Home – New Forums Tech talk Windows 8 for $40

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    ::

Windows 7 was a good comeback after the disaster of Vista. The trouble was, many simply decided to stick with XP and not upgrade. This was all well and good except that support is now long gone and XP is a dead product.

So how can MS galvanise the recalcitrant masses in to action and get them buying Windows 8?

Easy! Sell it for less than $50

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

That’s almost too good to be true. I read the article expecting to find a catch, but there isn’t one.

I guess I’ll be migrating to Windows 8 earlier than I thought I’d be!

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 122181 wrote:

Great. I’ll hold off then until you report back with any issues or upgrades you don’t like lol.

Wendy :)

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 122181 wrote:

do you really want to be rushing into the first tablet style os microsoft releases? remember
    win 95 – bsod city
    win me – bsod city and endless driver issues
    win vista – bloated and endless driver issues

Im guessing win 8 is going to be unnecessarily gimmicky. I’ll hang out and wait for win 8 second edition or win 9.

Steve

Uncomplicating
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 122220 wrote:
    do you really want to be rushing into the first tablet style os microsoft releases? remember
    win 95 – bsod city
    win me – bsod city and endless driver issues
    win vista – bloated and endless driver issues

Im guessing win 8 is going to be unnecessarily gimmicky. I’ll hang out and wait for win 8 second edition or win 9.

Steve

I like this sort of comment. It reminds me of just how prejudicial we (including me) are and how we measure past performance by today’s standards.

Most of what Steve says is true, although somewhat subjective, BUT!!!!!, we must judge by what went before each of these, not by the lessons MS learned by their mistakes.

win 95 – blue screen of death city…that made Win 3.11 look like the configuration monster it was. Countless hours excluding chunks of memory in Config.sys trying to get network and video cards not to stomp on each other, and trying to work out in what order to load drivers.

win me – bsod city and endless driver issues that addressed many of the Plug and Play (up) issues in 95 and was a significant step forwards.

win vista – bloated and endless driver issues. Yeah, Vista was pretty mediocre but I ran it happily for 4 years and had no real issues to speak of. In fact, I only replaced it a week ago when the hard drive crashed.

Each of these was the technology of the day and Vista was the worst of the bunch undoubtedly. But Windows 7 has been around for a while now and it’s very good indeed and it’s a result of millions of people using all that went before.

Of course, being a commercial software designer I sympathise with MS. 27 years of Windows and 40 million lines of code later and the result is Windows 7 which all things considered is a miracle of man’s ingenuity.

And if we want to go for the obligatory comparison with the humble motor vehicle, it’s been around for over 100. They still stop mysteriously, tyres still get punctures, engines are still hugely inefficient and cars still cause 100 deaths per month in Australia alone.

I shall get a copy of Win8 when its available. I’ll take the free updates that come my way courtesy of the manufacturer and I’ll let them have details of the issues I find.

Good value for $40 I think.

Horses for courses though as ever.

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

It’s too cheap. It must be dodgy :)

The cost of IT is never in the up front bill….it’s the retraining, the compatability problems, the lack of drivers, and all the downtime that causes, etc, etc…

I think a $40 price point will only make much difference to the buying decision of your home/retail and small business buyers…they’ll still complain about the $150/hour labour bills tho…”wot?!!! but this only cost me $40 and you’re charging wot?!! I’m in the wrong industry!” lol…

I think businesses with real bean counters will know better…

Divert To Mobile
    Up

Stewart, I agree $40 for a piece of software is insanely cheap.
    Its worth buying just to play with. I wont however be loading it onto my desktop and hope for any measure of productivity. From what Ive seen I think its more targed to tablets than workstations.

I think 8’s going to flop, android will end up dominating the tablet zone and the next desktop os that will be accepted by the majority is going to be virtual and cloud based.
    Thats just my opinion – could be wrong tho.

Uncomplicating
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 122305 wrote:
    Stewart, I agree $40 for a piece of software is insanely cheap.
    Its worth buying just to play with. I wont however be loading it onto my desktop and hope for any measure of productivity. From what Ive seen I think its more targed to tablets than workstations.

I think 8’s going to flop, android will end up dominating the tablet zone and the next desktop os that will be accepted by the majority is going to be virtual and cloud based.
    Thats just my opinion – could be wrong tho.

MS has they’ve changed the UI in a “one size fits all” approach so that tablet desktop and phone are essentially the same look and feel. Existing applications will run as they do today.

They’ve also built in a pile of new features and rationalised a lot of the underlying technologies. Most of this will go unnoticed by the typical end-user, be that home or commercial, but it’s very good news for software vendors who get to play by the same rules regardless of platform should they so wish.

Personally I think the tablet war is just beginning to get going. Most corporate customers are currently using iPad, and Android is still seen as not quite the solid platform that they want. And Win8 will impact both. How much remains to be seen, but the concepts MS are offering are highly attractive.

As for virtual desktop, don’t hold your breath. Until bandwidth and network speeds reach super fast levels, it just isn’t practical. And even should it get to that point, there doesn’t appear to be a great deal of benefit.

Uncomplicating
    Up
    JohnSheppard, post: 122302 wrote:
    It’s too cheap. It must be dodgy :)

The cost of IT is never in the up front bill….it’s the retraining, the compatability problems, the lack of drivers, and all the downtime that causes, etc, etc…

I think a $40 price point will only make much difference to the buying decision of your home/retail and small business buyers…they’ll still complain about the $150/hour labour bills tho…”wot?!!! but this only cost me $40 and you’re charging wot?!! I’m in the wrong industry!” lol…

I think businesses with real bean counters will know better…

I shall say what I always say to people who complain about the cost of IT.

If it’s too expensive, don’t use it. Go back to sending handwritten or typed letters in the post and do your accounts in a ledger.

Divert To Mobile
    Up
    Uncomplicating, post: 122311 wrote:
    Most of this will go unnoticed by the typical end-user, be that home or commercial, but it’s very good news for software vendors who get to play by the same rules regardless of platform should they so wish.

Sounds excellent I cant wait to play angry birds on my desktop, I just cant seem to get the right angles on my phone.
    Maybe some good will come of win8

Steve

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

$40 is expensive when you consider the cost of Android.

Uncomplicating
    Up
    bluepenguin, post: 122321 wrote:
    $40 is expensive when you consider the cost of Android.

True, except that as Android doesn’t run on my desktop it’s pretty bloody useless.

Still, it’s free, so it’s great value

JohnSheppard
    Up
    Uncomplicating, post: 122315 wrote:
    I shall say what I always say to people who complain about the cost of IT.

If it’s too expensive, don’t use it. Go back to sending handwritten or typed letters in the post and do your accounts in a ledger.

I would argue that many small business should do just that:) But that’s a different discussion. My only point was that the cost of software licensing is paltry compared to the knowledge capital required to operate them.

$250 for a windows license is paltry. $40 for a windows license is paltry. Free. Is paltry…who cares….what matters is how efficient it makes you….changing software doesn’t make ones organisation efficient…the loss of efficiency costs you multiple times the cost of a paltry license….

If you tell me windows 8 is going to make me more efficient by 2%, well, I’d probably pay $2000 or so for it…(for the record, I’m entirely certain it won’t)

Computer people don’t think like that…they’d be accountants otherwise…

Uncomplicating
    Up
    JohnSheppard, post: 122386 wrote:
    $250 for a windows license is paltry. $40 for a windows license is paltry. Free. Is paltry…who cares….what matters is how efficient it makes you….changing software doesn’t make ones organisation efficient…the loss of efficiency costs you multiple times the cost of a paltry license….

Changing software may well make a business more efficient, provided the software is an appropriate fit for the businesses working practices.

But efficiency is not the be all and end all. There is always a trade off with functionality.

Software and computers in general are just tools to help you go about your daily business. If your software determines your working practices, the tail is wagging the dog and it’s time to get new software.

JohnSheppard, post: 122386 wrote:
    Computer people don’t think like that…they’d be accountants otherwise…

Actually, they do. Well, some of us do. You assertion is sadly one of the great misunderstandings of what it means to be a “computer person”.

For some of us, efficiency, functionality and total cost of ownership are very much at the forefront of our thinking. We view computers as a means to an end and not the end in themselves.

They’re just tools of a trade. They require maintenance and training for correct use.

Anyone who complains that computers have cost them money in the long term has clearly not used the tool correctly, or they’re using the wrong tool.

JohnSheppard
    Up
    Uncomplicating, post: 122399 wrote:
    Actually, they do. Well, some of us do. You assertion is sadly one of the great misunderstandings of what it means to be a “computer person”.

For some of us, efficiency, functionality and total cost of ownership are very much at the forefront of our thinking. We view computers as a means to an end and not the end in themselves.

Sorry for making a generalisation. That was wrong of me. You are correct though in that many do consider efficiency and total cost of ownership.

Uncomplicating, post: 122399 wrote:
    Anyone who complains that computers have cost them money in the long term has clearly not used the tool correctly, or they’re using the wrong tool.

Well that’s the thing….people that understand computers are few and far between….that’s the whole problem with them….and complexity costs money…

You make it sound like it’s easy to choose the correct tool. It’s not. It’s incredibly difficult:)

I’ve never worked hell desk, but I have worked retail computer sales in my time…average people do not understand them…and never will….

I’ve also done software dev for many years…every smart dude on earth underestimates costs…myself included…although I’m a bit wiser now :) … all because its very complex…

But anyway that’s all a big diversion, I use windows 7, and I think what would make me more efficient? Not a metro interface :) More polish on those niggling little pain in the ass problems?…maybe…a $40 keyboard with special curly bracket keys?…yeah!

What would make things more efficient for regular noobie computer person? Nothing, you can’t help those people :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.