Home – New Forums Tech talk WordPress MU implications for SEO

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I am going to allow users to setup a website on my WordPress MU and then domain map their domain to the sub directory.

There is not a huge amount of discussion I can find online about this issue, but what I have found indicated that there is not real affect of the potential for effective SEO of the sites.

So I thought I would see what the SEO experts here have to say.

Thanks.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Hi Matthew,

I’ve had several sites set up like that in the past, never had any problems with SEO for them.

I don’t think the SE’s care too much as long as they can crawl the site in normal fashion.

JoshG
    • Total posts: 110
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 161833 wrote:
    Hi,

I am going to allow users to setup a website on my WordPress MU and then domain map their domain to the sub directory.

There is not a huge amount of discussion I can find online about this issue, but what I have found indicated that there is not real affect of the potential for effective SEO of the sites.

I’ve had little experience with Wordpess MU so I’d love to see what others say, but if you’re using different domains then it shouldn’t cause an issue.

One concern would be that you’re all on the same IP but that’s normal with shared hosting anyway. I imagine you trust these users (or you can even control the content yourself) so the IP shouldn’t become associated with anything Google doesn’t like.

Of course, if they’re all constantly linking each other then they would probably become very low quality links (with the associated risks) but I imagine they’re all very separate.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Aidan, post: 161843 wrote:
    Hi Matthew,

I’ve had several sites set up like that in the past, never had any problems with SEO for them.

I don’t think the SE’s care too much as long as they can crawl the site in normal fashion.

Thanks Aidan :)

JoshG, post: 161844 wrote:
    I’ve had little experience with Wordpess MU so I’d love to see what others say, but if you’re using different domains then it shouldn’t cause an issue.

One concern would be that you’re all on the same IP but that’s normal with shared hosting anyway. I imagine you trust these users (or you can even control the content yourself) so the IP shouldn’t become associated with anything Google doesn’t like.

Of course, if they’re all constantly linking each other then they would probably become very low quality links (with the associated risks) but I imagine they’re all very separate.Yeah, the IP issue I have considered, but it’s no different than shared hosting as you point out.

The sites will not be linked at all.

Thanks heaps :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.