Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Would you use my services or not!?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    ::

Hi guys…… just wanting to gauge an understanding on what users are thinking when they are browsing my site.

Say you stumbled across my website via Google or some such because you were looking for one of my services such as web design, logo design etc

Now, what are your thoughts!? Would you contact me about getting the service done or is something making you leave the site to seek out others?

If you would contact me… why? If not, why?

Please be as honest as possible, as that will only help me.

My website link is in my sig.

Thanks!

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Brett,

Great question – and a brave one. Good on you for putting your neck on the line.

I’ll kick things off with my two cents, and apologies in advance if it’s not what you were hoping to hear…

Imagining for a moment that I didn’t already know what a good guy you were and had just discovered your site on Google, the first thing I’d be looking for is a portfolio that gives me a flavour of what you do, and how successful you’ve been at doing it.

I couldn’t see one on your site, and if I were just browsing looking for a supplier, the omission would make me click away pretty fast.

Hope that helps, and I’ll be interested in comments from others too.

Jayne

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

When I first launched my web design business I had to write an in depth business plan. (I’m on NEIS), part of that plan was having to develop a survey. With the survey I asked people to rate in order of importance what they want to see when asking for web design services. (could re-word that sentence but I’m not!) They said a portfolio, then testimonials, then cost.

Short answer, you need a portfolio.

If you’re hooked up to Google Analytics, use In-Page Analytics to see what your visitors are clicking on / where they’re going.

daydreamer
    • Total posts: 100
    Up

In addition to the portfolio, I also judge the web designer’s website.

Sorry to say, but I was not inspired by yours… looks like you are using a pretty ordinary template, and stock images, and I could probably put something similar together using WordPress or whatever, even though I am not a web designer.

If I am going to commission a web designer, I really want something that has the wow factor – awesomely professionally and creatively amazing.

Cheers!

NickHumphries
    • Total posts: 418
    Up

Condor does have a portfolio, it’s just not easy to see down in the footer!

http://www.condorcreative.com.au/portfolio.php

Good that you have one, but needs more work in it aswell.. I wouldn’t be too keen on working with someone with two items in their portfolio!

nominal
    • Total posts: 504
    Up

I 2nd both previous comments, you really want a portfolio that screams GREAT DESIGN JOB.

I was also looking for a much more good looking websites, these little white people are overused (I use them as well and I sell accounting software – boring!)

Sorry for not having more positive comments.

Calcul8or
    Participant
    • Total posts: 481
    Up

When I asked a similar question here many moons ago, a lot of the feedback I received about the appearance of my website was that there wasn’t enough “white space” which consequently makes it look dated. I gathered back then, as I still do, that what that meant was that it should look more along the lines of yours.

Only trouble with that is that everyone else seems to have the same idea, and what I really want for my site is a bit of personality above all other things, to kinda set it apart, if possible. If that means banishing white space for the sake of what looks like a few really good food stains to give it a bit of character, then so be it!

As you will know instantly upon laying eyes on my website, I ain’t no website designer, so what the hell do I know anyway?

Programmer. Analyst. Nerd. Calcul8ors.com.au Custom Software & Collaboration
    BrettM33
    Participant
    Up

Thanks for all the comments guys and pretty much what I expected.

Now, as to the portfolio – that has been a big issue so far. I originally did have one showing, but then was given the opinion by two others that it’s probably best not to have one at all rather than to just have one with hardly anything in it. Forgot to take the link out of the footer Nick ;)

What’s others opinions on this?

As for the site design, well it’s not a “template” as someone put it; but I agree it’s pretty bland. The “little white guys” will be having an unfortunate “accident” soon too….. :p

I do plan to improve the website in the near future, but what I have no will have to do for the time being.

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Hi Condor,

What I don’t see is the creativity and flair that your logo has. Your logo is one of my favourites that I have seen in a long time, and I think that theme needs to carry through your site.

If I remember something you said a while back is that you are more coding than design? If so, get the person who designed your logo to work on your site. Use your coding skills where needed and let the design carry it through.

If you collaborate on jobs, there is no reason they cannot be in your portfolio as well (credit given to the collaboration of course).

Also, lots and lots and lots of text for a DESIGN business – I don’t think you are showing off enough creativity on the site

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up
    AgentMail, post: 117333 wrote:
    Hi Condor,

What I don’t see is the creativity and flair that your logo has. Your logo is one of my favourites that I have seen in a long time, and I think that theme needs to carry through your site.

If I remember something you said a while back is that you are more coding than design? If so, get the person who designed your logo to work on your site. Use your coding skills where needed and let the design carry it through.

If you collaborate on jobs, there is no reason they cannot be in your portfolio as well (credit given to the collaboration of course).

Also, lots and lots and lots of text for a DESIGN business – I don’t think you are showing off enough creativity on the site

Thanks Agent. A lot to think about there.

I mean, I could include some of my past work and credit the designer, but, when people are looking at portfolios they are generally looking for all the “pretty designs” and if I note they weren’t done by my company then is there much point in putting them in there!?

T J Madigan
    • Total posts: 255
    Up
    CondorCreative, post: 117331 wrote:
    Thanks for all the comments guys and pretty much what I expected.

Now, as to the portfolio – that has been a big issue so far. I originally did have one showing, but then was given the opinion by two others that it’s probably best not to have one at all rather than to just have one with hardly anything in it. Forgot to take the link out of the footer Nick ;)

What’s others opinions on this?

As for the site design, well it’s not a “template” as someone put it; but I agree it’s pretty bland. The “little white guys” will be having an unfortunate “accident” soon too….. :p

I do plan to improve the website in the near future, but what I have no will have to do for the time being.

With regard to your website, If I may be so bold…
    Here are a few suggestions that you shouldn’t find too difficult to implement.

This is what I would do if I were you.

The section where the white-men are… get rid if it all together. Just remove it.

That will bring your lead capture system into the top fold (very important).
    Change ‘Quick Quote’ to ‘Quick & Easy Quote’.

In the header, on every page, have a physical address.
    On every page prominently place a land-line telephone number (preferably 1300) so people feel they can contact you quickly and easily.
    (these things add to your credibility)

In the space to the left of your lead capture form I suggest you remove all of that blurb and replace with a table 2 or 3 columns wide (my choice would be 3).

Add the images (or different ones if you choose) and headings from this page, http://www.condorcreative.com.au/services.php to the tables you create on the home page.
    Just use the image with a blue text link above or below the image (Web Design, Web Applications, Ecommerce Development, etc,) pointing to the appropriate pages.

You have some nice professional looking images there, I think you could use them in a way that helps portray your professionalism as soon as a visitor hits your site.

The space your visitor sees as soon as they hit your website is your most valuable piece of online real-estate and you have roughly 3 seconds from the time a visitor lands on your site to impress them. That area, (above the fold) is where you will win or lose most of your customers. Use that space wisely.

And remember, Sometimes less is more.

BrettM33
    Participant
    Up
    T J Madigan, post: 117342 wrote:
    With regard to your website, If I may be so bold…
    Here are a few suggestions that you shouldn’t find too difficult to implement.

This is what I would do if I were you.

The section where the white-men are… get rid if it all together. Just remove it.

That will bring your lead capture system into the top fold (very important).
    Change ‘Quick Quote’ to ‘Quick & Easy Quote’.

In the header, on every page, have a physical address.
    On every page prominently place a land-line telephone number (preferably 1300) so people feel they can contact you quickly and easily.
    (these things add to your credibility)

In the space to the left of your lead capture form I suggest you remove all of that blurb and replace with a table 2 or 3 columns wide (my choice would be 3).

Add the images (or different ones if you choose) and headings from this page, http://www.condorcreative.com.au/services.php to the tables you create on the home page.
    Just use the image with a blue text link above or below the image (Web Design, Web Applications, Ecommerce Development, etc,) pointing to the appropriate pages.

You have some nice professional looking images there, I think you could use them in a way that helps portray your professionalism as soon as a visitor hits your site.

The space your visitor sees as soon as they hit your website is your most valuable piece of online real-estate and you have roughly 3 seconds from the time a visitor lands on your site to impress them. That area, (above the fold) is where you will win or lose most of your customers. Use that space wisely.

And remember, Sometimes less is more.

Some good tips there and some I will implement. Though I can’t put a physical address on the site as I work from home.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.