Home – New Forums Tech talk Windows 8 for $40

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    ::
    eStrategyPro.com, post: 0 wrote:
    The drawback for XP and Vista users is that the upgrade to Win8 will not preserve their programs. They have to reinstall all their programs after the upgrade.

It may be $50 for the recalcitrant, but they have to factor in the time as well.

It’s always a consideration, recalcitrant or otherwise.

Android’s “free”, or so I’m told. It came with my $50/month phone plan and has caused me no end of angst over and above the $50.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up
    ::

I agree that there will more difficulty upgrading to Windows 8 for businesses who rely on certain programs and drivers that will not be upgraded at the same time. Changing from Windows XP to Windows 7 was much easier which is why many skipped Vista.

I am on a Mac but my husband’s business is PC and I know that they will stay with Windows 7 for a few years because the staff know it and can take bookings easily. Everything is in a routine. Changing over from Windows XP to Windows 7 was difficult and frustrating for some of them. As was the upgrade to MS Office. Many of the staff are older and find change very difficult. The software does not consider the needs of those technically challenged. To me, changing to a Mac would be easier than changing to Windows 8. But again, I’m a bit biased there because I really prefer using a Mac.

For businesses, you need to go with what functions best for not only you, but the various ages and skills of your staff. The most successful upgrades are the ones that don’t dramatically change everything – and unfortunately, Windows8 is very different to it’s predecessors. It’s best on a new computer that is not dependent on prior software for programs or printers.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.