Home – New Forums Money matters Xero tops independent review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Rhys
    • Total posts: 325
    Up
    ::

Guys,

For any of you looking at reviewing your bookkeeping systems at any stage you might want to take a look at another independent review that has ranked Xero #1 amongst bookkeeping / accounting packages for SMEs, making it the only package they reviewed to be awarded 5 stars.

I have put more details on this review up on my blog, or if anyone wants to get additional information please contact me.

Cheers, Rhys

Vanguard
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

As a professional bookkeeper I have helped clients using all manner of different software solutions.

I just love Xero, and so do my clients…and with good reason.

1. Being web-based, there is no software to install, updates, service packs or patches – all you need is a web-browser and a good internet connection
    2. Offsite storage of your data (records safe in event of flood, fire, lightening strike or theft)
    3. Collaboration – simultaneaous access by business owner, staff, bookkeeper and accountant (so no cd’s or usb stick to send data file each quarter) at no extra cost.
    4. Powerful reporting
    5. Bank Rules – can expidite reconciling large numbers of transactions
    6. Bank Feeds – makes reconcilling your bank regularly easy
    7. Multicurrency – Xero can hold account values in currencies other that your base currency – no more needing to convert prior to entering
    8. Inventory and payroll solutions available that integrate with Xero

Xero is now my preferred accounting application.

Like to know more or want help to set up?
    [email protected] 0419913355

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Hi Rhys,

I cannot say enough good things about Xero, I transferred from MYOB about 2 months ago and have never looked back!

My weekly book keeping time has dropped from about 3 hours per week to about 30 minutes. I’m being serious too, I timed it!

Well worth a look if you haven’t made the switch!

– Jake

HamishBorthen
    • Total posts: 51
    Up
    JBKVanguard, post: 44635 wrote:
    As a professional bookkeeper I have helped clients using all manner of different software solutions.

I just love Xero, and so do my clients…and with good reason.

Xero is now my preferred accounting application.

Like to know more or want help to set up?

I did a quick scan of the feature list but I don’t see payroll?

What do you do with clients that need payroll?

My interest is that we are setting up a temp division of Duff Recruitment which means we may be doing payroll for 5-10-20 people a year (hopefully more!). I was looking at accounting software at it rapidly gets very expensive as they assume 20-50 people means the company has a huge turn over. However in recruitment it might mean 50 people doing 1 day stints which we only make a tiny fraction on their wages… so looking for a cost effective solution.

I’ve already download kwik payroll which I can use in conjunction with my current software.. however I’m wondering if this isn’t a opportunity to switch software… err… sorry this is rapidly turning into a hijack.. so I’ll stop :)

Thanks!

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up

Hamish.

Take a look at Paycycle or ePayroll. Both integrate seamlessly into Xero. You can do it all from within Xero if you are prepared to run a spreadsheet for leave entitlements and write out Payment Summaries at the end of the year.I have a few clients doing it this way and its worked well so far.

Trish FCA
    • Total posts: 235
    Up

As a professional bookkeeper I decided to use Xero for my own business so I can find out more about it so I can recommend it to my clients. I’ve found it fantastic for me and it gives me everything I want.

Sunnys
    • Total posts: 64
    Up

Can any advise what are the charges involved in using XERO – is it a monthly charge, annual and how much is it?

Rhys
    Up

Hi Sunnys,

Xero starts at $29 a month for micro business (< 20 bank transactions per month & < 5 customer / supplier invoices). Next price point is $49 per month for the majority of businesses - unlimited transactions. All paid monthly (very good for cashflow)! You can sign up for free and “play” with the demo company – go to the Xero website at http://www.xero.com/business and click on the “try Xero for free” button

Also lots of information, videos, etc relating to Xero on the Xero page of my website. Once you’re there click on the blog also, half a dozen posts relevant posts.

Cheers, Rhys

SaraHoward
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

I’m also thinking of making the switch from MYOB to Xero, and I’m looking for a project management tool that integrates with it.
    WorkFlowMax has been suggested, but it seems overly complicated for what I need – just want to keep tabs on projects clients, prospects and deadlines, not every single task or time-clocking. Can anyone recommend anything else?
    Thanks,
    Sara

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi,

Im liking the sound of the reviews of this xero program, however I’d like to know if there is an offline component to it that a)means you can still put entries in if there is a problem between your internet connection and xero’s?
    b) if it can reconcile between the online transactions and the ones you put in offline?

The reason I ask is I recently (within the last 12 monthhs) heard of a real estate firm that wasnt able to access their accounting or property information as the system was down..

what i maen by the system was down, is that it wasnt their internet connection, or their computers, but the company/ site that they had chosen to centralise all of their systems too. as all this information was based on a sydney server and the company is a little victorian town, it made things difficult for them for awhile (actual time limit unknown), but selling properties couldnt be done nor could over the counter rental payments be taken, as all relative information was unavailable.

Rhys
    Up

Hi Cretsiah,

The short answer to your question – is there an offline component – is no.

But I am very strongly of the opinion that this is not an issue – or at least it is not an issue if you pick the right service provider.

So let’s start by acknowledging that there is a risk that your data may at some point be unavailable, and that this is the case whether your data is hosted or on your local server.

So which is the lesser risk, and why?

I can’t speak for other service provides, but can tell you Xero have built in “enterprise levels” of redundancy (which is a measure of how many things can fail without you being effected). There is a really good blog post on the Xero website from about a month ago, containing oodles of detail, but a couple of examples include:

• Every layer should be redundant. Multiple network providers, multiple power sources (with multiple backup generators), redundant firewalls, load balancers and highly available clustered servers – everything should be redundant.
    • 4 database servers, 2 running at any one time
    • Backups – Xero run weekly full backups, nightly incrementals and transaction log backups of our database every 10 mins.

The full blog post is quite long, and contains lots of tech-speak, but lays out in a lot of detail why this is not an issue. If you want to read the whole post please take a look at the Xero blog.

I don’t know about you, but when I think of my office environment 4 servers is 3 more than I have, and whilst I think I have a pretty good backup procedure in place – every 10 minutes??! No sorry, can’t match that.

So how about data on an office server? Well apart from the risks of the server crashing (and then if you do have a backup you are likely to need an hour, a day, maybe several days to install new hardware and restore backups), how about something as simple as a power cut? I had one of these in my office a few weeks ago (not the first this year). I wrote that experience up on my blog.

So as I said at the top, Xero does not let you work off-line. The risk of your Xero data not being available is in my view vastly lower than the risk of not being able to access corresponding data on an office server.

And this is also true of many other cloud apps, but unfortunately not all. I don’t know what application the real estate agent you refer to below was running, but that was obviously a very frustrating experience for them. Happy to talk to you (or them) in more detail regarding the benefits of Xero.

Cheers, Rhys

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.