Home – New Forums Starting your journey Working from Garage?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Xec
    • Total posts: 11
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone,

I’m in the process of starting a new business (Clothing). I started selling on eBay and results are good. It is a niche market in clothing and there are very few competitors.

I am also planning to setup a retail outlet but I wanted to run a trial first, from home.

I am planning to do it from the garage and drive customers through social media. I already have many customer who are demanding to look at my stock.

The only concern is that the council has asked me to submit development application because of the customers coming in the residential area.

I have no clue how to do that. Can anybody point me the right direction? How to prepare the development application? Maybe some links, samples, guides etc. Has anyone done this before?

I live in Blacktown area in Western Sydney.

Thanks in advance.

help4bis.com
    • Total posts: 268
    Up
    Xec, post: 203590 wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

The only concern is that the council has asked me to submit development application because of the customers coming in the residential area.

I have no clue how to do that. Can anybody point me the right direction? How to prepare the development application? Maybe some links, samples, guides etc. Has anyone done this before?

I live in Blacktown area in Western Sydney.

Thanks in advance.
    I think that will become very very pricy and very long process. Being residential it needs to rezoned to commercial, if you want to turn your garage into a shop.

HOWEVER… there is nothing to say that you have “Tupperware parties”……. that might actually sell you some stuff…… hint hint wink wink

Why not do a market stall instead?
    Attend local markets, insurance is around 500 bucks per year, you can invite your customers to come and visit you there.

Just a thought.
    H

help4bis.com
    • Total posts: 268
    Up
    Severelylost, post: 203603 wrote:
    I also often think about having a proper studio space in my own similar to this crafter’s. I was aware that you’d probably need special permits for offering home-based workshops, but didn’t realise you’d need it for a studio space. I’ll have to keep this in mind for the future.

We are not talking about a studio I believe, I think the idea was to have a shop type setup.

Studio might have different regulations which are different per state or council I guess.

Generally if it is residential…. turning a house into a shop might be tricky. Not sure if the same applies for office or studio.There are enough artists that work from home I guess.

I think (and I could be wrong) that it has something to do with additional traffic as in walkings, parking etc. But most of all your neighbours… you can’t pick them I guess if one complains you are in for a whole set of new issues.

I just tried to provide options, and give the OP something to think about.

It is easy to make money…. it is harder to keep it :-).

H

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up

How about doing weekends at a local market somewhere, and advertising the location/dates to your customers? I’ve seen some very stylishly set up clothing “stalls” in markets over the years.

joeljp
    • Total posts: 61
    Up

Depending on how many customers you’re expected through the doors each day. If it’s a small number, I’d do it on the quiet and just make sure that you customer make an appointment to see you. This way, it will look like friends visiting you and neighbours won’t complain. The main thing is not to upset your neighbours then they won’t alert council of your business.

However, if you’re expecting a large number through, I’d go and rent a shop on a very short term lease, more casual like arrangement. Some landlord will be happy to have their premises rented on short term while waiting for the right tenant to come along.

Cheers, JJ

Xec
    Up
    help4bis.com, post: 203594 wrote:
    I think that will become very very pricy and very long process. Being residential it needs to rezoned to commercial, if you want to turn your garage into a shop.

Any idea how much it might end up costing?

HOWEVER… there is nothing to say that you have “Tupperware parties”……. that might actually sell you some stuff…… hint hint wink wink

Tupperware parties?? I’m not sure what you mean.

Xec
    Up
    help4bis.com, post: 203605 wrote:
    I think (and I could be wrong) that it has something to do with additional traffic as in walkings, parking etc. But most of all your neighbours… you can’t pick them I guess if one complains you are in for a whole set of new issues.

Yeah I called my local council and checked on their website. I had to speak with the planner and he specifically asked if customers will be coming in or not? If yes, I will have to submit a DA.

It definitely is related to traffic, parking etc.

Xec
    Up
    joeljp, post: 203622 wrote:
    I’d go and rent a shop on a very short term lease, more casual like arrangement. Some landlord will be happy to have their premises rented on short term while waiting for the right tenant to come along.

I might have to do that.

Clearly Creative
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

Do shopping centers allow their empty spaces to be used as short term pop up shops with unfixed signage or no signage?

I know I have seen this quite a few times, alternatively you could get a stall in the center isle of a shopping center, nothing permanent but displaying your clothes to a high level of foot traffic.

Or find an empty shop that isn’t in a shopping center, contact the owner/real estate agent and see if you can set up a temporary pop up shop there.

Make sure every purchase goes away with a business card, flyer or mini booklet/catalogue of your line with contact details such as facebook/website/email/phone number by popping them in the bags and you could be creating future sales right there.

I have never looked into the costs involved here but it may be better than what the council is asking you to do and then you can drive traffic there through your Facebook page as well as pick up the foot traffic customers as well.

Xec
    Up
    Clearly Creative, post: 203740 wrote:
    I know I have seen this quite a few times, alternatively you could get a stall in the center isle of a shopping center, nothing permanent but displaying your clothes to a high level of foot traffic.

The kind of niche I’m dealing with, it doesn’t work well in shopping centres because it doesn’t appeal to wide variety of people.

Or find an empty shop that isn’t in a shopping center, contact the owner/real estate agent and see if you can set up a temporary pop up shop there.

Yeah great advice. Will definitely try that.

I have never looked into the costs involved here but it may be better than what the council is asking you to do and then you can drive traffic there through your Facebook page as well as pick up the foot traffic customers as well.

Well the fee for DA was quoted $287 but I don’t know if there are any additional costs involved. It would be nice if someone in the forums had dealt with this before.

OzLasers
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

I’ve attended a few Markets in my day, and all I know, is that Market stalls and niche clothing go together like cold beer and Sunday afternoons.

Not only that, I would feel substantially more confident pulling my wallet out at the markets than I would in your dark shed.

Either way, good luck and I look forward to hearing about how it goes!

Nick the Startup guy
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

I’m setting up a co-working space for grass roots startups – albeit for businesses that would otherwise only be able to trade out of their garage.

Unlike most other coworking spaces, The Startup Studio has a shopfront on busy Canterbury Road in Canterbury.

If you’re looking for a space to work while offering people a place to come and view your fashion items, then drop me a line.

Nick

Gizmo
    • Total posts: 731
    Up

Hello,

I think what you need to do all boils down to how much “traffic” you expect.

As mentioned above if its a 2-5 people a day spaced apart I do not think there would be an issue, I don’t see how thats any different to a social person having visitors.

If you are getting several people at the same time then, road traffic and parking become an issue and can upset neighbours.

I would start on the quiet see how demand goes and when the volume get to levels that could be an issue, then you are also hopefully at a stage you can shell out for a retail location.

Xec
    Up
    Nick the Startup guy, post: 204101 wrote:
    If you’re looking for a space to work while offering people a place to come and view your fashion items, then drop me a line.

Nick

I really appreciate your offer. We are quite far from that area and it wouldn’t be practical to setup a shop there. Plus I have a day job which makes it really difficult to travel that far.

However if circumstances change I will be in touch.

Thanks anyway.

Xec
    Up
    Gizmo, post: 204134 wrote:
    I would start on the quiet see how demand goes and when the volume get to levels that could be an issue, then you are also hopefully at a stage you can shell out for a retail location.

I just wanted to be on the safe side and have the approval from council first. So I called them and discussed this. I had to give my address 😮 which wasn’t a very good idea I think.

I don’t think I can do it on the quiet now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.