Home – New Forums Get productive Working to the limit…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up
    ::

So I achieve Business success… I mean… my business is booming to a point I have to say no to customers.
    My wife can quit working if she wants (she only works now 3 days per week) and I can more or less afford any new toy that I want…

But the problem is: I work LIKE A PIG…

(Ask Jake… I’m always online)

It seems my only “relax time” is with my kids… but being 1 and 4… is more like a marathon than any “relax”.

Any tips and ideas about what to do to “recover yourself”

I’m considering Yoga… lol… it makes me laugh to write that I’m considering Yoga..
    Or even… mm Gold (?) I’m only 33 isn’t golf for old people?

:D Suggestions… ? how to balance the solo life with family and real life…

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up

I can relate to your situation. My circumstances are very similar to yours except my wife doesn’t work and my kids are 3 and 5. I go through patches where all I feel like I am doing is working and lately that feeling has been with me a lot (its the end of the financial year and us bookkeepers are flat out).

My relaxation time is watching motorsport. I am a big drag racing fan and have a routine now where myself and a few mates go to each major meeting and spend all day there from the beginning of the day to the end. It only comes around every 2 months or thereabouts so its not like it happens every day. Those days are great for me as it gives me time to just sit and relax for a full day, I get to catch up with mates (who I only see at these events) and I can’t do any work there even if I wanted to because the conditions make it impossible.

My other passion is mountain biking (something I have not been able to do for the last few years since I started the business). Being out in the bush is so peaceful and that feeling of being free from the hussle and bustle of life is very refreshing. And it helps keep the fitness up (or tries to in my case).

I need that full day every now and again. An hour here or there is not enough for me. An hour or even 2 is just enough time to get used to the time by yourself and nothing more. You don’t get time to enjoy it.

AnaLucia
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

You need a hoobie!!!
    Its so important to have time for yourself! Even better when you can do something that is healthy at the same time. Go on, try Yoga and if you don’t like it… why don’t you try BOX, its really relaxing, you are focusing in punching and you are burning so much calories!

For me dancing is what relaxes me, it is a Shame that here in Australia there are not as many Dancing courses as back in my second home, however I get to have a couple a week! My business partner does squash with the Boys on Wednesdays nights, and he absolutely loves it and looks forward to it.

So go for it! And let us know how do you go!

YoungNomad
    • Total posts: 116
    Up

A dilemma I faced for 4 years while setting up, and then watching my business grow massively every quarter.

I’m now “semi” retired – in that the business is self sufficient on a day-to-day basis, whilst I spend my time business planning and improving systems etc.

Have just spent a month in Thailand holidaying, back in Aus for 2 months, then away for another 3 months.

I guess this doesn’t really answer your question – but my point is this;

I had this plan in the forefront of my mind since company inception. I refused to be one of those old dog businessmen who work their fingers to the bone until I’m 60. I wanted to create a “clever” company, one which I could easily manage off site and employ high quality staff to manage in my absence.

It’s not easy (I pay over $320,000 PA on wages alone), but it is doable.

I also filled my life with the shiny toys (Ferrari at 29, nice house, anything I wanted really). What I found with this path is it gave me a very self serving sense of entitlement … which isn’t healthy at all. You end up focussing all your passion and energy on the business, and to me this caused me to lose touch with the inner “me”, and also caused me to forsake my relationships to an extent.

Luckily enough, I have very long serving friends, who have supported me … but it’s easy for me to envisage them having walked away.

Trust me – no amount of toys or rewards will be enough. Each reward loses its luster after a relatively short amount of time, and you’ll be back searching for that “thing” which makes you feel at peace and rewarded.

I’m now at the stage where I will continue business, but I will be using a fairly large percentage of the proceeds for charity work – next plan is to set up an orphanage + food distribution center in India – hopefully this works, but I’ll keep you updated.

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up

Gosh… thanks guys

I know what you mean…. the strange thing is that before I was involved in SEO… I was a scuba diving instructor… I was loving it.. but the wage was miserable… so concern about not making money and with 1 baby on the way… I build one site… to see if I could make a business from “the internet”.

300 sites later I do this for a living.

Mmm may be I can go back to scuba diving… but may be just teach for free…

Analucia: Regarding Dancing classes… mmmm I was born in South America, is in my DNA ;

youngNomad; Thailand seems amazing… funny wise I used to live there . Thanks for your tips. I think the long term business plan is a good idea. Not Ferrari yet… I don’t think Ferraris are a great idea living in country NSW

Dardee: thanks for posting your comment. If you have kids , you understand the need of LEAVING THE HOUSE to do boys things… lol… I guess I need to find something to do that my Nurse-wife, doesn’t consider a death wish…
    so… no motorbikes , no drag racing either… or trips to Thailand by myself ;)

thanks to all… now. … back to work ! lol

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

Why don’t you just stop and put your price up? Less work at higher pay is smarter isn’t it?

The issue becomes that a knowledge based role working on rapidly changing transient information requires a certain amount of hours of unpaid investment. Not doing the long hours diminishes the returns on that investment….but if thats the case you then have to evaluate weather you’re job stinks or not…. There’s a pretty certain chance that it does if you can’t put your prices up.

I’m not psychologist, but my observation is that, a lot of people (workaholics) derive their self worth from the quality of the work they produce. It is that which drives them, not money.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Been there done that, but unfortunately I didnt find the happy medium between work and life, for to me work was life.

Even after 52 years still like work, and find life rather boring.

Put your prices up and be prepared for an increase in business .
    I did that a few years ago actually doubled my price to find I recieved more work thatn before.

Being a soloist / self employed or running a small business being able to do things with the kids was important to me and I was able to attend school events that other dads missed out on. So you have pluses and minuses to me thats balanced.

All i can say Ive had a fantastic life …………..working

When Im not working I get bored very easily……no challenge.

melbstrip
    • Total posts: 114
    Up

When I first started XXXTC I felt compelled to have the phone ON every waking minute. I was terrified if I didn’t I would lose out on bookings. And the whole time the phone was ON, I was on edge just waiting for an enquiry to come in. If I didn’t spend all my time every day doing something for the business I felt guilty, that I was letting myself down. There was no work/life balance at all.

Thankfully I came to my senses. I instigated a plan to approach the business like “going to work”: What are my business hours? What time frame is most popular for clients making contact? That sort of thing. I also determined I needed to have at least one day a week completely to myself.

So now the business phone is only ON for set hours each day, and I can comfortably settle down to watch a movie without disruption at the end of the day if I choose. After all the girls check-in on Saturday night, the phone is turned off, and not switched on until Monday.

I’ve also decided to close the doors for two weeks over Christmas/New Year, as this is a really quiet time. Good chance for me to have a guilt-free break.

Can’t say I never work outside the hours I’ve set, but having “set” hours helps keep me on track.

Tracey Baird
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

Hi Jed,

I’m not sure how cramming yoga into your hectic work week is going to help you feel less overworked! This is a really common problem for small business owners particularly when you are selling your own time. It’s a bit of a cliche but what about working smarter – not harder?

We coach business owners on how to get out of this exact situation and get their businesses working for them rather than working for your business. I’ve had a chat to our head coach, Andy and he is keen to help you answer this question so you can achieve more balance in your life. The only question he had was would you prefer his answer as an online video or a complimentary phone coaching session?

Let me know what suits you.
    Tracey

mexham
    • Total posts: 302
    Up

For solo business owners, I think this issue is always relevant, and perhaps this should be a category that you add to your business plan. How am I going to fit my life into my business or just create a fair balance?

We all get into our own businesses for varying reasons, and maybe we forget that reason somewhere along the way as we drive ourselves too hard.

Maybe try setting some personal goals, so your full focus isn’t just on working on your business. Matt Cutts from google has this 30 day challenge thing he does, where he tries to do something new for 30 days. Such as learning a new skill or language, no replying to emails after a certain time etc. Something like that could be fun. http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/

What about setting some exit plans for your businesses/websites also? Can you sell some off, strip things back to the core and get a better balance.

Try golf, if you want to spoil a good walk!

Do you work from home? Get a dog! That’ll force you to take some time outta work. A couple of hour walks a day, just you and your dog is a great way to relax, keep active and think things over. Also gives you more reason to head out on the weekend to beaches, rivers, bush walks etc with the whole family.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.