Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Yellow Pages

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    DKChoices
    • Total posts: 101
    Up
    ::

Wanted some thoughts on whether it is valuable for a small business nowadays to list on Yellow Pages (online and physical format). It seems like a rather large expense – Would appreciate comments on whether it is essential or would the money be better spent elsewhere (SEO etc).

JoshG
    • Total posts: 110
    Up
    DKChoices, post: 162533 wrote:
    Wanted some thoughts on whether it is valuable for a small business nowadays to list on Yellow Pages (online and physical format). It seems like a rather large expense – Would appreciate comments on whether it is essential or would the money be better spent elsewhere (SEO etc).

This is a mildly controversial topic so expect 7 different answers from 3 different people!

Anyway, I think it really depends on your product and audience. If you’re targeting people who are not all that computer literate then it can be a good idea because they’re probably more likely to look at a physical book when they need something.

However, for most products I think you’re better off having a decent website. That way you can control the message, put a lot more information in front of the customer and target people who are in the buying cycle without so much competition rather than passively listing yourself alongside your competitors without much to separate you all.

In a nutshell: a website gives you many more opportunities and Yellow Pages is no longer the place of first resort. I think there’s a good reason Sensis is moving into the SEO market!

DKChoices
    Up

That all sounds very reasonable and thanks – I already have a website and have done a bit of SEO myself already. How do you think Yellow Pages tie into this? Do you think that the online section fo Yellow Pages will serve as a significant inlet of traffic and assist with link juice as well?

JoshG
    • Total posts: 110
    Up
    DKChoices, post: 162548 wrote:
    That all sounds very reasonable and thanks – I already have a website and have done a bit of SEO myself already. How do you think Yellow Pages tie into this? Do you think that the online section fo Yellow Pages will serve as a significant inlet of traffic and assist with link juice as well?

Are we talking about the site in your signature? If so, I had a 10 second look and noticed you don’t have any meta description tags so you should consider adding them for click through rate from Google.

I’ve never had a client get any real traffic from YP but then, again, it would depend on the product and audience. As I said, I had a 10 second look at the site in your signature and I can’t imagine your audience is scared of Google so YP might be ineffective for you.

As for link juice, my opinion is that you get none at all. It’s just a link to your website with the name of your business as the title so Google is going to take about zero notice of it.

My 2c would be that you’re much better off with normal SEO and internet marketing methods. Perhaps consider putting some of the money you would have spent with YP into paid advertising?

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    DKChoices, post: 162533 wrote:
    Would appreciate comments on whether it is essential or would the money be better spent elsewhere (SEO etc).

My personal opinion is that YP is completely unessential (given your products) and you’d be better off spending your money elsewhere. The only sites I ever see listed in YP online are those with no website in the first place, who probably think a YP listing is providing a sufficient online presence (this is my personal experience, not a blanket statement).

I think you can get a much bigger bang for your buck spending your money on other online activities to promote your business.

Just my 2c.

DKChoices
    Up

Thanks everybody for your opinions and feedback. I tend to agree – at the moment I am going for a ‘softly softly’ approach and being cautious not to throw too much money into something that might not be effective at all.

Hence, I’ll hold off on YP listings for sure at present.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.