Home – New Forums Starting your journey Working from home not really working – help!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Harmony Steel
    • Total posts: 19
    Up
    ::

Hi fellow soloists,

I’ve been running my web design and development business for close to 2 years and have always worked from home.

We’ve just moved into our first home (yay!) with one awful downside – it’s only 2 bedroom, both are tiny, and I’m now sharing my home office with my dear hubby (a “messy”, I’m a “neat”) and various bits of furniture that just won’t fit anywhere else. The result is a very crowded little room I don’t enjoy working in and have trouble being productive in.

I would actually really love to work out of the house as I have trouble switching off but I can’t find any decent office space with internet access for less than $150 a week (I live in Longford, near Launceston in Tassie) and realistically I can’t afford that right now.

I’m stumped and would really really appreciate your advice. Do you know of other options I could pursue to do my work away from home (without resorting to Starbucks since all my work requires a desktop PC)? Really all I need to find is a desk for rent in an existing office with internet access so I can get out of the house to work each day and also be around other people.

A huge thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Harmony

Farid Zaki
    • Total posts: 110
    Up

Dear Harmony,

Did you try calling your local Business Enterprise Centre (BEC):
    http://www.becaustralia.org.au/
    or
    your local Chamber of Commerce: http://www.lcc.asn.au/

Hope that helps

abacus
    • Total posts: 174
    Up

Maybe try “letterbox dropping” local businesses?
    Escpecially if you are willing to pay some $$ :)

Think outside the square too. What about in an industrial estate where
    they might not actually be using the office space in a factory unit.

Another option is to see if there is a home- owner who has a garage to rent??

MJS_Virtual
    • Total posts: 82
    Up

Hi Harmony,

Have you considered using serviced offices, like the City Mill Business Centre in York St?

Melissa Williscroft
    MJS Virtual Business Support
    http://www.mjsvirtual.com.au

akagrp
    • Total posts: 315
    Up

Hello

I know this is out there, but have you considered renovating the garage, I had a client a fee years back, in the fashion industry she didn’t have a garage but was lucky to source a garage she rented for $50 a week, gave it a paint job, through down a rug and some lighting and it become a trendy NY loft style office.

She was lucky that the garage had great natural lighting.

Ask around your local if anyone has a garage or even a granny flat happy to rent out, with internet can you go wireless?

Another option may be to see if you can share space with a group of other creatives – and share the weekly costs

try http://www.gumtree.com.au for shared space
    All the best

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Can you get rid of the husband? That would free up a bit of space perhaps?

– Jake

Leisa D
    • Total posts: 563
    Up
    Emroy, post: 37261 wrote:
    Can you get rid of the husband? That would free up a bit of space perhaps?

– Jake

He he, that IS the simplest option.

YoungNomad
    • Total posts: 116
    Up

I was in EXACTLY the same position as you a few years back – we started our real estate agency from home – bedroom 2 and 3 were our “offices”, until it got too much (no separation between work and home).

We renovated our double garage – cost around 15k, which included everything … absolutely gorgeous.

We only worked from there for 3 months, as the business grew quite rapidly, but it was an awesome expansion for us.

I know fair dinkum sheds have pre-fabricated garages for around 20k (if you dont have an existing garage), and I’m pretty sure the build / renovation costs will be a tax write off.

It may not seem “profitable” to go down this route, but I can guarantee the returns on your ability to focus on work will far outweigh the initial expense.

WAHM
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

Get rid of the hubby what a crack up

I was also going to suggest the BEC Centre or a serviced office?

• Total posts: 151
    Up

Outside of the box

If you have a solid cash flow history you could consider this;

You are prepared to pay up to $150 per week for your office/workspace so how about moving house and adding the $150 to your current rent. This will enable you to secure a larger bedroom house, possibly with an office already and solve several problems at once.

I am suprised that you said you need a desktop to do your work; i find laptops today to have equal function as desktops.

The advice of a good serviced office is great way for a home based business to move up in the commercial world.

Harmony Steel
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Thanks very much for the replies, I knew you lovely people would have some great ideas I hadn’t though of yet! Much appreciated.

I’ve now contacted my local BEC, put an ad in the local paper and on Gumtree.

I’d love to make use of the serviced offices in Launceston but they’re currently a bit out of my price range, but they definitely make for a good carrot.

Hehe unfortunately removing said husband from the office is not an option but I like your thinking ;) Seriously though he’s a treasure and I don’t mind sharing the space with him but it really is too small for 2 people.

Re the renovated garage I love the idea of a proper separation of home from work and I’m suitably envious of you YoungNomad :) I’m going to look into that option as we need to put up a garage and a few extra K may get me an external home office into the bargain. Thanks for the great idea.

Excellent logic Paul, thanks heaps, I’ve no desire to move house again so soon (I hate packing) but the extra rent could apply to garage repayments as easily. Re the desktop computer I’m a web designer so I have two 24″ monitors set up side-by-side to do my work, and my PC has a lot of grunt. I couldn’t get the same monitor functionality with a laptop, and I’d be looking at 5K+ to get a system with the same specs as my PC which I need for running multiple memory-hogging applications at once. I do have a little laptop but it’s really only good for checking emails and doing research.

Thanks again guys for your fantastic ideas! I will let you know how I go :)

Harmony

Tracey Anne
    • Total posts: 82
    Up

BEC was my first thought, but if your backyard is big enough (and you have access to get one in) you might also want to consider a shipping container. Sounds yuck, but I have heard of many people utilising these with great results. Cheap, just the right size for a functioning office and with a bit of imagination and some elbow-grease (along with power and phone) I bet it could be made to look great too.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Harmony,

If you’re considering the garage/backyard studio idea, you might be interested in this article Peter wrote a few months back – there are dozens and dozens of comments where people have shared their own tips and experiences.

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/p304181286_Backyard-studios-Do-they-work-for-work.html

All the best,
    Jayne

Pitch
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Hi, I know I’m only new but I read this thread yesterday and this morning when I woke up I had an idea. Every time i buy the parenting magazine there is always advertising about installing an attic. I thought that would be a great idea for some space. I don’t know how it would go, and of course this time that I have the mag its not in there, but maybe thats something to look into.
    Good luck.

Business Vision Solutions
    • Total posts: 30
    Up

The converted garage is the way to go. You get a definite work space that you can walk away from when you need the break and as a bonus you add a bit of value to your new house. Stick a shade sail up on your driveway to cover the car if you want.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.