ‘first face’ for the business, I think make sure you/your business is easily identified with ASIC/ABN etc so we can see quickly who we’re doing business with. Perhaps some of the information in the benefits link would fit an “about us” option? I think (could be wrong) people are used to seeing ‘about us’ at a website and will read that but might not think to look for that info elsewhere.

(Just as a typed that last bit about ‘about us’, I re-read John’s post and realised he’s said that too… so, I’d certainly go through John’s post and tick off as many items and suggestions that you can! Good information there :))

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

I have sent you a PM- Good luck.

I think it is great you are on here asking questions.

Cheers

Paul

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

BTW,

I just noted [USER=20176]@JacquiPryor[/USER] ‘s lead magnet in her signature – Free Trademark Search.

This is gold for building a list.

You need a good lead magnet on your site to develop a list.

Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.