Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Would like some feedback on my new website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    T j Turner
    • Total posts: 240
    Up
    ::

I have almost finished working on my new website and would like some feedback on it. Here is the link to the site http://www.handcraftsupplies.com.au/store/

Thanks

Tanja

nitro-it
    Participant
    • Total posts: 77
    Up

Hi Tanja,

It looks like your typical run of the mill free Zen Cart template.

I personally dont like the brown background of the box titles, i.e. Categories, New Products etc which at first glance appears to look somewhat transparent until you realise the pattern is different from the background of the site.

As a default ZC install there is a lot of unneccesary stuff such as Currencies and Languages sideboxes which really don’t need to be there and only serve to clutter the site up more. Duplicate Search boxes etc. These are easy to remove in the Admin.

There are quite a few typos on the site that should be corrected.

Also, for better security you should rename your admin folder.

The How to Order section has me a little confused. Most online stores will process an order in one hit, however from this page it seems like you are getting in touch with the purchaser after the order has been placed to provide them with a shipping fee which they then make payment on. Why not make the shipping calculation part of the checkout to streamline the whole ordering process? ZC has many different shipping modules such as shipping amount per item, or shipping amount based on weight, or flat fee shipping etc. The ZC sites I’ve setup in the past have all used flat rate shipping with free shipping options once the order total reaches a certain amount.

Hope that helps

T j Turner
    Up
    nitro-it, post: 81699 wrote:
    Hi Tanja,

It looks like your typical run of the mill free Zen Cart template.

I personally dont like the brown background of the box titles, i.e. Categories, New Products etc which at first glance appears to look somewhat transparent until you realise the pattern is different from the background of the site.

As a default ZC install there is a lot of unneccesary stuff such as Currencies and Languages sideboxes which really don’t need to be there and only serve to clutter the site up more. Duplicate Search boxes etc. These are easy to remove in the Admin.

There are quite a few typos on the site that should be corrected.

Also, for better security you should rename your admin folder.

The How to Order section has me a little confused. Most online stores will process an order in one hit, however from this page it seems like you are getting in touch with the purchaser after the order has been placed to provide them with a shipping fee which they then make payment on. Why not make the shipping calculation part of the checkout to streamline the whole ordering process? ZC has many different shipping modules such as shipping amount per item, or shipping amount based on weight, or flat fee shipping etc. The ZC sites I’ve setup in the past have all used flat rate shipping with free shipping options once the order total reaches a certain amount.

Hope that helps

yes it does help. I am trying to work out if I should have a set amount for postage as some of my items can be posted for under $1.00 and some will be over. But I can’t afford to do free postage on my items

I do all my Tax Invocices through a program called MYOB Invoices

How do I change the name of the admin folder

nitro-it
    Participant
    • Total posts: 77
    Up

Oh OK. Im sure you’re aware of the possibility to print out invoices directly from ZC admin?

To rename the folder follow this guide http://tutorials.zen-cart.com/index.php?article=33 though instead of the current folder being admin yours will be zcadmin which was changed in a more recent version. To make this change you’ll need FTP access and an editor for the PHP files.

Once you change it you need to remember to rename it again for any software updates.

Shipping is easy to handle when it’s a flat fee. If you consider what it would cost to post one of your larger items you could set that as the flat rate fee. So if the item was $5 and it cost $3 to ship then the total would be $8 without any margin made on the shipping. Whereas an item selling for $1 + $3 shipping would net you a bit of a margin on the shipping plus also be a reasonable amount to charge. It’s just an example anyway. Keep in mind that shipping is not only the postage cost, but also the envelope and the time and effort to get to the post office (petrol if you drive there) etc so charging more than the actual postage cost is certainly a reasonable expectation (in my view anyway).

iamsparro
    • Total posts: 65
    Up

Seems like you’re throwing the products at us a bit early.

What about an intro section; speaking a little about what you sell, etc. Play the independent angle, build the story – that sort of thing?

Perhaps rather than “New products for July”, push some recommended, featured or discounted products. New products is good for your return visitors, but you have to build up those customers first.

Also, upcoming products isn’t that sexy. It’s got some fair real estate at the bottom of the page there, but doesn’t really earn it. Why don’t you place something there that you can sell right away?

T j Turner
    Up
    iamsparro, post: 82737 wrote:
    Seems like you’re throwing the products at us a bit early.

What about an intro section; speaking a little about what you sell, etc. Play the independent angle, build the story – that sort of thing?

Perhaps rather than “New products for July”, push some recommended, featured or discounted products. New products is good for your return visitors, but you have to build up those customers first.

Also, upcoming products isn’t that sexy. It’s got some fair real estate at the bottom of the page there, but doesn’t really earn it. Why don’t you place something there that you can sell right away?

How do I get rid of the upcoming product section

Canex Graphic Designs
    • Total posts: 222
    Up

Hi Tanja,

I like checking in to see how you are going with your website as I often see your posts around Flying Solo :)

My main suggestion would be to think about the colouring of your site… I would suggest softer colours rather than the dark brown. Search online for sites that sell similar products and think about what you do and don’t like about their sites and then think about how you can use this to improve your site…

I agree with the comments above – including a quick intro at the top of the first page would make it seem less pushy :)

Nice work so far though :)

Cheers,

Nelson

T j Turner
    Up
    Canex Graphic Designs, post: 83018 wrote:
    Hi Tanja,

I like checking in to see how you are going with your website as I often see your posts around Flying Solo :)

My main suggestion would be to think about the colouring of your site… I would suggest softer colours rather than the dark brown. Search online for sites that sell similar products and think about what you do and don’t like about their sites and then think about how you can use this to improve your site…

I agree with the comments above – including a quick intro at the top of the first page would make it seem less pushy :)

Nice work so far though :)

Cheers,

Nelson

Thanks for that. Do you have any idea what I can have as an intro on my site. So far it has taken me about 3 weeks to do even though I have no idea what I was doing at first and still learning how things work.

Tanja

Canex Graphic Designs
    • Total posts: 222
    Up

No worries!

When writing your intro think about what you would like to see if you were a customer. Think: what do you sell? Who for? Where? And include the answers in your intro.

One site I found by doing a quick Google search was this one: http://www.zellyscraftsandgifts.com.au/store/Default.asp
    It’s intro is a bit longer than you really need but it includes a quick summary to help people know up front what exactly the website is about.

I’m no copywriter (maybe one of those could jump in here and help us out!) but I would put something like:

“T J Turner provides quality, Australian made hand crafts and gifts. We have a wide range available including greeting cards, gifts tags, various craft supplies and more, with new products contantly becoming available.

We deliver Australia-wide and also have gift certificates that are perfect for all occasions.

Browse through our wide range of products and feel free to contact us if you have any questions.”

… just a suggestion!

Another thing I just noticed was your title tag for the home page: make sure this is very discriptive of what exactly your business is. If you are not sure what this is, just Google it and you will get a better explanation than I could give you and great examples to help you create the perfect title tag!!

Hope this helps!

Nelson

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.