Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Will Word Press (& other CMS) plug-ins kill websites?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    ::

For years I’ve been telling clients that sliders are mostly useless. Now a post on “Will Google Kill Word Press? “ has prompted this thread.

At last I’ve found an article that articulates this position in detail…

14 Feb 14: Our themes don’t have sliders… Because sliders suck.

It is worth repeating some of its key references on FS.

“It’s not often that science is conclusive in their findings. However, sliders (sometimes named carrousels) seem to be one topic on which it is. There’s literally not one study that I’ve found that says sliders are a good idea.

I often point people to http://shouldiuseacarousel.com/ when wanting to explain why not to use a slider.”

Only 1% of the people actually click on a slide, which almost always was the first slide

People simply ignore your slider, because it triggers banner blindness; (Carousel Interaction Stats)

They slow down your site, negatively impacting your SEO and conversion rate(!!); (Homepage Sliders: Bad For SEO, Bad For Usability)

They don’t always work well on mobile devices, (Sliders Suck – Let me count the ways)

They push your content down, which Google recently mentioned yet again is not smart; (Page layout algorithm improvement )

It dilutes your message, because suddenly there are multiple messages on your homepage. (Don’t Use Automatic Image Sliders or Carousels, Ignore the Fad .)

• Do you have a slider on your Home page?
    • Did your web designer reommend it?
    • What communications objectives is it delivering?

What do you think?
    Regs,
    JohnW

wink5y
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Well i wouldn’t say wordpress plug-ins kill websites, maybe they aren’t great for web development companies ? i wouldn’t know i don’t own one. But i can i say i owe a lot to wordpress and its available plugins.

In regards to your thread title:
    I’ve built my first website on wordpress using plugins for easy additional features.
    Made my first online sale using wordpress paypal plugin.
    Got first registered user using a wordpress registration form plugin.
    Had my first newsletter signup with a wordpress plugin.
    These are just the main points in a long list of things i would have never been able to do on my own considering i had no coding/development background or a large enough budget to have a website built for me.

in regards to the slider effectiveness:
    Don’t get me wrong though, wordpress plugins aren’t the type of things that will instantly boost sales by 1000% if used, there definitely are plugins that wont make a positive impact on the website but there are those that will. Sliders hasn’t yielded any spectacular results for me in the past, it was purely just a cosmetic thing in my experience so i have to agree with you on that.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

Which would you like us to discuss? The title or your first post?

Title : Nope, they won’t. The question appears to be link bait.

Post : Yep, I’d agree. But website owners love them because it makes the site look more dynamic.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Sliders suck, yes.

Your post title is misleading, John.

rmck
    • Total posts: 35
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 186050 wrote:
    Post : Yep, I’d agree. But website owners love them because it makes the site look more dynamic.

Unfortunately a carousel is often on the client’s “must have list” and as a consequence (sigh) we’re often required to include one in our builds.

They will become redundant at some point, just as splash pages (lol) did.

Ryan

wink5y
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    john romaine, post: 186058 wrote:
    sliders suck, yes.

Your post title is misleading, john.

lol

Lucid Web Design
    • Total posts: 31
    Up

On the issue of sliders an carousels. I find most clients love them. Most sliders are simply an HTML list of images and text that render as sliders with a bit of javascript trickery.

For me there are 3 issues with sliders. Firstly, there is tendency to load up large numbers of images for the slide show. This will slow your page down. Too many images means you need to put you page on a diet.

The second issue is how the slider renders on a phone. A lot don’t play nicely with smart phones. Make sure the plugin plays nicely with mobiles. I tend to use flexslider for my work, but there are plenty of other ones out there too.

The 3rd is everybody does it. I guess that is a judgement call on whether or not it adds value to your site.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

The problem is that because everyone else does it, it makes others feel as though they need to do it too. Just like social media..”Oh we need a Facebook page”

Why?

“I dont know, but we do, don’t we?”

If you’re going to use a slider, at least make it DO something purposeful.

And be sure to TEST its effectiveness.

You guys might be interested in reading this….

http://www.worksmedia.com.au/conversions/6-annoying-features-features-hurt-websites-conversion-rates/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.