Home – New Forums Starting your journey Working on TFN and opening e-business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Etched Cards
    • Total posts: 21
    Up
    ::

Hello.
    Im a student in australia on a student visa. I am working 20 hours a week on my TFN and i am not allowed to work more per week. Now i have an idea for an internet store (i would order stuff, stock it in my house and send it via post). I know i need an ABN but my main question is about working hours. Can i still be working for TFN and ABN at the same time? If so how the whole 20 working hours thing would work? I wont quit my main job and would be still working 20 hours there but does having and managing internet store counts and adds aditional working hours? How the goverment would know how many hours i spend managing my store because in theory it can be as little as 5 minutes? Im really new to this and have no idea how the whole thing works.

Thank you.

MajorVenuePromotions
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

in theory someone else could be running your business for you but using your abn so there should be no real implications there, however do check the legalities of running a business in australia under your visa as I believe this is only allowing you to work for australian businesses

MajorVenuePromotions
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

in theory someone else could be running your business for you but using your abn so there should be no real implications there, however do check the legalities of running a business in australia under your visa as I believe this is only allowing you to work for australian businesses

DanielM
    • Total posts: 241
    Up

Are you referring to an ebay type business? How do you plan to drive customers to your new website? I would think that it should not matter but I would always check local law just to be safe.

Daniel

DanielM
    • Total posts: 241
    Up

Are you referring to an ebay type business? How do you plan to drive customers to your new website? I would think that it should not matter but I would always check local law just to be safe.

Daniel

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Paul LK,

Welcome to Flying Solo :)

This help might contain some helpful info for you: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/starting-business/12007-abn-student-visa.html

All the best,
    Jayne

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Paul LK,

Welcome to Flying Solo :)

This help might contain some helpful info for you: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/starting-business/12007-abn-student-visa.html

All the best,
    Jayne

Alan Maddick
    • Total posts: 410
    Up

The other thread sums it up well, i would be looking at forming a company if you are serious about your business over here as it is a structure that will still work if you return OS.

You still need to stay under 20hrs but a company is easier to show as a separate entity to you. As a non resident you need either a resident director to assist with the company or an Australian Accountant willing to act as ASIC nominee for your company (like us)

There are costs to this option but as I said if you are serious then it is something to discuss with your adviser.

Alan Maddick
    • Total posts: 410
    Up

The other thread sums it up well, i would be looking at forming a company if you are serious about your business over here as it is a structure that will still work if you return OS.

You still need to stay under 20hrs but a company is easier to show as a separate entity to you. As a non resident you need either a resident director to assist with the company or an Australian Accountant willing to act as ASIC nominee for your company (like us)

There are costs to this option but as I said if you are serious then it is something to discuss with your adviser.

Etched Cards
    Up
    SmallBusinessWorks, post: 112528 wrote:

Can you give more information about company nominee and how the whole thing works? If i already work 20 hours does that mean that by the time i create abn and start working on it i need to quit the old job?

thank you.

Etched Cards
    Up
    SmallBusinessWorks, post: 112528 wrote:

Can you give more information about company nominee and how the whole thing works? If i already work 20 hours does that mean that by the time i create abn and start working on it i need to quit the old job?

thank you.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.