Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Yellow Pages Cost & ROI

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Gibson.Dentistry
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

Hi forumites,

I’m looking for a “normal” ad in the yellow pages book and also a listing in yellow pages online…

Does anyone know of the approximate fees they charge for this?

Would you say the yellow pages are still relevant today even with the internet, and worth the ROI?

Gibson.Dentistry
    Up

Okay while I did a search on FS to no avail, I came across this thread via Google…

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/sales-marketing/10581-yellow-pages-costs.html

Seems like there are better ways to increase ROI than the YP…

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

Hi. I’ve just seen your post. I was advertising via the printed Yellow Pages from 1996 through to 2011 and it was working for me most of that time. In the last 12 months of my advert though, I only got about 3 phone calls from it. Most of my clients now come via online listings or word-of-mouth referrals so I elected not to spend any money this year at all. Funnily enough, I’ve had a few phone calls this year from people using an old Yellow Pages.

For all that, I really think it depends on the business you run too. Personally, if I was looking for your service I would either be looking in the Local Newspaper or I would be searching online in your location. So, in my way of thinking, your best options are:

Local paper advertising
    Local business directory with your local shire or council
    Perhaps Yellow Pages online for your locality
    And if you have a website then search engine listings.

Hope that helps.

Tony Pfitzner
    • Total posts: 213
    Up
    Gibson.Dentistry, post: 123723 wrote:
    Hi forumites,

Would you say the yellow pages are still relevant today even with the internet, and worth the ROI?
    I think you have already come to the correct conclusion.

I find yellow pages online lead costs about 10 times more expensive than pay per click for local services.

Here’s some data for a local service business over a period of 6 mths:
    Yellow pages costs $8472 giving 52 sales leads average cost of $162.92
    Adwords costs $14469.37 giving 930 sales leads average costs $15.56

Pay per click advertising and SEO must be where you invest initially. Don’t even consider other forms of paid advertising until you have a properly tuned pay per click account.

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

I only use Yellow Pages (online/book) as a last resort.

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up
    CondorCreative, post: 123858 wrote:
    I only use Yellow Pages (online/book) as a last resort.

Me too, only if Google doesn’t produce what I’m looking for. I figure many of my clients are the same.

Sandy Naidu
    • Total posts: 116
    Up

I agree with Kathie…With ther service you offer local newspapers might be a safer bet…Also maybe leaving some brochures in child care or preschool (if you want to target younger ones)

I found some in my son’e preschool for another dentistry and thought it was a great idea (especially because the brochure was designed with kids friendly images and colours)

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

Hi,

I see you have read and ‘liked’ my old post on what I think about YP so I will not add to that. I am assuming that by now you would have reached the conclusion that your website is enormously important and YP almost irrelevant. So instead of spending $ks on YP today so that you may get some work from it next year, here is my market tip for today:

1) Take a deep breathe
    2) Post a link to your website in the reviews section of this forum.

This can be uncomfortable but you can get some really great feedback.
    The absolute minimum spend on YP is going to be circa $3k for a tiny ad that will likely be lost in the page. You could gets lots of help with your website for that.

But to start with there are plenty of low hanging fruit that you could deal with yourself for free and just the advice of the helpful folks around here. You haven’t asked for this in this thread so I am not going to send your post off on a tangent by starting a critique now.

Shane Walker
    • Total posts: 129
    Up

Hi Gibson.Dentistry!

With regards to your yellow pages advertising, they can be quite expensive. But being in a country area as you are, it would be cheaper in the capital cities. However, the cost of advertising in the cities can range up to 100,000 dollars a year for a reasonable size ad in the Melbourne yellow pages. That said, a lot of businesses incorporating yellow pages are finding that it is becoming less and less relevant.

Based on a recent survey conducted by David Jennings and his team, 53.85 percent of people never use yellow pages at all and only 7.69 percent use it regularly. Out of those same respondents, 92.8 percent use Google to search for goods and services online.

All that said, I notice that your website is optimized for “Dentist Traralgon” and while looking at the front page of the Google search results for that particular keyword, I also observed that you are not ranking for that search term.

Moreover, the approximate number of clients you can get if you’re in rank 1 for that search term is around 12 per month, which is not very high. But given that you are a dentist, your average client value is very high and the cost that would take for you to rank for Dentist Traralgon would be very low in comparison with the return you can get each month for that.

My advice for you to start off is by claiming your Google Places Listing, which is now called Google Plus. These are the ones that are on the first page of the results and it shows a little map where you can see places that are close to you. You can do this by starting a Google Plus page. But before you can proceed to this page, you have to sign up first for a Google account and create a business page. In this way, your site can now be placed straightaway on the first page of the search results. To further strengthen your visibility, I also advise you to rank your website on the first page as well. Doing this can make you the authority for this particular area.

If you have other areas close to Traralgon that you wish to get clients from as well, you can also optimise other page on your site for the particular keywords that are relevant to those towns.

I will be more than happy to help you and give you some further advice on how to do this.

Hope this helps.

Kindest regards,

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

I am going to buck the trend a little here.

Country books are much more effective than city books simply by the sheer number of entries in the city.

I have a country client which still gets 50% of their leads from YP.

They are slowly becoming more irrelevant, but are not quite dead yet. Of course the problem is that you are stuck with them for a year – but if you have the money to spend, I say give it a shot.

You can also try other forms of advertising such as Adwords and see how they stack up. SEO is also important for and should be easy to rank for your area and business type.

Posting your site to the reviews section is a good idea.

Ondetto
    • Total posts: 110
    Up

YP can be good depending on your business, but most of my clients are reducing their spend with YP and putting the money into other areas. They are seeing some return with YP, but the cost per lead can be quite high.

I think before you spend $$$ with YP you should investigate some other areas as has been suggested before – definitely set up a Google Plus Business listing, make sure you are in all the free directories (e.g. True Local – and get some customers to review you there too), get a basic free listing with YP, invest a bit in SEO and try out Google AdWords.

However, I also think that particularly in country areas word of mouth is key, at least that’s how it is here in Geelong. Maybe you can encourage your customers to tell others about you by offering an incentive for referrals? Or you could sponsor a related community cause that you can get some PR value out of?

Just some thoughts to offer a few alternatives to YP, but if you can afford the price tag, go for it.

Gibson.Dentistry
    Up

Hey guys thank you all for the clarification… I’ll put up the website on the reviews section, and also try and have a listing on Google Plus and see how that goes…

Mrs Fox
    • Total posts: 81
    Up
    Gibson.Dentistry, post: 123723 wrote:
    Hi forumites,

I’m looking for a “normal” ad in the yellow pages book and also a listing in yellow pages online…

Yellow pages have strong online presence as well, and for companies in b2b markets, I think directories still warrant some advertising budget as well. ROI depends on your niche and how well your ad publisher fares in search result pages.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.