Home – New Forums Tech talk Word 2010 templates & ribbons – HELP!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Deirdre Sykes
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::
    The Copy Chick, post: 170801 wrote:
    I’ve just created a new template document in Word 2010 and added “fill-in” fields which I’ve bookmarked and linked to a “ref” field to automatically populate the information from the fill-in field.

Works a treat and does exactly what it’s supposed to – except that when I open the template to create a new document my ribbon has completely disappeared. It’s not minimised – it’s not there at all… no tabs (File, Home, Insert, etc.), no sizing options in the bottom right corner. Just the ruler. That’s it!!

This is only happening in the template document and I’m not sure if it’s because it’s a template, or if it’s the field codes doing something weird.

Has anyone else had this problem, or can anyone advise how to create a template that doesn’t create a “naked” document.

Thanks!!

This could be the reason why everything is disappearing:
    It is built in the XML code that may have inadvertently been carried across into your template.

Something else must be at play here or affecting your template as using fill-in fields, bookmarks and ref fields do not affect the ribbon display.

Regards, Deirdre

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and offers for help.

Suzy: I’ve tried to create a new template using nothing from the old template, just putting in the field codes and saving. This still has the same problem – so it’s nothing I’ve copied across from the previous template. Interestingly, if I save a Word doc as a template with no field codes, it opens with the ribbons. It’s only with the field codes in that causes the problem.

I did have Brent take a look at it for me and it seemed it was having conversion issues. He had a play with the file and emailed it back to me… it worked fine when I used the template directly from the email, but after I ‘dragged and dropped’ it into my quote folder, it had issues again.

Deidre: It’s not really ribbon customisation I’m having an issue with – it’s the ribbon and tabs missing altogether. The template is also only for my own purposes to save me having to re-enter the same information in various places, but it should still have the standard tabs and ribbons, regardless.

Shail: Yes, I’ve created template myself using the standard Word options under the ‘Insert’ tab, eg:

1. Insert > Quick Parts > Field > Fill-In (prompt = Client_name)
    2. Bookmark field by name (name = Client_name)
    3. Insert > Quick Parts > Field > Ref > select bookmark (Client_name)

I’ve used these same MS options for years to populate forms with repeat information, but this is the first time I’ve lost all formatting options at the top of the page. The actual field codes are working perfectly, however.

Calcul8or
    Participant
    • Total posts: 481
    Up
    The Copy Chick, post: 171343 wrote:
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions and offers for help.

Suzy: I’ve tried to create a new template using nothing from the old template, just putting in the field codes and saving. This still has the same problem – so it’s nothing I’ve copied across from the previous template. Interestingly, if I save a Word doc as a template with no field codes, it opens with the ribbons. It’s only with the field codes in that causes the problem.

I did have Brent take a look at it for me and it seemed it was having conversion issues. He had a play with the file and emailed it back to me… it worked fine when I used the template directly from the email, but after I ‘dragged and dropped’ it into my quote folder, it had issues again.

Deidre: It’s not really ribbon customisation I’m having an issue with – it’s the ribbon and tabs missing altogether. The template is also only for my own purposes to save me having to re-enter the same information in various places, but it should still have the standard tabs and ribbons, regardless.

Shail: Yes, I’ve created template myself using the standard Word options under the ‘Insert’ tab, eg:

1. Insert > Quick Parts > Field > Fill-In (prompt = Client_name)
    2. Bookmark field by name (name = Client_name)
    3. Insert > Quick Parts > Field > Ref > select bookmark (Client_name)

I’ve used these same MS options for years to populate forms with repeat information, but this is the first time I’ve lost all formatting options at the top of the page. The actual field codes are working perfectly, however.

Hmmmm……I don’t understand why something so straightforward would end up doing such strange things. I still suspect an XML corruption.

Is starting fresh and doing it all over again an option?

Programmer. Analyst. Nerd. Calcul8ors.com.au Custom Software & Collaboration
    The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    Calcul8or, post: 173175 wrote:
    Hmmmm……I don’t understand why something so straightforward would end up doing such strange things. I still suspect an XML corruption.

Is starting fresh and doing it all over again an option?

You and me both! And yeah, I’ve tried setting up a brand new template document (just testing with a couple of fields first) and it does the same thing. I’m resigned to having another Word doc open first for it to work properly. A minor thing – but weird nonetheless.

Apparently technology hates me… which is kinda sad, because I love technology :rolleyes:

Calcul8or
    Participant
    • Total posts: 481
    Up
    The Copy Chick, post: 173185 wrote:
    You and me both! And yeah, I’ve tried setting up a brand new template document (just testing with a couple of fields first) and it does the same thing. I’m resigned to having another Word doc open first for it to work properly. A minor thing – but weird nonetheless.

Apparently technology hates me… which is kinda sad, because I love technology :rolleyes:

Betcha it’s the simplest and most obvious thing. It always is. And it’ll come to you like a flash at the most inappropriate moment, making you cheer in triumph when you’re supposed to be acting serious or something!

Programmer. Analyst. Nerd. Calcul8ors.com.au Custom Software & Collaboration
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.