Home – New Forums Tech talk WordPress question: Domain Mapping and privace option

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up
    ::

I’m about to point the domains that I have already registered (about 5 last count – all .com.au) to my wordpress website/blog. WordPress gives you the option of making it private for another $8 per year per domain.

Aren’t the Australian domains private anyway? Is this a waste of money?

Thanks
    Jane

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up
    JaneB, post: 86482 wrote:
    I’m about to point the domains that I have already registered (about 5 last count – all .com.au) to my wordpress website/blog. WordPress gives you the option of making it private for another $8 per year per domain.

Thanks
    Jane

Here is the policy on .com.au WHOIS data. The basic whois information listed on that site can’t be hidden in accordance with that policy.

I’m not sure what WordPress.com is offering you – perhaps it only applies in the case of .com addresses? In any case, I wouldn’t worry about it, as the information that’s publicly available via whois on .com.au domains is relatively harmless (there’s no postal address or phone number).

Just make sure the email address you include is one that you want people to associate with that domain (it’s best to create one for each unique domain you own).

Cheers,
    John

Netorigin
    • Total posts: 421
    Up

Thanks
    Jane

Hello Jane,

Unfortunately on .com.au or .net.au domains, whois privacy/protection cannot be applied due to auDA’s regulations. I would’ve thought that WordPress only register gTLD domains.

Cheers,
    Shaun

Senath Pty Ltd
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Thanks
    Jane

Hi Jane,

Firstly are you blogs are hosted with wordpress.com? If you are then what you are trying to do is to point your australian domain name (DNS) to the wordpress hosted domain name. For example jane.au.com to jane.wordpress.com.

While you can do this without having to pay wordpress however when someone type in jane.au.com it will still show to the outsiders as jane.wordpress.com.

However what wordpress.com is offering you is to have your dns entry registered in their system so that your blog will be jane.com.au instead of jane.wordpress.com.

Hope my answer wasn’t too technical for you :-)

kindest regards,
    Kanchana

Explainafide
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Hi Jane,

If you’ve spent money on 5 domains you should get a small business hosting account for http://www.jane.com.au.

A wordpress website at http://www.jane.wordpress.com has so many limitations on it. Its perfect for really small personal sites but it is next to impossible to make the site grow as you want and you won’t be able to use many of the plug-ins that make wordpress awesome.

JaneB
    Up

Thanks for all of your responses and I appreciate the different points of view.

I did indeed want, and now have, a small informational site with easy CMS. My business- music – is not much more than a hobby and although it will probably expand (as it did in my last location) that was done by word of mouth and is all I can handle.

A whizz bang website with all the bells and whistles and plug-ins and support that I would need just to keep it operating and secure, is beyond the size of my business. If I ever had to ask anyone how to do anything with the website, BANG! goes my whole aim of having it totally within my control.

So…back to the domain mapping. It all worked out fine. I changed the name servers on the domains I had parked with Crazy Domains and VentraIP to the WP names. Then 48 hours later I mapped those domains to my WP blog so that the address looks like a normal website, and all the search terms point to this site.

The privacy option, once WP could see that they came from Australia, disappeared – which was interesting.

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

Hi Jane well done, sounds like a good solution. The good thing about wordpress is (unless this has changed) you can aways export it to a standalone site when / if the time comes

JaneB
    Up
    websitedesigner, post: 87341 wrote:
    Hi Jane well done, sounds like a good solution. The good thing about wordpress is (unless this has changed) you can aways export it to a standalone site when / if the time comes

Yes that’s what I understood so I hope it’s still the case if I need it. Thanks for all your help so far. You really set me on this path and what an interesting journey it’s been.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.