Home – New Forums Tech talk WordPress and customising look?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    ::

Hi Peeps,

Firstly my apologies for being quite vague with this query although would love some insight from this knowledgeable FS community (ok enough sycophancy)….

Basically my question is about WordPress as an online ecommerce site and using templates… If i use a template on wordpress as a temporary solution to an online sales platform, can it easily be customised down the track through CMS? without mucking up the back end?

Ok, my assumption (oh boy… what a terrible thing) is it can be done… if so, can anyone provide me a guestimate of cost for this (even a range) so i can potentially budget for this? yes BUDGET, small business and me takes time.. LOL..

Thanks for insight,, if i am blatantly overlooking something that i have not mentioned or asked about please feel free to let me know..

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    James
    Participant
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

Hi Jason,

In essence that should be very achievable.

If I were to do this I would get a theme from WooThemes. Visually they are not the most exciting templates around but they are some of the most stable and well-supported. Plus they have a great back-end for doing simple customisations.

These guys are also the developer of WooCommerce, one of the better WordPress eCommerce plugins.

By getting both your theme and store plugin from the same provider, you are going to get good compatibility.

This can’t be said for some other store plugins. I have played around with a few and they all require some impressive technical know-how to really get them working properly with most purchased themes.

WooThemes release plenty of themes each year and upgrading to a new one would be relatively straight forward should you want to change the design.

If you wanted to get a custom theme designed, you would just want to get your developer to start from the WooThemes template called Canvas. That way you can be assured the WooCommerce plugin will integrate nicely.

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up

Any major customisation will involve working with the code. Off the shelf themes will give you a few colour and layout variations and that’s about it.

And if you’re wanting a dedicate ecommerce site and have a limited budget, I would suggest looking at one of the hosted options such as Shopify and Bigcommerce.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up

Thanks James/Zava

Yeah off the shelf initially sounds the way at present and then have someone customize the CMS for us down the track..

James, i have played around a bit with woocommerce and find them extremely helpful to boot and ‘ok’ off the shelf.. May implement this and then engage someone for the custom side of things down the track.. ps re canvas.. TY, great suggestion….

Zava,,, i like the shopify and big but i am struggling with fees attached to it… and also struggling to work a pros and cons list to justify fees.. not saying its not the way to go,, just i tend to analyse (well over analyse) everything and its like trying to compare apples with basketballs! oops..

Hopefully (without asking how long is a piece of string) i can get some input later re $$$$ on following the woo path… would appreciate this and truly guys, thanks so much for responding so speedily and efficiently.. wish i could be more concise!

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Brent@Ontrax
    • Total posts: 336
    Up

Jason,

As the other guys have said, pretty much everything is customisable but don’t just put in a solution now because it is free or cheap, you have to put in a solution that best serves your business and your needs. Have you had a look at the other CMS solutions, there is also Joomla with VirtueMart (and a few other eCommerce extensions) or Magento. They are Free/Low Cost if that what you’re after and are the next step up from the WordPress base.

Hope this helps.
    Brent

James
    Participant
    • Total posts: 268
    Up
    SimplyReplica, post: 157896 wrote:
    Hopefully (without asking how long is a piece of string) i can get some input later re $$$$ on following the woo path… would appreciate this and truly guys, thanks so much for responding so speedily and efficiently.. wish i could be more concise!

Could you clarify what you need cost estimates for?

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Brent@Ontrax, post: 157900 wrote:
    Jason,

As the other guys have said, pretty much everything is customisable but don’t just put in a solution now because it is free or cheap, you have to put in a solution that best serves your business and your needs. Have you had a look at the other CMS solutions, there is also Joomla with VirtueMart (and a few other eCommerce extensions) or Magento. They are Free/Low Cost if that what you’re after and are the next step up from the WordPress base.

Hope this helps.
    BrentIMHO opinion Woocommerce is a much better product than Joomla Cart, and is not one step up.

Stick with Woocommerce. A developer can create an awesome custom site down the track and any feature you require can be added using an extension.

As for costs – it’s really hard to say! Hit me up if you want some advice.

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    SimplyReplica, post: 157896 wrote:
    Zava,,, i like the shopify and big but i am struggling with fees attached to it… and also struggling to work a pros and cons list to justify fees.. not saying its not the way to go,, just i tend to analyse (well over analyse) everything and its like trying to compare apples with basketballs! oops..
    If you think their fees are too high then I worry what type of WordPress site you would get for a comparable price.

Bigcommerce “Silver” plan (up to 500 products): $40/month.
    So over 2 years that’s a total of $960 for an instant high quality site.
    If you have less than 100 products it would be $600 over 2 years.

For $960 you’re not going to get a comparable WordPress site, for $600 even less so. Will it look as stylish? Function as well? Display well across all devices? And in 2 years time you will need to upgrade anyway.

These hosted options are made for those with limited budgets, for anyone wanting a good ecommerce site for less than $1,000 it’s where I would point them.

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

I’ve done a few custom wordpress design & implementations myself, but never done a ecommerce wordpress one so hard to say on the cost as it would be quite a bit more involved as there are many more pages that would need to be done than the standard index/blog post etc pages.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    CondorCreative, post: 158050 wrote:
    I’ve done a few custom wordpress design & implementations myself, but never done a ecommerce wordpress one so hard to say on the cost as it would be quite a bit more involved as there are many more pages that would need to be done than the standard index/blog post etc pages.

Thanks C

Its hard to get prices.. luckily i love the FS community and some fellow forumites have been kind enough to lend a ‘broad’ brush so i can commence my budgeting…

Sounds like (thanks for input on this) i may be best hitting a WP install and having it up and running as i see fit for back end perspective then have someone ‘pretty’ up the pages… so the journey commences,,

TY all,, be in touch.. any more input is still appreciated as well…

Jason

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

Only other input I have is don’t use WP for medium to large ecommerce sites, best to use a proper ecommerce solution for that! :)

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    Zava Design, post: 157954 wrote:
    Bigcommerce “Silver” plan (up to 500 products): $40/month.
    So over 2 years that’s a total of $960 for an instant high quality site.
    If you have less than 100 products it would be $600 over 2 years.

I guess I’m obliged to mention that Magento Go has a bargain basement $15/month plan for those with less than 100 products. A bit of a winner if price is your main priority.

$360 for 2 years. ($345 if you include the 1 free month)

(I feel so cheap)

I feel like I’m opening a can of worms here, but why the insistence on WordPress? Is it because you’re comfortable with it? It doesn’t matter to me if you use WordPress, Magento, Shopify or whatever, I’m just curious.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    CondorCreative, post: 158067 wrote:
    Only other input I have is don’t use WP for medium to large ecommerce sites, best to use a proper ecommerce solution for that! :)

I am interested in this – what would you classify as medium? What platform would you use?

I ask because I put two clients onto Woo Commerce with a custom site a couple of years ago, and both are going awesome, making big money. We have not established any bottlenecks with WordPress yet, so we have no reason to move them.

One has over 2000 products, the other other about 50, but she makes a lot of sales each day.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 158077 wrote:
    I guess I’m obliged to mention that Magento Go has a bargain basement $15/month plan for those with less than 100 products. A bit of a winner if price is your main priority.

$360 for 2 years. ($345 if you include the 1 free month)

(I feel so cheap)

I feel like I’m opening a can of worms here, but why the insistence on WordPress? Is it because you’re comfortable with it? It doesn’t matter to me if you use WordPress, Magento, Shopify or whatever, I’m just curious.

Hey John

No not obligated to any platform, although i did spend considerable hours looking for options and playing with platforms to not really like any.. just most conversations head to WP and Woo lately of which looks easy…. as a self supported site…

I am currently looking at why ‘you feel so cheap’ (:D) and will spend the next considerable time reviewing the other self hosted commerce sites thanks to a few comments on here…

Hope that makes sense.. and thanks for heads up on info..
    Jason

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    SimplyReplica, post: 158095 wrote:
    I am currently looking at why ‘you feel so cheap’ (:D) and will spend the next considerable time reviewing the other self hosted commerce sites thanks to a few comments on here…

Ok, I might save you a bit of time by saying that Magento Go is slightly handicapped in the Australian market because it currently doesn’t integrate with Australia Post. (last time I looked)
    However, you can set-up shipping rates using tables and/or spreadsheets, or simply set-up a flat rate.
    Supported Australian payment gateways are Eway and Paypal.

Anyway, let us know what you eventually decide and why, it’s always interesting to hear why people chose their e-commerce solution in the end. :)

p.s. I’m only talking about Magento Go, the hosted solution. Magento Community and Enterprise both support Australia Post as well as a heap of payment gateways. Just to clarify.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.