Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Would like your thoughts on my new website please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    wordmistress
    • Total posts: 504
    Up
    ::

Hi all, this is the background my web guy has come up with for my new wordmistress site. I like it but have some reservations and I would really appreciate your feedback. It’s not a done deal by any stretch of the imagination yet. The guy I use is really good and very approachable so your comments will definitely be taken on board.

Please disregard obvious errors such as Word Mistress being used instead of wordmistress.

I’ll spare you my comments so as not to influence your feedback. Thanks!!

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Hey Gina,

I don’t like the background nor the font in the header and footer.

I think the white background on the copy ruins the notepad effect too.

Actually, there’s a lot of minor things about it that make it a bit of an amateurish design. The post-it note curls up but the text on it doesn’t. The ‘clutter’ on the left draws attention away from the important bits.

But overall, I think he’s missed the point of your website having goals.

What ARE your goals?

Leads? Yes
    Newsletter subscriptions? Maybe

Where’s the lead capture form? I’m time poor, what’s captured me on your website?

Do what you do best Gina, use your words to CAPTURE the person from the word dot. Then it’s the designers job to design those words, make the eye flow and the users attention head down the funnel.

Step 1 – Attention : Close your eyes for 3 seconds, open then and let your eye flow naturally. Where did it look in 5 seconds, and did it capture your attention?

Step 2 – Interest : Ok, we’ve flowed the eye to our headlines, do they capture your interest?

Step 3 – Desire : Well I’m here, you have my attention, you have my interest. Now sell me, build the value with your copy (this is what you do best).

Step 4 – Action : OK! I’m sold, where do I sign up (attention flow)? Where do I put in my details, where’s the ‘Buy Now’ button, where’s the ‘Get in touch’ button?

Quiz: Can anyone tell me what Attention, Interest, Desire, Action is? AIDA?

wordmistress
    Up

Chris, you’re an absolute gem! Will take it all on board, thank you.

deskchecked
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Have to agree, the white text on the purple patterned background really gets lost.

I think having the primary navigation at the bottom of the page is pretty weird too.

The rest of it looks pretty good to me!

wordmistress
    Up
    deskchecked, post: 28164 wrote:
    Have to agree, the white text on the purple patterned background really gets lost.

I think having the primary navigation at the bottom of the page is pretty weird too.

The rest of it looks pretty good to me!

Thanks! The main menu is meant to be at the bottom with sub menus opening at the top but he hasn’t put those in yet.

Agreed on the white text on purple.

tr3nton
    • Total posts: 68
    Up

(previously mentioned points)

You have a notepad/writing pad… with printed text/document on it?

Aside from that, the lines of the notepad don’t line up with the text… which may be a good thing since its’s a print out.

Also.. in the header you have the site title, then in the notepad you have the site title again.. wouldn’t it be better to just have the site title once – (include the tag line in the header).. then have the page title on the top of the notepad – perhaps a bit bigger so it stands out more from the body.

wordmistress
    Up
    tr3nton, post: 28177 wrote:
    (previously mentioned points)

You have a notepad/writing pad… with printed text/document on it?

Aside from that, the lines of the notepad don’t line up with the text… which may be a good thing since its’s a print out.

Also.. in the header you have the site title, then in the notepad you have the site title again.. wouldn’t it be better to just have the site title once – (include the tag line in the header).. then have the page title on the top of the notepad – perhaps a bit bigger so it stands out more from the body.

All very valid points!

Hmm, methinks it might be back to the drawing board.

What I DO like is the format that there is nothing beneath the fold. I want clean, precise, fresh, stylish and so on.

I also don’t like the kitsch graphics. Too ‘cute’ for my liking. And too literal. Who writes with a pen anymore? (I even type my shopping lists!!) I would prefer a plain space for the content instead of the notebook idea. I don’t want to project an image of old technology/items such as notebooks, pens and wood grain desks.

Anyone else?

wordmistress
    Up

Ok, wordmistress website take 2! I’m off to a course today but would really appreciate anyone’s feedback on the new version of my new site. As always, there’s much to learn and plenty of scope for change so please be brutal – yes, brutal – as I want it to be perfect.

Bear in mind that my logo is black. I wanted it on the top right corner of the burgundy coloured bar at the top but it’s black and rectangular, any idea how to tackle that?

Another thing I’ll have to confess is that my logo is home made so is only a jpeg.

All help would be much appreciated!

FionaFell
    • Total posts: 342
    Up

I think you need a strong headline.

Get rid of the ‘Welcome’ message and tell me what I get by reading further into your page and then what I get by going further into your site.

Sell me something. If you are wanting to take the next 5-10 mintues of my day, what do I get?

Pull me in to your copy.

wordmistress
    Up
    FionaFell, post: 28700 wrote:
    I think you need a strong headline.

Get rid of the ‘Welcome’ message and tell me what I get by reading further into your page and then what I get by going further into your site.

Sell me something. If you are wanting to take the next 5-10 mintues of my day, what do I get?

Pull me in to your copy.

Hi Fiona, thanks for your comments. Yes, there’s still alot of work to be done on the placement of calls-to-action, etc. And I agree, I hate that ‘welcome’ message. These are not what I’m looking for at the moment. It’s more about aesthetics, getting the right ‘feel’, colours and so on. I was in a rush to get to that course yesterday so didn’t adequately explain myself; apologies.

wordmistress
    Up

Actually, what I’d really also like feedback on is: should I keep the site above the fold (as shown in the graphic) and allow scrolling inside the main text box? Or should I allow the site to be downward scroll-able? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

FionaFell
    • Total posts: 342
    Up

I would let the whole page scroll.

Some users may simply not be aware that there is more content available if the ‘fold’ of a fixed height box finished at the end of a paragraph. (Well, not unless you make the scroll bar obvious enough to force them to see it first — hence distracting them from reading your content in the first place!)

I expect pages to scroll if they hold more than one screen of content.

If you should attract a person who has a small screen, low resolution, or uses a window that is not full screen to browse your site, they may miss important bits of your content and navigation if they cannot see things on the right side of your design (scroll bars inside your design, not the browser scroll bars)

Let me know if you want me to look at any new version, or if you want me to go up a full web site design, to help out your developer get the ‘look’ right for you.

Cheers, Fiona

wordmistress
    Up

That’s really kind of you, Fiona. Love to talk further about it with you.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

To be fair on the designer, it is a bit unfair making use of this committee for input…design by committee is going to cost the designer heaps in time and redos. Unless he is using templates. What YOU want and like are the important aspects in design.

Re above/below fold. ALWAYS try for a page that does not have below the fold. If there is more info than will fit, fine, but keep the important stuff up high.

Also NEVER have a smaller area with important content that has it own scroll bar. The very nature page construction often means this content will be invisible to search engines. We don’t want that, do we ;)

wordmistress
    Up
    King, post: 29414 wrote:
    To be fair on the designer, it is a bit unfair making use of this committee for input…design by committee is going to cost the designer heaps in time and redos. Unless he is using templates. What YOU want and like are the important aspects in design.

Re above/below fold. ALWAYS try for a page that does not have below the fold. If there is more info than will fit, fine, but keep the important stuff up high.

Also NEVER have a smaller area with important content that has it own scroll bar. The very nature page construction often means this content will be invisible to search engines. We don’t want that, do we ;)

Ooh, interesting points! No, we certainly don’t want that!!

I thought your last two paragraphs seemed to contradict each other. But the point about being invisible to search engines seems the clincher.

As for asking for others’ opinions, I know what you mean, but don’t worry, he’s a good guy and I’m never too hard on him lol. Just want to get it right from the start as much as possible. He did my other site http://www.liveitup.net.au so I believe I’m in capable hands :).

I definitely appreciate your viewpoints, thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.