• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    ::

Ok a really dumb question (you don’t have to agree with that statement.)

Why, is everyone (well quite a few), when replying to posts from say me, prefacing my name with @… i.e.. I agree with [USER=53375]@bb1[/USER].

What’s wrong with the old fashioned I agree with BB1.

Is this some secret society or have I missed something in the latest version of “”forums for dummies 101″”

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I think I just played follow the leader (starting a long while ago) … assumed the @ was just identifying a name as a “forum name” and was forum protocol (generic).

Don’t think I do it often within the same thread, but I have done it regularly when referencing a forum member not currently in the thread (if any of that makes sense).

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Bert,

Yep, this ‘tagging’ of people by putting [USER=31528]@username[/USER] is just a way to reference other members in posts with a link. It’s common on social media where people want to bring others into conversations or acknowledge them.

Greg is right. A straight “Thanks Greg” is totally fine of course :) But if Greg isn’t part of the conversation for example and I say “Thanks [USER=38207]@Greg_M[/USER] :) then Greg will get an alert next time he logs in (a little alert flag appears in the top right of the forum menu) letting him know that he’s been mentioned in a thread so he can check it out. Greg’s name will also be hyperlinked to his profile so that other readers can find out more about this Greg fellow!

Clear as mud :) So not a big deal but just one of those features you can use if you like!

Any questions let me know.

Cheers
    Peter

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Thanks Peter, yep I must have missed that one in the social media for dummies 101. Just one of those things that creeps into usage, and you think why, what have I missed. I hadn’t seen it much here until recently. Well that is my new thing learnt today, another tomorrow..

thanks and have a great day

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

It wasn’t part of the previous forum platform so only been around a few weeks. Lots more to unearth I’m sure :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.