Home – New Forums Tech talk WordPress alternative?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    ::

I know this forum is strongly WordPress orientated but I thought for the purpose of exploring what else is out there I’d throw this in.

I like WordPress and have used it quite a bit but the whole hosting paradigm was doing my head in, I tried various flavours of shared hosting, even had my own VPS for a year or so and just find the whole thing a pain.

Tried Google Sites, built in functionality was good but oh so limited in design capability.

Recently I converted to Squarespace and have been surprised by how good it is to use.

The site in my signature is running on it using just an off the shelf template, nothing special but the use case for this site is just to provide a bit of info for companies I deal with for clients if they want check me out, I can’t be fussed going to too much trouble.

But you can do almost anything with their sites including inject your own code, HTML, CSS and more.

Content management, social media et al all built in, you can import from other platforms, integrates with Google mail.

Whole thing runs on an enterprise Java grid hosted platform.

It’s not drag and drop, though you can get a site running without coding anything.

Could suit a designer that can handle HTML, CSS and Javascript but doesn’t want to touch the backend, they do have developer deals for site volumes.

Be interested to know if anyone’s tried it.

As stated often, no one tool fit’s everything but this is worth a look IMHO.

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

You said the hosting thing was doing your head in. What do you mean by that and how does that affect using WordPress? Just so I understand what you mean.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    kathiemt, post: 129148 wrote:
    You said the hosting thing was doing your head in. What do you mean by that and how does that affect using WordPress? Just so I understand what you mean.I think it’s because hosting is included with the website builder he has chosen. So now the website builder is the host, which confuses me a little as to why that is better than finding your own host.

Most websites don’t need a VPS, shared hosting is enough.

I run a few managed VPS’s and the service is so awesome that I would be very hesitant to change.

Squarespace looks pretty good, but I will stick to WordPress. The themes it’s provided are ok.

Greg_M
    Up

Any form of hosting requires back end site maintenance, separate accounts to pay, serious scrutiny of the service your using, especially how they secure their servers.

That’s before you “harden” the site to keep it secure, back it up, clean out the comment spammers.

Plus you need to stay updated with admin. best practice for the particular CMS you’re running, be it WordPress or any other database driven CMS that runs on Apache web servers or similar.

I used to do this for several businesses, including running the actual server … might be worth it, if you run enough sites but ROI (my time) I think it’s a pain.

If your not doing all the above, or paying someone to do it for you then I’d argue you’re wide open to being taken down, I’ve got the tee shirt to prove it.

The platform I’m talking about won’t suit everyone, for all kinds of reasons (right tool, blah blah).

But it does run on an enterprise grade Java platform which is a whole jump up in security, all the above mentioned maintenance is pretty much done for you.

It won’t affect WordPress but if what you want is a CMS, it will give it a pretty good run on functionality but without separate hosting.

kathiemt
    Up

I was just confused about your original comment about wordpress and then adding to the equasion the hosting. They are two very separate things.

I love WordPress and use it for a lot of the sites I do, whether for myself or for clients. But I do some in html using Dreamweaver too, but they are few and far between. I purchase templates through StudioPress mainly and then modify them to suit the needs for the site I’m doing.

Greg_M
    Up
    kathiemt, post: 129162 wrote:
    I was just confused about your original comment about wordpress and then adding to the equasion the hosting. They are two very separate things.

I love WordPress and use it for a lot of the sites I do, whether for myself or for clients. But I do some in html using Dreamweaver too, but they are few and far between. I purchase templates through StudioPress mainly and then modify them to suit the needs for the site I’m doing.

I like WordPress too, just don’t like the hosting options, if you want a lot of templates, Squarespace is very limited, it’s really aimed at someone at wants to write their own CSS, HTML and Javascript (or who has a designer), just gives you an integrated environment to develop in.

Never used Dreamweaver, only code in a text editor, usually BBedit, giving Sublime a run at the moment

kathiemt
    Up
    estim8, post: 129165 wrote:
    I like WordPress too, just don’t like the hosting options, if you want a lot of templates, Squarespace is very limited, it’s really aimed at someone at wants to write their own CSS, HTML and Javascript (or who has a designer), just gives you an integrated environment to develop in.

Never used Dreamweaver, only code in a text editor, usually BBedit, giving Sublime a run at the moment

Sounds like to me you were using WordPress.com which is limited. If you’re operating a business you should be self-hosted, i.e. paying for hosting, in which case you aren’t limited for templates at all. Or you can create your own or have one designed for you.

Greg_M
    Up
    kathiemt, post: 129167 wrote:
    Sounds like to me you were using WordPress.com which is limited. If you’re operating a business you should be self-hosted, i.e. paying for hosting, in which case you aren’t limited for templates at all. Or you can create your own or have one designed for you.

No, I know the difference between running on a subdomain for free and how to host a site.

I was installing WordPress from the command line on a self managed Linux Ubuntu Virtual Server (Linode) with only encrypted SSH key access, on top of Ubuntu I was running Apache2 as the web server and Phusion Passenger as the front end for Ruby on Rails, plus running my own Domain Name Server.

Prior to that I was using shared hosting where I got sick of getting smashed (poor choice of hosting I admit).

I’m also not limited by templates, I write HTML including 5 and CSS including 3,
    just chose to use a template for the site in my signature cause I’m lazy when it comes to my own sites.

The link to Squarespace was offered up for any one who wants to trial something different but it’s in whole different league to Dreamweaver.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Never used squarespace but have you tried Joomla?
    I have some associates who swear by it.

I see in another post you said you were installing packages from shell, if your finding that a drain you might find cpanel with fantastico installer a blessing.

Steve

Greg_M
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 129184 wrote:
    Never used squarespace but have you tried Joomla?
    I have some associates who swear by it.

I see in another post you said you were installing packages from shell, if your finding that a drain you might find cpanel with fantastico installer a blessing.

Steve
    You can tell I’m avoiding my in tray on a Monday morning, forums are a lot more interesting.

I have tried Joomla, found it a lot less intuitive to use than WordPress (the admin back end) but didn’t use it enough to make fair comment, got a web developer living in another small town nearby who is part of their core development team (or was), he builds really nice sites, tried to drag me into the Joomla fold.

Been down several shared hosting tracks and agree cpanel et al make installing a breeze, actually chose the shell option partly for security, partly for better performance of a VPS (they run a site liked greased lighning) but the only really cheap way to get into VPS is buy a slice with a bare server and manage it yourself, also to see if running my own server was profitable (I had client sites on it) and it wasn’t.. leave hosting to the experts.

Don’t want to start a flame war but I don’t use anything running PHP serverside anymore ( my site hacks were javascript injected through PHP files – not the fault of WordPress I hasten to add), I can’t write it, so can’t fix it and can only half tell what someone else has done, so I’ll leave it to someone who can.

Apart from this foray into Squarespace where someone else is carrying the can, I only use Ruby for serverside code, no expert but I like it and the frameworks available for developing with it.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    estim8, post: 129172 wrote:
    Prior to that I was using shared hosting where I got sick of getting smashed (poor choice of hosting I admit).

Wouldn’t Squarespace still be shared hosting?

Anyway, looks good to be honest. If your website can exist within the confines of their functionality then there’s no reason not to use them and they certainly seem to be better placed than some hosted cms systems.

On a personal note, I do like a company that shows who you’re working with
    http://www.squarespace.com/about/

Greg_M
    Up

I suppose all hosting is shared to some extent, unless you own or lease the physical hardware.

I think the difference here is they claim to use ‘grid’ hosting, still shared but instead of cutting up one server instance with multiple sites the resources are distributed in a matrix or grid that responds to wherever traffic hits it (clear as mud).

Shared or not, there seems to be some fairly serious sites using it without complaint, I also like the fact that it runs using Java and by the look of their “careers with us” page you’d need some pretty serious skills to get a gig in their office.

I’ll continue to play around with it, they’ve just given me a free site on their new platform (Squarespace6) because I had a couple running on Squarespace5, it’s a pretty radical change but so far I like it and haven’t spent too long hunting their “knowledge base” to sort it out.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

Tumblr is an underrated platform in my opinion.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    estim8, post: 129246 wrote:
    I also like the fact that it runs using Java and by the look of their “careers with us” page you’d need some pretty serious skills to get a gig in their office.

“Every Squarespace employee gets $5,000 to customize their own tech setup”

That is fantastic

Greg_M
    Up
    tonyk, post: 129249 wrote:
    Tumblr is an underrated platform in my opinion.

I had a go at Tumblr, it was great fun but it kept breaking down, I think it was having issues scaling to meet demand, assume it’s all fixed by now.

Is it still a blogging type format with bells on?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.