Home Forums Money matters Withholding from Overseas Suppliers (if ABN not Supplied)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    RegularNick
    • Total posts: 2

Hi all, I’ve been doing my head in today going round and round the ATO website looking for information on the ‘Withholding if ABN not provided‘ for suppliers not located in Australia. The information seems to be surprisingly hard to find given that in this day and age, plenty of businesses must be using overseas services of varying types.

My assumption was always that its up to them (my non Australian suppliers) to look after their own tax affairs including any obligations for paying tax in Australia and that I shouldn’t expect a non Australian business to have an ABN. Am I really meant to be withholding 47% of their invoices and paying it to the ATO? It’s not even possible is most cases as I have to pay for the services in advance. Am I missing something?

Any information or guidance on this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nick

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712

I am not an expert but as far as I know things are different for overseas suppliers, they cannot get an ABN and you cannot withhold.

Only if they have an Australian branch and are supplying via them do they need an ABN and you withhold if they don’t supply one.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472
    RegularNick
    • Total posts: 2

Thanks so much for your help Rowan@quaotic and bb1! The link from bb1 was particularly helpful, somehow I didn’t come across it in my searching yesterday.

Cheers,
    Nick

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.