Home – New Forums Tech talk WordPress tips

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    benjaminb
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I see people struggling with WordPress often so thought I would post a set of tips for those setting up WordPress on their own hosting. I’ll assume you have your own domain and hosting ready..

So, you’ve installed WordPress and want to have it optimized for SEO, here are my 2 cents:

1. Go to Settings, Permalinks, and change the structure to custom. Then type in the custom box %postname%
    This will allow Google to index and rank your pages more easily as they will come out as example.com/page1 instead of example.com/asd2342sdjkhs3

2. Go to plugins and search for and install “Google XML Sitemaps” -to help Google index all your pages well and quickly “All in one SEO pack” – to get the meta tags on all your pages “Akismet” – to stop those damn spammers! Another useful one, though not so important is “Redirection” which allows you to very easily set up 301 redirects and to check for bad links (404s) on your own site. You can configure them fairly easily once they are installed.

3. If you’re getting frustrated because when you visit the site it only shows the latest post, go to “Settings”, “Reading” and at the top you can change the default homepage to any page on your site.

4. In “Settings” again, make sure that within “Privacy” you have the blog visible to all otherwise Google will not look at it. (Unless you actually want it to be private of course..)

5. As far as themes go, you can go to “Appearance” and browse through some themes and select one of the free ones.

6. If you want to put Google Analytics on the site it’s very easy, go to “Widgets” within “Appearance” and drag a new text widget into your sidebar. Then copy the Analytics code you get from Google into that text box and save it. Done.

So there are some tips for WordPress users. I hope that you find them useful, and if you already knew them or they are very obvious I apologise!

Jill
    • Total posts: 102
    Up

Nice work Benjamin, I’m inceasingly recommending WordPress to clients so they can build their own websites, and be able to update as they wish etc. Good tips. My only tip off-hand, is that its very easy to take any images/buttons/graphics etc from the existing template theme and edit them, then overwrite the online version to change the entire look of the original WordPress theme you are using. Usually all of the graphics for the theme are in the WordPress/themes/themename/images folder. So if you love a particular theme, but the image/graphics arent appropriate for your website, just edit those images and you have a customised WordPress theme to suit you :)

benjaminb
    Up

Thanks Jill – that is a good tip too! I hadn’t thought of that one.

FionaFell
    • Total posts: 342
    Up

Thats a great set of tips, and some things in your list are already action steps in my development process for sites dirven by WordPress.

Sometimes this may be beyond the capability of the business owner, so they might want to pass this list on to their web developer to make sure they happen and do not disrupt the site. (The %postname% tip if not implimented befroe content is added may have some unhappy consquences if not gone quite right for the site in question.)

All over this is a great starting point for many new WordPress users.

marvelit
    • Total posts: 169
    Up

Ill second that.

These are good tips which I have done on my site a long long time ago and have helped me rank 1st page for some keyword groups.

There is so many good wordpress plugins, gotta love em :)

Jacob

markbecken09
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hey guys,
    Very excellent tips. It is so useful to me. I love to work in wordpress. Thanks for posting.

Cheers.

danrippon
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Great tips Benjamin, thank you. Worth noting that WordPress 2.9 has been released in the last few days, and on a fresh install it reverses the default setting that you mention in #4 (i.e. It now defaults to ‘find me’ rather than ‘don’t find me’.)

There are also some other nifty little updates, including embedding of video et al with just a URL, and image editing from within the WordPress console, there’s a video with these in more detail on the WordPress TV site

Cheers
    Dan

benjaminb
    Up

Interesting…I wonder how many private blogs will get caught out with the new version!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.