Home – New Forums Tech talk Win XP now extends security for software

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    tf76
    • Total posts: 14
    Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    ::

Seems weird that a company has to fully support a product that old.

You could say it’s because XP was such a good product … or, that they’ve failed to move their customer base forward with better options.

My opinion is, it’s a bit of both.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Interesting article, some great discussion on where Windows is headed in the linked source article too.

I don’t usually follow what’s happening with MS, but the anecdotal evidence via the article indicated that Windows 8 was yet another MS lemon … if that’s correct no wonder there’s a resistance to upgrade.

Windows XP release was the last time I had a MS system as my primary one, I’ve seen nothing since that would inspire me to change back to their products.

TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up

this is only malware definitions though if I read the article correctly
    for soloists, this is ok, however MSSE is actually only permitted as a licenced application on sites less than 10 seats if i remember correctly.

eWAY
    • Total posts: 524
    Up
    estim8, post: 181729 wrote:
    Interesting article, some great discussion on where Windows is headed in the linked source article too.

I don’t usually follow what’s happening with MS, but the anecdotal evidence via the article indicated that Windows 8 was yet another MS lemon … if that’s correct no wonder there’s a resistance to upgrade.

Windows XP release was the last time I had a MS system as my primary one, I’ve seen nothing since that would inspire me to change back to their products.

Andre Drezga, post: 181732 wrote:
    I agree. After XP, Windows 7 is the only one worth pursuing, certainly from a business users point of view. Windows 8/8.1, with the metro look is simply an unnecessary layer of consumerism overlaid on top of W7, practically speaking, which business users really don’t need. I know you can disable a whole lot of those features, but a lot of business people are paying me to do that, making me think that it’s just not what they need.

Andre

Come on now, the metro interface is aimed at unifying the GUI between all platforms it supports (Phone, Tablet, (touch) laptop, PC, ?). Windows 8.1 allows you to boot straight in to the desktop view if you want to.

The ONLY reason XP still exists are inflated government department budgets allowing them to happily run productivity sapping legacy applications and hardware.

The time saved in o/s and application loading in Windows 8.1 would pay for the licensing cost alone, especially given the discounts available through volume licensing!

Not to mention the web application development cost reduction from not having to support IE8!

Maclean

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    eWAY, post: 181808 wrote:
    Not too mention the web application development cost reduction from not having to support IE8!

Hear hear!

eWAY
    Up
    Andre Drezga, post: 181878 wrote:
    From that angle, I see the point. But I just remember my first experience with 8 ( and a lot of other users have complained to me about this), every tile I clicked on seemed to take me somewhere where I had to sign in to an account for something!

Hmm, shouldn’t be an issue if you sign in to a Microsoft account at the very start.

Andre Drezga, post: 181878 wrote:
    Now that you mention it, Windows 8.1 does load reasonably fast: something I find so frustrating in Windows 7 (then again, I’ve been spoilt: I’m a Linux desktop user!). But I haven’t had much success in using it on my computer since I upgraded from 8.1. It won’t recognize my wireless adapter nor my network card: so I have not internet connection anymore in Windows. Let’s face it Windows 8 has been fraught with issues, which I’m sure is putting a lot of business owners off from upgrading.
    The comments at the end of this article are just the tip of the iceberg …

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57610729-285/how-to-uninstall-windows-8.1

Windows 8 had some usability issues and I agree, it’s not the most intuitive to use at first, but then again neither was the jump from 3.1.1 to ’95.

Have you tried plugging in your ethernet cable to see if it will pull some drivers down from the Internet? Otherwise, pop of your PC model and I’ll point you in the right direction.

Maclean

eWAY
    Up
    Andre Drezga, post: 181918 wrote:
    Thanks for this tip. Like I said, neither my wireless adapter nor my onboard network adapter are working. So no internet when I boot Windows. I haven’t had a chance to chase it up really to determine whether the installation just didn’t install the drivers, or whether, as many have found, the particular cards I have don’t have drivers for W8.1 yet.
    I only use the Windows OS for experimenting and researching anyway, so not real urgent.
    But, if you happen to have the info handy, my motherboard is a Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P. Thanks a lot.

Andre

Ah sorry, I misread that as “wireless adapter for my network card”

Hmm, seems to use the Realtek 8111e chip (which if my memory serves me correct I had in a Dell laptop and always had issues with) You can download the chipset driver directly from Realtek here – http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Just put it on a USB drive and install that way (if your USB chipset is working LOL)

Or you can download the Gigabyte specific driver from here (which is newer) – http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3833#dl

Actually, just saw that depending on the revision of the mobo you have it can come with either Atheros and Realtek chip, so maybe double check first.

Maclean

eWAY
    Up
    Andre Drezga, post: 181937 wrote:
    Thanks a lot Maclean, will try that as soon as I get some time.

Just noticed this thread’s been transformed from one re Windows XP expiration, to a Windows 8.1 troubleshooting one!!
    Thanks for your help.

Andre

Good point, mods please clean up if you feel it’s necessary.

PM me if you need any other help.

Maclean

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    eWAY, post: 181939 wrote:
    Mods please clean up if you feel it’s necessary.

LOL! I would… but I have no idea what language you guys are speaking, so I wouldn’t know where to start! ;)

markn
    • Total posts: 103
    Up

I host several websites and Windows XP is still the second most used OS used by visitors (from a sample of 100,000+ visits per month). Windows 7 is the most popular. It’s also still heavily used in business environments. Extending support is a smart move.

eWAY
    Up
    markn, post: 182403 wrote:
    I host several websites and Windows XP is still the second most used OS used by visitors (from a sample of 100,000+ visits per month). Windows 7 is the most popular. It’s also still heavily used in business environments. Extending support is a smart move.

A couple of points on this:

– They’re not extending support. They’re extending the releases of Internet Security updates. Windows/IE etc won’t get updated any more, it’s just the security product.

– If they had end-of-lifed it 5 years ago like they should have you wouldn’t see it as your number 2 used Operating System and you wouldn’t have to write workarounds to make your website work in IE8 (have you checked if your website actually works properly in IE8? A lot don’t)

Maclean

markn
    • Total posts: 103
    Up
    eWAY, post: 182406 wrote:
    A couple of points on this:

– If they had end-of-lifed it 5 years ago like they should have you wouldn’t see it as your number 2 used Operating System and you wouldn’t have to write workarounds to make your website work in IE8 (have you checked if your website actually works properly in IE8? A lot don’t)

Maclean

I check all my websites in most versions of IE from 7 onwards. I actually spent 4 days a couple of weeks ago fixing up and testing a number of issues with my SAAS that IE11 caused. So whether it be IE8 (and XP can run IE9) or IE 11 you better be testing for all major browsers. I can assure you that if you have any sort of complexity in your JS or CSS then you’re likely to see quirks in any browser regardless of branding or version.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.