Home – New Forums Tech talk WordPress Plugins

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    @HeatherSmithAU
    • Total posts: 525
    Up
    ::

Hey

Time Ferris (4 hour work week)

recently posted 21 wordpress plugins that he uses :-

http://ow.ly/cAd6C

I use a few of them – but my web designer said using plugin was slowing access to my website & yes it became sluggish.

Do you use these plugins?

What plugins do you like?

Blue Jet
    • Total posts: 189
    Up

Hey

Currently using on one of our sites,
    1. Akismet
    2. All in One SEO Pack
    3. WordPress Database Backup
    4. WP Super Cache
    5. 404-to-start
    6. Contact Form Manager
    7. Dynamic To Top
    8. DW Admin Footer
    9. Google Analytics for WordPress
    10. Google XML Sitemaps
    11. Shareaholic | email, bookmark, share buttons
    12. Ultimate TinyMCE
    13. Do Follow

p.s I see only 20 plugins on that website, perhaps I am missing one?

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Im not sure if custom plugins could create vulnerabilities to the security of your site – perhaps on of the programmers here could verify.

I would keep them to a minimum.

Steve

seolyka2
    • Total posts: 157
    Up

Some of the wordpress plugins I use for our blog are All in One SEO pack, Akismet, Share Bar, Facebook like and share, TweetMeme and Google + 1 button.

@HeatherSmithAU
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

I like the sound of share bar – will investigate

seolyka2
    • Total posts: 157
    Up
    @HeatherSmithAU, post: 125737 wrote:
    I like the sound of share bar – will investigate

Thanks for considering my suggestion. You should try it. It adds a dynamic and fully customizable vertical box to the left of a blog post that contains links/buttons to popular social networking sites.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Nice post, will look at the plugins you guys/gals are using..

i am always on the lookout for newies.. i use woocommerce on a site (which is great but must be something better elsewhere and akismet.. With woocommerce it offers lots of modules that appear to incorporate some of the others you peeps have mentioned…

TY again
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    wickstim
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

It is true that plugins can slow your site down. It is also true that most new comers to WordPress add waaaaay too many plug ins, and are not aware that they can occasionally lead to lag.

I cant see why you would have more than 20 plugins. Also, if you buy a Premium template it may come with the functionality you are looking for.

I use 11 on my current site, and it is unlikely i will increase that number. 5 of the most important to me are:
    Akismet
    BackWPup
    Socialize
    Contact Form Manager
    Facebook Connect

Good luck with your site and please don’t hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.

adrian
    Participant
    • Total posts: 181
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 125696 wrote:
    Im not sure if custom plugins could create vulnerabilities to the security of your site – perhaps on of the programmers here could verify.

I’m not sure if you’re asking about plugins like those mentioned (which I’ll just call plugins), or custom written plugins that aren’t publicly available. So, I’ll try to answer for both.

No code is ever perfect, and new security holes are always being discovered. Adding any extra code to your site, either through custom plugins, or plugins, will always potentially make your site less secure in some way.

The advantage to widely used plugins in WordPress is that anyone can look at the code, which includes other developers. This tends to make to source safer, as people alert maintainers to security issues, and they generally get updated.

The advantage of custom plugins is that the code isn’t open for anyone to see. It can therefore be harder for crackers to find a way in. But you lose the open source aspect of other developers looking over the code and alerting you to potential security issues.

OK, with that said, you’ll probably avoid most of these issues if you update your site and plugins regularly, and take some basic steps to ‘harden’ your WP installation. There’s a basic guide on the WP site.

Hope this helps.

AGMBris
    • Total posts: 319
    Up

Hi

Good thinking I will look over these plug in references too.

Thanks

SmartBizBlog
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

My site only has about 6 plugins running and I use WP profiler to find DB heavy plugins and files and make changes to optimise them.

if you don’t have the luxury of being a PHP programmer; I guess you just need to be smart about what you turn on.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.