Home – New Forums Get productive Working from home after 20yrs in showrooms, advice ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    the blind man
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

I’ve just handed back the keys to our shop, been 4yrs in this one and 20yrs in total of working from showrooms(blinds, awnings and shutters.)

Why ? Couple of reasons, one, staff, just could not get any decent staff that valued their own job and took it as a “just job, do the hours, take the cash” approach and as such, never done anything positive to maintain their position and constantly stressed me out, not turning up, late, didnt look after customers etc).

reason 2, operating costs, about $4000 per month(about $10,000 of sales to pay for it).

reason 3, time for myself, I was working 60+hrs a week, not interested in that anymore.

my worry now is , I am feeling a bit lost as to how I work from home in the same manner, what do I tell my customers who ask about a showroom ?

How do i market myself as a home based business ?

I done a little research into how and where my customers were coming from and 80% were phone calls from net and fliers etc in my showroom area(caboolture and morayfield) but I live in Kawana waters area and wanted to develop work closer to home also.

any advice appreciated on how to go about new business and dealing with guilty questions (why i colsed shop etc).

http://www.wholesaleblindcompany.com.au

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

A friend of mine (in a totally different area and different state to you), did the same and closed his shop. He now has a mobile van and calls it his mobile showroom. He just tells people that customers preferred him to show samples at their homes or work, so it was easier to have a mobile showroom. That would be the same for you?

If you don’t want any correspondence coming to your home address, then get a postal address (post office box) for correspondence, invoicing etc. Obviously deliveries would still have to come to your Workshop at home.

Hope that gives you some ideas. Cheers.

angelarodgers
    • Total posts: 180
    Up

Yes to what Karen said! Put a spin on it that you are going mobile to save customers time and effort. Also you could take the “saving money on operating costs and passing savings on to customers” approach.

If you have an existing database set up for email marketing, what I would do in your position is send out an email letting them know that you are switching to a mobile business, and perhaps also promote some kind of special offer to celebrate. If you have social media pages, make sure you post the same message on there as well.

Working from home will be the future for so many small businesses, I believe! It’s often a smarter and more economical way to do things. :-). Great move!

the blind man
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Most of my enquiries wee phone calls anyway but this week, I’ve had 3 people ask where my showroom is ? God damn it, :D (had been there for 5yrs almost)

Thing is, the showroom was tucked away on the Main Street beside a huge Nissan dealer, so if you didn’t look hard you’d miss it anyway.

I carry an iPad with thousands of photos, all my own work anyway, just seems really weird waiting for work to come in.

I’ve done some google Adwords stuff but not sure how much of a waste of cash that is (still sceptical) .

I am looking for a letterbox flier distributor (not bulk packet mail, found that useless) on the sunny coast, we had a great response from that in Caboolture area.

Feels weird at home used to being put 12hrs a day, now I am home most of that, which is kinda what I wanted I suppose.

dlmmarketing
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

I do a lot of work from my home office, what I find the most challenging is separating work life from home life. I find that I’m still working at midnight most days weekends included. I may be different but I feel guilty when I’m not doing work so you can get in a trap. The idea suggested by Karen is good if that is something your business could adapt to.

So basically my advice is make sure you can separate work from home life.

doggyguinness
    Participant
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Hardest part working from home is remembering to put pants on in the morning.

I think setting up a van as a mobile service is way better. I’d personally prefer someone that comes to me and I can see samples directly on the window/door opening.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.