Home Forums Wellbeing & balance Work-Life Balance: Is Branson right?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    GuestMember
    • Total posts: 318

Richard Branson: “I don’t think of work as work and play as play. It’s all living.”
    What do you think?

NathanDavidson
    • Total posts: 5

I believe that you need to love what you’re doing. And when you are working at something that you have a passion for, it no longer becomes work. You just really need to put yourself into a situation that you can enjoy and the results should speak for itself!

GuestMember
    • Total posts: 318

Interesting thoughts Nathan. That’s the ideal. I’ve certainly been at play, such as gardening, and felt like it’s work. I’ve also been enjoying work, e.g., writing or sharing on social media, and it’s felt like play.

The one thing I think some folk forget about Richard Branson, though, is that he’s in a privileged position where he largely chooses his tasks, delegates at will and has a lot available to him in terms of play.

Realistically, although I’m passionate about Trade Secrets as a whole, and it’s contribution to the world, I do still find some tasks tedious and I’m not passionate about them. For example, I’d rather be out walking than dealing with a faulty WordPress plugin. I’d hire developers to do this job who are passionate about it if I could because, to me, it’s just functional. There’s achievement in solving it, or doing a bit of code, but only because I have to and I saved money (at a time cost). We’re bootstrapping and I can’t realistically enjoy everything about my business until we have more staff and the ability to outsource.

So I find “Follow your passion” and “Work and play are both life” good abbreviated ideals to aspire to, largely true – especially at a holistic level, and yet under closer scrutiny, it’s somehow idealistic and unattainable much of the time.

That’s my thoughts! Thanks for sharing. I look forward to further thoughts or anyone else’s thoughts and experiences.

Kelly Exeter FS Editor
    • Total posts: 241

I definitely subscribe to the theory of ‘work-life blend’ these days. Work isn’t life … but a large part of my life is work that I love. So long as we are creating space in our days for ourselves and our families and the other things that matter to us … long may work and life blend :)

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485

Spot on statement, it has nothing to do with his position of privilege.

Living – Having life, being alive, not dead.

Even if we Work all day or play all day, in the context of that meaning of living, we are definitely living.

IanMac
    • Total posts: 6

I’ve never liked the term “work-life balance” it should just simply be “life balance”

Ian McCarthy

The Financial Architect
    http://www.thefinarc.com

Gizmo
    • Total posts: 731

I think we should all aim to do reach this

All of life is play
    And don’t forget to share a smile each day
    — Gizmo life tip #1
    :)

NathanDavidson
    • Total posts: 5

Hmm, I foresee that you might need to start looking at hiring a part timer to handle all these issues if you find that it’s eating into your productivity. If you are supporting enough websites, the money you earn from them should justify some extra help!

Sonja Meyer
    • Total posts: 50

This makes me think of the more collectivist cultures (like many Asian cultures) where they live with a different type of ‘time orientation’ than us in the Western World (individualist culture).

They believe more in having your personal life and work life more intertwined and typically work longer hours or more days of the week than we do, although in a more relaxed, leisurely fashion (think of how things seem to work in Bali or Thailand for example and how frustrating the slow pace can be as a first time Western visitor).

These cultures don’t really have the ‘time is money’ concept like we do, and honestly I’m starting to value this thinking a lot more over the years.

We live in a world where our personal lives are traditionally completely separate from our work lives, but we suffer from much higher levels of anxiety and depression. So I wonder if we should take some lessons from our Asian neighbours and combine work and play a little bit more, as well as bring down the barriers of structure just a tiny little bit to create a bit more flexibility and freedom. Food for thought.

martin.firth
    • Total posts: 259
    GuestMember, post: 222758, member: 54653 wrote:
    I’ve also been enjoying work, e.g., writing or sharing on social media, and it’s felt like play.

Ever considered a job in copywriting?

cloud9business
    • Total posts: 64

I really like your approach Sonja and it’s pretty much how I work and do life. I usually start my day around 5am and finish at 9pm or 10pm. But, on the way through I’m spending time with my wife and children (5 of them), going for walks, stopping to read, going for a swim, home-schooling our younger children, watching a movie and other life stuff. The main thing I try to do is to be 100% present with whatever I’m doing at the time, whether that is work or family. This has become much easier since I stopped trying to multi-task and force myself to do one ting at a time.

There is one problem I have with the “work is play” paradigm. I may be passionate about my work, enjoy it, easily do it 18 hours a day and be completely happy, satisfied and fulfilled. But, what about those around me, my spouse, my children, my friends. I may be happy but am I completely wrapped up in my own dreams and goals? Or, am I making sure that I’m treating the important people in my life as – important.

Johny
    • Total posts: 840

“These cultures don’t really have the ‘time is money’ concept like we do, and honestly I’m starting to value this thinking a lot more over the years.”

Oh yes they do. It is just more along the lines of ” the boss makes all the money, and we put in all the time” concept.

Brendo85
    • Total posts: 25

I’ve always seen it as a beautiful thing when i travel to another country and I’m sitting at a beach restaurant, usually consisting of a couple of plastic chairs, a tarpaulin, an esky and a bbq and the owners are there doing a bit of cooking and serving in between playing with their kids. They might be poor by our standards but they seem richer in many other ways. And its as if some people look at them and think “omg these poor people we need to give them sky scrapers, 6 lane freeways and a whole bunch of pointless crap to worry about”. Nah.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.