Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Will this be abused? Offering a 7 Day Satisfaction Guarantee

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Web Savvy Mamma
    • Total posts: 22
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I have started an online jewellery company and I am developing a brand that is all about high quality customer service and personalised and made to order jewellery. I want my customers to have an opportunity, to be able to send something back if they have made an incorrect decision. I would like to offer a 7 Day Satisfaction Guarantee for unworn items. I am making sure to write my terms and conditions to protect myself and my brand as much as possible.

Of course, there’s always that one or two nuts that will make my life interesting, but I would appreciate your thoughts – do you think, in the most part, that this service could possibly be abused?

I have noted that it is the customers responsibility to pay for postage, unless my company was at fault. I have also noted, that jewellery, or parts of jewellery that have been customised (ie engraved with a name) that cannot be reused, will also not be refunded. Also other fees like my Priority Fee (for rush orders) Bespoke Fee (if I have worked with a client for numerous hours with them) are all non-refundable.

I want to live in a world where it’s ok to change your mind – within reason :)

TIA!

Alice

fredfarcle
    • Total posts: 181
    Up

If I was purchasing something like jewellery online I would want some sort of recourse if I didn’t like it or it was not of the expected standard, I also think this sort of policy would be essential if quality and service are your aim.

So far as refunds being abused, is it any different in a bricks and mortar business, you still get the occasional unreasonable client you can’t please no matter what you do.

Neill
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

In a previous online business, we sold software online and around the world (typically around the A$50 mark) and offered a 30 day money back guarantee if not totally satisfied for any reason. Our rate of refunds was less than 1% of total sales. Our refund policy gave a lot of first time customers confidence to deal with us online.

Offering a refund if not totally satisfied can be a good marketing exercise. You will probably deal with the odd unreasonable customer, but don’t let that stop you. Overall, you will probably be better off.

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up

I agree with the above comments. After living in the USA for yonks one of the biggest shocks on coming home was to find that there was not an easy return policy in online stores or real stores in Australia. The attitude was completely different and not at all customer friendly.

The policy about returns(from high end jewellry to books to clothes to camping gear)is so widespread that many companies even include a pre-addressed stick-on tag back to them.

They make things so easy to buy because the customer has the confidence that they can return it if it just doesn’t work out – and if you have confident customers you will get more of them.

Even with this policy in place – I can only recall returning a couple of things in 20 years – but can still remember the grace with which they were accepted back.

Of course you will get some complete dill-brains who abuse it – but they will make trouble whatever your policy.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

The ability to return items is about to hit big-time here in Australia – several shoe stores are leading the charge….up to 100 days and they pay the return postage.

Offering 7 days almost encourages people wear the item….but realise this length of time is needed, perhaps to overcome that bit of psychology that we all suffer from, called ‘buyer remorse’. This is the doubt people have after spending, until such time as they receive confirmation they have made the right choice (in you case maybe friends telling them its beautiful. Also partners buying for their spouse – maybe several months in advance?? Is 7 days long enough??

I would offer it, maybe can you put some coating on the inside of the ring that wears off after a few hours wear – and the stipulation is that if that mark is gone, you cannot return.

But lets face it, if it is custom made, you will have had ongoing communications, no doubt sending photos of work in progress. I think you will be pretty safe in your guarantee.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

I think a return guarantee is incredibly important for online businesses.

Online stores offer a number of benefits over traditional store fronts, however one that is difficult to compete with is the ability for customers to physically look, feel and try something on.

If you are offering this return guarantee then you are counteracting that imbalance.

Also, I’d offer longer than 7 days – if I’m busy, I might not even look at my personal deliveries for well over a week – I’d go for 30 days minimum.

– Jake

The Infotainer
    • Total posts: 612
    Up

7 days need to be longer I think 21 days is better in my opinion but you know your market better than I do

I would take photos of the product before you ship it out, photos of all angles
    so that the consumer can’t say “This is broken” and send a copy of the photo via email possibly and possible have some way of locking it into a case so that a void if removed style guarantee would work
    so that they cannot wear it out for a night and then return it, have a lock that allows them to view it and then decide if they want to invoke the guarantee also this may help in shipping the product safely by post- (so it doesn’t jingle around)

you have to protect yourself, and you would also refund money after you safely have the original product in your your possession (although I don’t think I need to tell you that part)

there will be people out there looking to take advantage of you so be prepared

justinagar
    Up

This is absurd. Some people will tend to purchase jewelry before an important event and refund it afterwards, unless you have a way of knowing if a jewel has been worn and cleaned before it was returned.

The Infotainer
    Up
    justinagar, post: 90943 wrote:
    This is absurd. Some people will tend to purchase jewelry before an important event and refund it afterwards, unless you have a way of knowing if a jewel has been worn and cleaned before it was returned.

hence my suggestion to
    possible have some way of locking it into a case so that a void if removed style guarantee would work

having a case to lock it in- so that they can view it and if they do not like it they can return it- but if they remove the item from the box with possibly a simple security sticker (or something better) retuning in void

Web Savvy Mamma
    Up

Mmm… Thankyou to everyone, excellent points have been raised. I do want to make my customers feel safe, and considering I am not a well known brand (yet…) it does make sense. I could possibly create some kind of tag, and fix it to each item, and that there’s no way someone would wear the item with the tag on, so that could possibly eliminate that issue. I guess my policy may have to be trial and error.

Patto
    • Total posts: 50
    Up
    justinagar, post: 90943 wrote:

I disagree. you will always get a moron who tries to beat the system. That’s just part of life. Is this worth putting genuine customers at ease and with confidence to buy? heck yeah!

The Infotainer
    Up

also depends on how expensive your custom jewelry is

thousands of dollars would warrant a good guarantee and security where as a $60 item would not require so much security.

not sure if you do wedding rings but I foresee a potential problem

you design a ring – the guy buys it- holds it out to the girl who does not like the ring- then what- they can’t return it because it has been removed from the security seal but has not been worn- not sure how you would battle that problem which well I have never asked a girl to marry me but I presume it would happen.

what are other jewelry businesses doing about this?

I think most of the problems can be alleviated with effective visualization of the finished product before they buy and you send it out

for your standardized items you would want to video it and have photos on it- I see many shops that have a tiny image and it is not much to go by- so an effective display on your website would help (but not fix) the problem

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

comes down to your target market. regardless, your business should skyrocket. anything more than 20% refund is an issue about quality and customer education or understanding their needs. less than 20% and ur price is not high enough or other issues..

best bet is to test it for a short period or every x number of customers. again, define your target market. u want people who are too busy or the mass affluetn who will only consider returning bcos it’s genuine. expect about 5% to serial returners. get the details. blacklist them and their referrals.

buisness should increase anywhere from 2-21 times. comes down to how you position your message to your target market.

anyone considering but scared should check out zappo’s return policy:

1. 365 days
    2. free shipping BOTH ways.

The Infotainer
    Up

yes Test it out first

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.