Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Would like some feedback on my website

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #973257
    T j Turner
    Member
    • Total posts: 240
    Up
    0
    ::

    I have an online business at http://tjturner.openstores.com.au/index.html and would like some feedback on the site and also how do I go about getting generating more customers to the site.

    Would love to hear your feedback about this

    Tanja

    #1060628
    sixx
    Member
    • Total posts: 333
    Up
    0
    ::

    tjturner.com.au would be a big start.

    The domain is available and $20 would be a small investment from a marketing standpoint. Link it to your current store as to make it alot easier for prospective customers to remember.
    Looks more pro on advertising material also.

    What’s with the site counter? can this be nuked?

    #1060629
    T j Turner
    Member
    • Total posts: 240
    Up
    0
    ::
    sixx, post: 74954 wrote:
    tjturner.com.au would be a big start.

    The domain is available and $20 would be a small investment from a marketing standpoint. Link it to your current store as to make it alot easier for prospective customers to remember.
    Looks more pro on advertising material also.

    What’s with the site counter? can this be nuked?

    Where woul I get a domain name at that price and how do I link it to my current store as this is still all new to me and only been operating for 12 months now.

    The site counter gives me an idea on how many people view my site

    #1060630
    sixx
    Member
    • Total posts: 333
    Up
    0
    ::
    T j Turner, post: 74955 wrote:
    Where woul I get a domain name at that price and how do I link it to my current store as this is still all new to me and only been operating for 12 months now.

    The site counter gives me an idea on how many people view my site

    Your business is looking pretty good for only 12 months. Keep up the great work.

    Crazy Domains have your domain @ $12 per year, minimum of two for .com.au ext. http://www.crazydomains.com.au/

    I’m sure one of the helpful techies here will be able to walk you through linking/hosting your new domain.
    From there you should be able to track all your visitors, what countries they are coming from etc.

    Goodluck.

    #1060631
    T j Turner
    Member
    • Total posts: 240
    Up
    0
    ::

    My website is a free one but I set it out the way I want it and plus I designed my own banner for the site

    #1060632
    sixx
    Member
    • Total posts: 333
    Up
    0
    ::
    T j Turner, post: 74960 wrote:
    My website is a free one but I set it out the way I want it and plus I designed my own banner for the site

    Cool.

    I read in another post of yours you attract customers with flyers etc. Just figured a more attractive/memorable address may of helped with awareness.

    TJ, have you looked at Storenvy before? This may be something you are interested in.
    It’s free like openstores and has a very vibrant community that is specifically there to shop. http://www.storenvy.com/

    Best thing is they have defined categories, for example if someone is shopping for paper products, they would go here >> http://www.storenvy.com/browse/paper-goods

    You have an unlimited amount of products you can introduce, and it is all super user friendly for sellers with a shopping cart that is totally hassle free.
    You sell, you get paid, you send.

    Check it out. It may be a nice “addition” to your current site.

    #1060633
    T j Turner
    Member
    • Total posts: 240
    Up
    0
    ::
    sixx, post: 74961 wrote:
    Cool.

    I read in another post of yours you attract customers with flyers etc. Just figured a more attractive/memorable address may of helped with awareness.

    TJ, have you looked at Storenvy before? This may be something you are interested in.
    It’s free like openstores and has a very vibrant community that is specifically there to shop. http://www.storenvy.com/

    Best thing is they have defined categories, for example if someone is shopping for paper products, they would go here >> http://www.storenvy.com/browse/paper-goods

    You have an unlimited amount of products you can introduce, and it is all super user friendly for sellers with a shopping cart that is totally hassle free.
    You sell, you get paid, you send.

    Check it out. It may be a nice “addition” to your current site.

    Thankyou for the link to the site will check it out and see how it goes. No I haven’t looked at Storenvy before I haven’t even heard of it until now. Do they have it in our dollars

    #1060634
    Tergeste
    Member
    • Total posts: 65
    Up
    0
    ::
    T j Turner, post: 74952 wrote:
    I have an online business at http://tjturner.openstores.com.au/index.html and would like some feedback on the site and also how do I go about getting generating more customers to the site.

    Would love to hear your feedback about this

    Tanja

    To be brutally honest this is a late 1990 web site, quiet bad really…
    Should have a look at something like http://www.bigcommerce.com
    if you are serious…
    Other drop me a line for some free help [email protected], we can organise a whole package for you and drive traffic and more importantly conversion.
    You make money from people not traffic..

    #1060635
    Markwest
    Member
    • Total posts: 11
    Up
    0
    ::

    as for me, it has too much white unoccupied space, especially in header and footer. Concerning the logo, it’s simple as well and its font could be much more better. You should certainly pay attention as to that and refresh your website look, make it more attractive for modern viewers.
    Wish you luck in improvements!

    #1060636
    DreamscanbeVisions
    Member
    • Total posts: 284
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi there I thought I should maybe add some feedback as I’ve been in the boat as you in the last few weeks.

    I must say your forum is looking quite nice & it’s a shame the rest of your site doesn’t go with the same modern flow.

    You do have a bunch of products & I’m sure you have lots of customers/visitors judging from your facebook friends (assuming they added your business).

    In regards to SEO since you have such a huge site you can really get this website ranked very high under a range of different products if you wanted to spread awareness dramatically online.

    In my opinion you would have to get your site more modern, a new chunk of land (domain name) & that’s it.

    Getting a new domain is actually very easy & you can just redirect your old domain to the new so you wont lose anyone typing in your old domain in a search engine.

    P.S I really hope you’re not using the “site counter” to detect your site’s traffic because well.. it’s an image.

    Kind regards.

    #1060637
    SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up
    0
    ::

    Your website has so much potential but there are a few things I feel you need to do to make it more people friendly.

    First of all is to have a proper domain name as others have suggested. I’ve just paid $19.95 for two years for a .com.au domain name, as it’s not through openstores or any of those online shopping malls it looks more substantial and makes me look more permanent. I bought them through ventraIP.

    The next thing is to take the counter off the base of the page. You really need to install Google Analytics which will give you much, much more information than you are currently getting from the counter. The counter reminds me of eBay and doesn’t give the impression of a proper shop.

    Some of your photos are unclear and some of your items are in their packaging which means you can’t get a decent photo of them. I know some of my photos aren’t the best and one day I’ll replace them. In order to make them look their best you should probably be taking them in a light box, they’re easy and cheap to make.

    Give a bit more information in your listings. People buying them can’t handle them and are relying on the information you give and the photo they see to make an informed decision. You need to look at the item as if you’re a customer and ask yourself what you see and what questions you’d be asking if you were the customer. This listing is a good example: http://tjturner.openstores.com.au/p/271/Pink-Beaded-Phone-Dangle-002.html What are the beads made of, is the 8cm just the beads or is the attaching part included, does the attaching part have a name, if so, use it.

    When writing your descriptions try to vary the words a little. I really liked this one as each line didn’t start off with ‘they’ http://tjturner.openstores.com.au/p/24/Happy-Birthday-Banners.html

    I also think the website is rather aged, it doesn’t look modern and up to date. That might just be because of the openstores format. Do you have the capability within openstores to use your own domain name and an external template or are you limited to the ones openstores provides?

    I really like the background on your blog. Is there any way you can take that background and incorporate it into your website? I believe Blogger is not that good with that but WordPress is very adaptable and you can often put a store in a WordPress blog.

    Anyway, I think I’ll just shut up now before you get bored with reading my stuff.

    #1060638
    T j Turner
    Member
    • Total posts: 240
    Up
    0
    ::
    SuzsSpace, post: 75199 wrote:
    Your website has so much potential but there are a few things I feel you need to do to make it more people friendly.

    First of all is to have a proper domain name as others have suggested. I’ve just paid $19.95 for two years for a .com.au domain name, as it’s not through openstores or any of those online shopping malls it looks more substantial and makes me look more permanent. I bought them through ventraIP.

    The next thing is to take the counter off the base of the page. You really need to install Google Analytics which will give you much, much more information than you are currently getting from the counter. The counter reminds me of eBay and doesn’t give the impression of a proper shop.

    Also is google analystics a free service and how do i use it

    Some of your photos are unclear and some of your items are in their packaging which means you can’t get a decent photo of them. I know some of my photos aren’t the best and one day I’ll replace them. In order to make them look their best you should probably be taking them in a light box, they’re easy and cheap to make.

    Give a bit more information in your listings. People buying them can’t handle them and are relying on the information you give and the photo they see to make an informed decision. You need to look at the item as if you’re a customer and ask yourself what you see and what questions you’d be asking if you were the customer. This listing is a good example: http://tjturner.openstores.com.au/p/271/Pink-Beaded-Phone-Dangle-002.html What are the beads made of, is the 8cm just the beads or is the attaching part included, does the attaching part have a name, if so, use it.

    When writing your descriptions try to vary the words a little. I really liked this one as each line didn’t start off with ‘they’ http://tjturner.openstores.com.au/p/24/Happy-Birthday-Banners.html

    I also think the website is rather aged, it doesn’t look modern and up to date. That might just be because of the openstores format. Do you have the capability within openstores to use your own domain name and an external template or are you limited to the ones openstores provides?

    I really like the background on your blog. Is there any way you can take that background and incorporate it into your website? I believe Blogger is not that good with that but WordPress is very adaptable and you can often put a store in a WordPress blog.

    Anyway, I think I’ll just shut up now before you get bored with reading my stuff.

    As my online store is a free one not sure if i can have a domain name i know it cost to have one with them for a paid service but i can’t afford the paid service. I don’t think that I can but might find out if i can have a background but I won’t be selling just cardmaking / scrapbooking supplies. I will be selling other things ie. chocolate making supplies as well soon.

    #1060639
    DreamscanbeVisions
    Member
    • Total posts: 284
    Up
    0
    ::
    T j Turner, post: 75218 wrote:
    As my online store is a free one not sure if i can have a domain name i know it cost to have one with them for a paid service but i can’t afford the paid service. I don’t think that I can but might find out if i can have a background but I won’t be selling just cardmaking / scrapbooking supplies. I will be selling other things ie. chocolate making supplies as well soon.

    Try contacting the Free Store Site & ask them if they can send you your site as files. Then get hosting: $4/Month, Domain: $1/Month & someone to upload all the files to your new host with your domain as the land.

    You should really ask or even offer an amount to get your site files so that you can have your own domain name. Probably the the most important investment for an online company.

    #1060640
    T j Turner
    Member
    • Total posts: 240
    Up
    0
    ::
    DreamscanbeVisions, post: 75373 wrote:
    Try contacting the Free Store Site & ask them if they can send you your site as files. Then get hosting: $4/Month, Domain: $1/Month & someone to upload all the files to your new host with your domain as the land.

    You should really ask or even offer an amount to get your site files so that you can have your own domain name. Probably the the most important investment for an online company.

    How do I go about finding a host and a domain at $1/ per month. Also interesting to know if there are other free stores like openstores out there that maybe looks more moden

    #1060641
    DreamscanbeVisions
    Member
    • Total posts: 284
    Up
    0
    ::
    T j Turner, post: 75375 wrote:
    How do I go about finding a host and a domain at $1/ per month. Also interesting to know if there are other free stores like openstores out there that maybe looks more moden

    For hosting visit hostgator.com their prices start from $2.95/month
    For domain name visit crazydomains.com.au (mentioned earlier) $24/2years

    About a modern site builder I’m not too sure, maybe if you google it you can find some.

    Honestly if I were you I would learn wordpress. For example here’s my website: http://www.seabuckthornoil.com.au

    I learnt how to do every single little thing in just 2months & I’m a uni student. Plus now I can make heaps more sites later on & oh best of all it costs $0 for the website :D

    Hosting & domain costs are just irrelevant.

    If I knew how to use wordpress before making it, it would have have probably taken 5 days & lots of coffee.

    I really think you should learn wordpress & not pay someone else 1000’s of dollars unless you have a nice flow of capital & very limited time.

    ….so to summarize the basics of Search engine optimization (getting traffic) & the design of my site costed me $0 in expenses (not including time meh).

    I really think you should do the latter as it’s not that hard to learn just takes lots of frustration & coffee haha.

    Regards.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.