Home – New Forums Tech talk WordPress question

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #998540
    Greg_M
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    0
    ::

    If there’s a WordPress person passing by I have a question, re iFrames.

    I have client request to embed a Google form into a WordPress site and I’m a bit rusty on WordPress and trying to avoid too much time researching it (and I don’t have any WP stuff installed).

    I’ve made the assumption that seeing both the form and the site are SSL that dropping an iFrame into a (stand alone) page shouldn’t be an issue.

    I’ve done it in the past with Javascript embeds and it worked fine… any clues please.

    Cheers

    #1214673
    Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,386
    Up
    0
    ::
    Greg_M, post: 258543, member: 38207 wrote:
    If there’s a WordPress person passing by I have a question, re iFrames.

    I have client request to embed a Google form into a WordPress site and I’m a bit rusty on WordPress and trying to avoid too much time researching it (and I don’t have any WP stuff installed).

    I’ve made the assumption that seeing both the form and the site are SSL that dropping an iFrame into a (stand alone) page shouldn’t be an issue.

    I’ve done it in the past with Javascript embeds and it worked fine… any clues please.

    Cheers
    No a WP person who operates a WP site.

    I have previously used iframes with a HTML site and that worked ok.

    My question is, is there not a decently coded plugin that can handle what you want to achieve?

    Might be a completely bad question to ask I know so little but just a thought prompter.

    Cheers

    #1214674
    Greg_M
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    0
    ::
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 258547, member: 78928 wrote:
    No a WP person who operates a WP site.

    I have previously used iframes with a HTML site and that worked ok.

    My question is, is there not a decently coded plugin that can handle what you want to achieve?

    Might be a completely bad question to ask I know so little but just a thought prompter.

    Cheers

    Yeah, I’ve never had a real problem with an iFrame anywhere else and off the top of my head couldn’t see why there’d be one with WP…but no LAMP stack set up to install and try, and I don’t want to access the clients site just to test.

    There’s probably 2000 plugins that will do the actual data collection but to achieve what’s required the data needs to go straight into G Suite…bit of a variation on the theme we’re experimenting with on my own site…difference is clients got nearly 3000 fully qualified email addresses/clients that will be hitting it…too much work via a plugin I’m thinking. And for a number of reasons they don’t want to use something like Mailchimp (which they do use in another context)

    Cheers

    #1214675
    handmadewebsites.com.au
    Member
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    0
    ::

    You can drop the iFrame code directly into the “text” code field on a page or post and it will work perfectly.

    #1214676
    Greg_M
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    0
    ::
    handmadewebsites.com.au, post: 258554, member: 110685 wrote:
    You can drop the iFrame code directly into the “text” code field on a page or post and it will work perfectly.

    Thanks for that.

    Cheers

    #1214677
    Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,386
    Up
    0
    ::

    Thanks for joining us and providing a solution [USER=110685]@handmadewebsites.com.au[/USER] !

    #1214678
    indylogix
    Member
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    0
    ::
    handmadewebsites.com.au, post: 258554, member: 110685 wrote:
    You can drop the iFrame code directly into the “text” code field on a page or post and it will work perfectly.
    Thanks for prompt wonderful solutions. Why don’t I try before?

    It is working fine on one of my client’s website. Hope it will work fine in upcoming times too.

    #1214679
    Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    0
    ::

    Better solution would be to create a template for just that page and include the iframe code within the template. If the client can’t do that themselves it would take 5 minutes for a WordPress pro to do so.

    #1214680
    Greg_M
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    0
    ::
    Zava Design, post: 258589, member: 34615 wrote:
    Better solution would be to create a template for just that page and include the iframe code within the template. If the client can’t do that themselves it would take 5 minutes for a WordPress pro to do so.

    I’m assuming the advantage would be the ability to style/format the page independently of the the general run of named pages and manage it separately in admin?

    We’ll probably do the first one to make sure it’s doing the right thing in Drive…then on client may do similar themselves.

    Thanks for the tip.

    #1214681
    Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    0
    ::

    It’s more that HTML code should be left outside the editor where someone that knows nothing about HTML could mess it up by mistake.

    Really WordPress shouldn’t allow anything but text in its editor, hence why when I set up many client sites I hide the editor completely and use custom fields to limit what they can enter to avoid them potentially breaking the site.

    #1214682
    Greg_M
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    0
    ::

    “separation of concerns” wins me over every time, thanks.

    I’d also assume doing it the way you suggest that changing the iFrame to something else later would be easier…Client likely to do other data collection using the same process.

    #1214683
    Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    0
    ::

    If you do want them to be able to remove/change the iFrame as a non-html person, you could create a custom field just for the iframe code, and then run a check on the code to make sure it’s formatted correctly before displaying in the page. That way you give them that freedom, but remove the very real chance they could change something and break the site.

    Maybe the custom field only contains the URL of the iframe page, give them even less change of f***ing things up?

    #1214684
    Greg_M
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    0
    ::
    Zava Design, post: 258644, member: 34615 wrote:
    If you do want them to be able to remove/change the iFrame as a non-html person, you could create a custom field just for the iframe code, and then run a check on the code to make sure it’s formatted correctly before displaying in the page. That way you give them that freedom, but remove the very real chance they could change something and break the site.

    Maybe the custom field only contains the URL of the iframe page, give them even less change of f***ing things up?

    The more I looked at it, me thinks I’ll be doing it, not the client. I’ve realised the iFrames may vary in size. They come out of the box with fixed pixel widths and heights and will probably need some additional css to make them do the right thing in a responsive view.

    I’ll stick with your ideas otherwise, I reckon it makes sense to template it separately whether client can touch it or not. I reckon if i tell him touching it will cost more money, he’ll leave it alone.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.