Home Forums Logistics Will I get into trouble for buying licenced merchandise at retail and reselling them?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bellcross
    • Total posts: 2

For example Marvel or Disney figurines. If I find a cheap retail sale of legitimate goods (I am NOT talking about importing obvious fakes from China, or wholesalers), will I run into problems reselling them either on my own site, or on eBay?

I’ve tried to find as much as I can about this but most threads seem to be related to importing from China.

I also believe this will depend on the type of goods? Books for example, they seem to have a lot more rules around being able to resell them.

GuestMember
    • Total posts: 318

This would be classed as business if they are bought with the intention to sell. If they were bought for personal enjoyment and selling was incidental, that would be different.

There’s nothing wrong buying retail and selling retail per se. Restaurant owners often nip round to the local shops when they run out of supplies or a supply isn’t on time, etc.

So the key advice needed here seems to be the routine selling ‘licensed’ products when you’re not a licensee.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Bellcross, post: 223513, member: 72915 wrote:
    For example Marvel or Disney figurines. If I find a cheap retail sale of legitimate goods (I am NOT talking about importing obvious fakes from China, or wholesalers), will I run into problems reselling them either on my own site, or on eBay?

I’ve tried to find as much as I can about this but most threads seem to be related to importing from China.

I also believe this will depend on the type of goods? Books for example, they seem to have a lot more rules around being able to resell them.

Be careful, I am not saying there is anything wrong with it, because I don’t know, and it would depend on the license agreements with the original supplier.

But I do know that Ebay have a number of products on a banned list, which even if they are legal original product they will not allow you to sell them.

I know one where I ended up with 2 items of a cat care product, both legal and original, so I just listed one on Ebay to recoup some money, and they deleted the listing, as they have an agreement with the licensee that although legit, unless it is one of the licensee’s retailers, Ebay wont list the product.

I would be making further checks with the licensee and the sales channel you are using

Jason Ramage
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,161

Licensing is difficult and as others have advised he licensee is the best to ask, albeit nearly impossible to acquire an answer from in your situation.

Personally, I have a little experience in the collectable (read that as marcel, DC etc) field and it’s rare that ANY items unless blatantly counterfeit would be pulled from places such as eBay. I’m not gospel on this, although having sold these types of products on and off for well over 10 years I have yet to encounter an issue- I am also involved in the general market and have not heard anyone else with issues as yet. The advantage is its deemed as a hobby (collectables) and as such the manufactures understand that these are highly tradable items of which change hands often – they actually require them to change hands to keep up the perceived value of their collectables as well so it’s a double edged sword for these types of businesses.

Now, that all being said I would be extremely cautious in creating a FULL TIME business (read that as not hobby) based around circumventing any licensing agreements :( there are local distributors that you can buy from IF you have your own web site, and this can assist with buying from legit + some not so legit (but licensed) and muddying the waters as to how to control it :)

Cheers

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: hello@lucasarthur.net.au   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Bellcross
    • Total posts: 2

Thanks for the insight guys. I actually did ask officially and was surprised by the answers I got so far – Disney said what I proposed should be safe, as Target etc source from licensed suppliers. It seems as long as the original source is licensed to supply here then it’s okay. I even replied again to clarify this and she confirmed.

This will not be the focus of my business, and I may only put these types of products on my own site to avoid any eBay drama. Direct wholesale is obviously a better longterm plan.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.