Home – New Forums Starting your journey Will Political Correctness Choke Your Business?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up
    ::

Hey Everyone

I looked at the possible Categories for this Thread and “Starting Your Journey” was the Best.

You are insane to want to go into business quite frankly.

Because besides all of the Risk and the Long Hours we have to be Politically Correct if we are looking for staff.

What is never acknowledged is that the potential staff member would I believe… Actually like to know that they “might” not be suitable in the eyes of the Employer.

Because it costs time and bus and train and petrol money to attend Politically Correct interviews which are not productive for anyone.

And at the end of the day it is Soul Destroying for the people wanting to Contribute to a Politically Correct Job Offer that they were never likely to be chosen for.

So… back to Thread

What’s the cost to you of needing to be Politically Correct?

Rohan@TD
    • Total posts: 164
    Up

What’s the cost of not being politically correct?

Political correctness is there to encourage diversity and inclusion, to break down social barriers and help those different feel fully included. Why bother? Because it enables businesses (and society) through empowering performance in team members. Countless research studies prove it and the market is increasingly demanding it. Rather than looking at it as a burden, it should be viewed as an opportunity. By bringing in people with diverse backgrounds and experiences, we not only bring their knowledge, skills and competencies, but also potential greater access to a new segment of the market through these members.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    Warren Cottis, post: 237479, member: 129 wrote:

I’m feeling a bit thick because I believe it costs me next to nothing. What am I missing?
    Does Politically Correct mean something different to what I think it means?

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

“Countless research studies prove it and the market is increasingly demanding it.”

If that is indeed true, it would be prudent management/leadership that would bring it to bear, not political correctness.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

The exact opposite being politically correct can only boost your business. IMO political correctness has come about because the majority of people want that (whatever that may be), and the rest of people don’t really care. So by staying politically correct you will always have more people onside (even if by default), than against you.

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up
    Warren Cottis, post: 237479, member: 129 wrote:

Hi Warren,

I read all the other replies and I am going to take the really open honest approach and from the perspective of internal management of staff and real life.

Very interesting post, do people actually want the truth (Can they handle the Truth) :) LOL, sorry flash back to a Few Good Men.

Over the past 15 years of business I have had many people from different religions, cultures and races and yes I have had to adjust my business to suit and train ALL my staff to be PC/Understanding of others, I have it as part of my induction training, and yes for my micro business I have an induction.

In my business the training for “PC/Understanding” is pretty broad, I get training packages developed to help my staff understand the differing cultures, as the lack of understanding leads to many issues.

FOR EXAMPLE:

I had a Muslim employee working for me as a graduate and they had a lot of time taken for prays, other staff became resentful of the time taken off, so I had to get the message across that this person wasn’t taking extra time, just the same breaks in smaller amounts, but I had to do it in a way that didn’t sound like I was signally them out, which can make things difficult to navigate.

DOLLAR FIGURE: I can answer that in training dollars (Approximately $56,000 over 15 years in training development and time)

OTHER: Another cost not equable in dollar figures is the human resources side of managing staff with varying cultural backgrounds. People like to believe that people just get along without encouragement, this is just wishful thinking, but you can help them change.

EXAMPLE: We are a micro business so everyone pitches in to help keep the office tidy, including me, one guy from a Non-Australian culture (I will not name it) believed that women were to do all the cleaning, this was his culture. As you could imagine this created a lot of concern for my female staff, lot of tears flowed etc, so I had to spend a lot of time with this guy to make him understand why we all pitch in together as part of a team.

I agree that being multi cultural actually helps my business, as they are highly skilled in their areas, but it can create a lot of tension if it’s not managed well.

There are many benefits of a multi cultural workplace, but for a micro business it can be stressful trying to manage it both financially and emotionally.

One of the key things I do during the interview (other than their skills) is I focus on team work and how a small business operates as one team, and make sure the interviewee understands this fully.

FUN FACT: Another benefit is the awesome food, we used to have fun lunch days once a month and we all cook a dish. I have had so many home cooked meals from Vietnam, India, Sir Lanka, France etc. I loved these days and so did everyone else as it allowed them to share their cultures and we got yummy food.

So in summary – it can have a great impact on your business but it can also be detrimental if not managed well.

Sorry for the length but it’s a big topic and I wanted to clearly state the ups and downs of adopting an understanding approach in real life, not just “what we wish or hope it would be like” :)

Rohan@TD
    Up

[USER=60404]@Mischelle[/USER] – Great post. A lot of what you talked about is delivering your business great leadership rather than solely the cost of being PC. To get the most out of staff small business leaders must be prepared to invest in their staff’s development and their own. It’s an associated cost of exposing your business to the benefits diversity brings.

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    Mischelle, post: 237530, member: 60404 wrote:
    H

DOLLAR FIGURE: I can answer that in training dollars (Approximately $56,000 over 15 years in training development and time)

I’m confused, whats do you teach in political correctness training??

Mischelle, post: 237530, member: 60404 wrote:
    EXAMPLE: We are a micro business so everyone pitches in to help keep the office tidy, including me, one guy from a Non-Australian culture (I will not name it) believed that women were to do all the cleaning, this was his culture. .

I know a number of Australian males who believe exactly the same.

Jason Ramage
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,168
    Up
    bb1, post: 237555, member: 53375 wrote:

Oh my, and i have spent the last 2 days scrubbing and mopping a newly laid floating floor in the warehouse.. knew i should have employed someone to do it… But how would i ask if cleaning is beneath them, just have it in the job description?

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: hello@lucasarthur.net.au   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up

Thank you for the responses everyone and thank you Mischelle for you sincerity.

I think there are two Economic Destructive issues to Political Correctness:

Number 1: As I said in my opening post, it punishes people on meagre budgets travelling to obtain positions which they would never get by wasting their precious money. That defeats all of the do gooder sentiments of the concept in most instances… and keeps those folks on welfare.

Flip side of that is if you could advertise… I need a kid who’s into Frogs and get’s off on watching Frogs do obscene things… then that one in a million kid has a chance at getting a start in life.

Number 2: Everyone has I believe replied to my post on a race basis.

Yet there is a a whole Knowledge Bank of over 50 year olds experience going to waste in Australia.

The media OPENLY writes that THEY will find it hard to get fast employment because there is passive hidden Discrimination against them.

Move that up to the 60 year old folk who have more knowledge value than older time 40 year olds and Australia is missing out on a whole New Innovation World potential despite the lip service the Government offers to the concept.

Political Correctness just gives the Government something to fill in their time with by waving the flag…

But it does not stimulate the Economy or bring comfort to that poor person who just spent some of their precious money going for an interview that was not more ‘Specifically’ described.

So changing tack… may I ask who does Political Correctness actually benefit and specifically How?

We are all small businesses fighting to build something but we live in an environment where the people who make the rules have no idea about the real world in which we live.

We are the majority of Employers and say nothing… Apathy is our undoing

This is not a Political Rant… take it as a Flawed Process Insanity question.

What do you think?

Mischelle
    Up
    bb1, post: 237555, member: 53375 wrote:

Hi Bert,

Sorry to confuse and agree with the statement some Aussie males don’t like cleaning either :)

The training is made up of a few things and customised for each culture, we have a library of different passages that are included to help people understand what the business has put in place regarding policies, or measures that are intended not to offend or disadvantage any particular group of people.

The training covers everything from greetings in the morning to how to address an email. I know is sounds insane BUT in many cases this training has help us understand the differing personalities that come with cultural differences.

Cheers

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    Warren Cottis, post: 237565, member: 129 wrote:
    Number 2: Everyone has I believe replied to my post on a race basis.

Ive just reread all the replies and from what I read Mischelle’s (and my reply), were the only ones that went to race.

My first comment definitely had nothing to do with race

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I think this is one of the best posts to come up in a long while in this forum.

With a few notable exceptions a lot of what’s posted here (the Forum) now has become a series of short sharp sound bites, just like the rest of the world.

I’m convinced that political correctness (for it’s own sake) is slowly killing this country off, certainly from the perspective of innovation and employment opportunities.

For me political correctness is the mantra of the intellectual and financial elite who have the time and resources to indulge it…the rest of us (regardless of race, religion, gender, or political leanings) are too busy trying to survive, and feed and educate our kids peacefully. It has become a thin skin that keeps the media, bureaucrats, and the political class doing “busy” work.

Our parliament has largely become a hollowed out shell, populated by a political class that actually has no real grass roots base (on either side of the fence).

The results of the last election here, Brexit and the possibility of an oxygen thief getting their hands on the nuclear button in the USA, tells me I’m not the lone ranger in my thinking.

The people expressing themselves through these political processes are not all neo cons and racists, many are just ordinary people pissed off with not being heard.

My experience in my long working life has been that if you show some respect and empathy for other humans the world seems to roll along just fine… generally speaking you can’t legislate to produce this or protect it.

As Warren has indicated, it is stifling employment opportunities in this country especially on the fringes , or for people with special needs.

It has gotten so difficult to employ someone in many industries that most just DON’T (me included)… hence the rise of “contract” and part time casual positions, or outsourcing overseas.

Rant over for now.

Mischelle
    Up
    LucasArthur, post: 237556, member: 34537 wrote:
    Oh my, and i have spent the last 2 days scrubbing and mopping a newly laid floating floor in the warehouse.. New i should have employed someone to do it… But how would i ask if cleaning is beneath them, just have it in the job description?

LOL, I feel for you :)

I never have to ask, they offer, this is why I spend time on building the attitude of nothing is “beneath” anyone.

EG: I have a storage unit which needed tidying and all boxes sorting, it was hot and stuffy, I was working on all the archive boxes when one of my staff offered to help, so we spent a week in the stuffy room sorting old accounts.

I talk to them during the interview and state that we all pitch in doing anything, and that we all adopt the attitude of nothing is beneath, and how they respond to that during the interview is important. LOL

Rohan@TD
    Up

Number 1:

Everybody knows it is incredibly frustrating for people to apply for jobs they will never get. However, it’s also 2016 and we have a variety of options for people to avoid excessive costs when applying for a job. Recruitment processes should be streamlined to reduce the numbers or people actually making it through to the interview stage, because it not only costs them time/money, but also your business. Job ad design, screening resumes, pre-interview testing, phone interviews, Skype interviews etc. all help to reduce the cost / imposition on applicants and the businesses applying for new roles.

Number 2

Certainly not. When you dive into the detail of diversity related academic studies (peer reviewed research) they find the value in diversity comes from differences in the backgrounds of the group members – not their individual race, gender etc. The academic research I have seen all support contemporary views that their is little difference in performance based on factors such as gender, race etc alone.

may I ask who does Political Correctness actually benefit and specifically How?

Political correctness fundamentally benefits the Australian marketplace bringing in talent (people), ideas, new products and opportunity. It helps drive the Australian economy (e.g. international investment).

How does it benefit a small business? It helps (diverse) employees feel included, trusted, respected and valued. It also helps shape and develop the view of their leader (e.g. you) as somebody worth trusting and following – which is the case for all employees, not just diverse. All of which leads to greater performance in individuals and groups.

Having small business employees who trust you, respect you, are committed to your long term objectives and operating at optimal performance levels have wide ranging benefits for all businesses, not just small.

The true benefit on having diverse employees comes from leading them properly and engaging their strengths (An early blog post from us: Leaders should focus on maximising diversity, rather than just numbers). Diverse employees can break down social barriers to attract new customers, better service existing customers, bring different experiences into the decision making process, spot opportunities in new markets and much more.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.