Home – New Forums Other discussions Would you pay to have your social media managed?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    ::

If, like most business owners, you’re too busy to tweet and keep up with Facebook or Google Alerts and all those little tools that are creeping into everyday business life, would you be prepared to pay to have someone manage these for you and perhaps give a weekly report?

Yes? No? Why?

Also, how MUCH would you be prepared to pay? If you don’t have the time, how much would it be worth for someone else to dedicate their time to your social networking?

Would love your feedback soloists.

Cheers,
    Anna

SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604
    Up

yes, and I do, but it’s part of my VA’s tasks.

There are quite a few people who offer this service and I’ve heard they start from $40 per month (though that is just a post or 2 a day).

Netorigin
    • Total posts: 421
    Up

We already have our social media managed in-house by a staff member. He manages our Facebook and Twitter accounts.

The Copy Chick
    Up

I was at a networking breakfast recently when a retailer was lamenting that he just didn’t have the time to do this – was there someone that could help him? I wondered if this was a very common issue now that social media is becoming more and more entrenched in business practices and if those with social media management outsourced or had someone in-house to deal with it.

Frankly I’m not sure how you could justify the cost unless you were engaging in a full on social media strategy with measurable results.

Again – was interested in other’s thoughts and experience, and appreciate the responses so far.

lutrov
    Participant
    • Total posts: 134
    Up

I do my own but my conversations with small business owners over the last year or so reveals that they’re mostly just not ready to dive into social media.

Most of them know stuff all about it, other than it’s a “waste of time”.

I think once they become educated on its benefits, most of them will probably have a go themselves, rather than fork out $40/month. And, of course, we know that most of them will probably get it wrong, thereby causing damage to their business.

To outsource something like that is flirting with danger though. Look what happened to Hugh Jackman and the way he got exposed as a fraudster.

Viveo Jobs
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

We do all our social media management ourselves. I find its a great way to promote the business, and let people know what we have to offer. If you have a website I find it’s a great way to direct more traffic to your site.

It’s hard to say if I would ever outsource the work because it only takes a few minutes a day, if that, to post a new status update and reply to peoples queries.

The Copy Chick
    Up
    lutrov, post: 57975 wrote:
    I do my own but my conversations with small business owners over the last year or so reveals that they’re mostly just not ready to dive into social media.

Most of them know stuff all about it, other than it’s a “waste of time”.

I hear ya! I think there’s also a lot of business owners who are beginning to realise the significance of social media, but really don’t have the first clue about how to utilise it to their advantage.

You’re absolutely right about the education aspect! If you’re a tradie, or retailer, for instance, aside from the issue of time would you have the necessary skills to employ a (successful) social media strategy? I guess it’s along the lines of hiring a bookkeeper or accountant to look after your finances if it’s not your area of expertise, or you can’t fit it into your schedule.

I’m finding it all to be a rather bizarre twist in how we do business, but it looks like it’s here to stay!

Viveo Jobs wrote:
    It’s hard to say if I would ever outsource the work because it only takes a few minutes a day, if that, to post a new status update and reply to peoples queries.

If quick, regular updates are already helping raise your profile, then it really doesn’t need to be more than that. I guess it comes down to how involved each business wants to be and what they hope to achieve from it.

Bridal Discount Book Aust
    • Total posts: 88
    Up

I don’t think I would TBH.

I think it’s the personal interaction between you & your fans & likers that make a fb page succcessful.

People pick up on changes of tone & context and if consistency varies with something that requires such personal 1 on 1 contact, it won’t take long for people to realise that the person they REALLY want to deal with isn’t on the other end of the comp :)

Just my thoughts

Jeanette

Apples1
    • Total posts: 64
    Up
    NetOrigin, post: 57849 wrote:
    We already have our social media managed in-house by a staff member. He manages our Facebook and Twitter accounts.

I agree where possible it’s best to keep it in house, if you have the luxury of having others working for you then having them keep up your social image is a good way for them to actively participate in marketing your business as well as filling in those blank spaces in they day. And since a lot of people spend there time on social media at work it’s not much of an extra task for them to mange your businesses at the same time.

Of course if you don;t have time to do it yourself or require someone more creative then there’s no reason as to why you cannot hire someone to do it for you.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

I wouldn’t pay for someone to maintain my social media as I like the personal contact…but I would have loved someone to have set it up for me!! I didn’t know what I was doing, it took me a VERY long time, and I still don’t make the most of it.

Perhaps some of us who don’t (or rather – didn’t) see the value in it, would be prepared to pay for setup and training when shown the benefits?

Regards
    Wendy
    http://www.coupleit.com.au

The Copy Chick
    Up

Thanks all for the new comments. I’m inclined to agree – I think the whole point of social media is to manage it yourself and make that personal connection with your customers/contacts.

Again, of the reasons I posed this question is because a business owner in one of my networking groups was unsure how he would find the time to manage it all, as he was already flat out.

Perhaps, as Wendy mentioned, the key is understanding where to focus your attention and knowing how to set it up to make it easy to keep on top of. There’s plenty of tools to help streamline the process, but it takes a lot of time and energy to find these if you don’t know what you’re doing.

Certainly I found the social media seminar I took when I started my business incredibly helpful and it made it easier for me to find the resources I needed to effectively manage everything.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.