Home – New Forums Tech talk WordPress website or static html

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    AdvancedPetSitting
    • Total posts: 357
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

I have an idea for a new community website (probably a membership one) which may or may not have a blog. It will have mainly information on different topics and will sell information products such as e-books.
    Now I have been reading that wordpress is better for a number of reasons such as being indexed quicker, it’s easier to change content, etc.
    Just want to find out your opinions on that topic.

DreamscanbeVisions
    • Total posts: 284
    Up

My suggestion would be integrating wordpress with vBulletin board.
    …though it’s not as easy as it may seem & a heap of learning & hard work would need to be done if you’re just starting out. Is it worth though… yes!

As for SEO both of these would be the best, in my opinion.

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

Well a CMS such as WordPress is very helpful for people to be able to update their content yes, so does have an advantage of static html for people that wouldn’t know how to update the content otherwise.

Only disadvantages would be the initial cost to get the site done would be slightly higher as the site would need to be integrated within WordPress & the user may not be comfortable with updating WordPress as well when there are updates – though most updates are very simple to do with the click of a couple of buttons, it’s advised you make a backup of your files AND database in-case anything breaks, plugins stop working etc etc..

It’s also not a great idea to avoid updating the software either as a lot of the updates they do are security updates & not updating could put your site at risk.

Newleaf Exchange
    • Total posts: 95
    Up

Hi, we use WordPress and PHPvbb3. I really like WordPress and used the Sandbox version at wordpress.org to get use to it and try it. There are many themes you can use and are simple to download and activate.

With the forum, both programs (vBulletin and PhP) are good but it helps if you get someone to configure them up as you want because they are more complicated to modify. I have seen very basic and very good (Hi FS) applications of both and a good tradesman never blames his tools…:)

DavidThomas
    • Total posts: 265
    Up

I think it will come down to budget.

If your doing this yourself – then wordpress is user friendly and with some tinkering, it is quite easy to come up with a quality website, seo friendly with limitless plugins/themes.

If you do have a budget, what/if any platform your developer uses whether another cms/framework or pure html will be discussed as part of the negotiation process. Everything has its pro’s and cons.

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up
    Newleaf Exchange, post: 73478 wrote:
    I have seen very basic and very good (Hi FS) applications of both and a good tradesman never blames his tools…:)
    Thanks Peter! VB is great but as with all pre-built software systems can take some ongoing wrangling to try and get things to work/look just how you want them to. We’re still a work in progress.
    Also, I understand the new VB4 has lots more in-built community and content features. Haven’t looked into it in-depth but might be worth checking out Monika if you’re after one solution??
    Cheers
    Peter
    p4tricia
    • Total posts: 44
    Up

Hi Monika,

I agree with @DavidThomas. It comes down to budget. It also comes down to how technically savvy you are. If you are not technical at all, then you’ll need good money to get a good quality community/membership site.

If you are technically savvy, and want to do it yourself, then wordpress is a very good choice. It can be very fast to install a basic wordpress site, a good theme and a selection of plugins to build a good membership site.

When I say fast… I mean FAST! To give you an idea, early this month, it took me just 3 days to build http://anindo.net to where it is now. It’s a wordpress community site (with forum, restricted area and blog). The community plugins I used is called Mingle. It turns your wordpress website into a facebook-like community site.

Then you just treat it as a wordpress site when you post articles, install more plugins (e.g. SEO stuff), integrate twitter/facebook, analytics, customise, update theme, etc. You also benefit from all the benefits of wordpress other soloists have mentioned all over this forum.

Thanks,
    Pat

AdvancedPetSitting
    • Total posts: 357
    Up

Thanks guys for your replys. I am starting to lean towards a wordpress website, but will have to check prices on having one built for me.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.