Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Yellow Pages Experiences?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Extraordinary You
    • Total posts: 52
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get a feel for your experiences with listing on yellow pages paid advertising. Does it work for your businesses?

Any feedback would be great.

Gina

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

For many businesses you’ll find there are much more bang for your buck advertising options. Who searches for a business via Yellow pages instead of Google these days? If your target market are still searching the traditional way then it may be worth considering.

Extraordinary You
    Up

Thanks Steve.

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

So few people even have Yellow Pages in their home. I’ve managed to cancel both White and Yellow as we never used either of them.

cashflowco
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

Good for propping up Computer monitors.

Have not used these in more than 7 years.

There are better places to spend your marketing dollars, where you will get better return.

I probably get 1-2 phones a month of People trying sell me Yellow pages solution promising to get me first on Google. They just selling sakeoil.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Hey Extroidinary you, Sure a couple of responses have indicated that they are only good for holding up monitors and, not having them in your home. But in reality anyone with internet and a computer, tablet, mobile phone (with a yellow pages holding up the monitor), has yellow pages in their home.

But look at the bigger picture, sure the old book may be out of fashion, but a lot of people use the Yellow pages online, if you believe the figures published by yellow pages they directly connect 41million calls, that’s not a small number. That’s people who have not used google. Than the people who do still search on yellow pages.

I guess what I am saying is that a lot of people are still advertising via the yellow pages (that big yellow thing and online), surely if they are not getting calls they would not be advertising. The world has moved on from the big yellow book, but the service is now being offered in another way.

Do your research, talk to people in your industry, but go beyond the yellow book holding up the monitor, and think how it is presented today.

cashflowco
    Up

It was tongue in cheek answer. I write plenty of ads for companies & I having written a Yellow Page for more than 10 years.

More people look at Google before Before they would even concider teh Yellow Pages.

Just basing this on my personal experience as a copywriter

Extraordinary You
    Up

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I was referring to the paid online version of yellow pages, has anybody had a good response rate in their businesses?

bb1
    Participant
    Up

After my Post last night pointing out that the Yellow pages was more than a big yellow book. I rang a friend with a cleaning business who was always in the big book, but now also has the online package (including the big yellow monitor holder) with them, and she indicated that she still gets a number of calls from the book, and also gets a large number from the online presence (yellowpages.com.au). She like me follows up on where every lead comes from, and says that she has no intention of pulling her ad.

cashflowco
    Up

That’s the point, Paying to advertise in their online version is not the best use of resources. When was the last time you used the Yellow Pages Online, I can’t remember when I did. Most would use Google or Bing before they would use Yellow Pages.

When I using paid advertising for my clients, they want to get a return on their spend, it’s difficult to see how you get enough eyeballs to justify spending dollars on the form of advertising.

Who do you want to reach? & Where do they hang out?
    These questions would help you find the right place to advertise.

Extraordinary You
    Up

Yes, thanks Rowan & Bert. It sounds like it works for trade businesses which is what I thought.

bb1
    Participant
    Up
    cashflowco, post: 215297, member: 68163 wrote:
    That’s the point, Paying to advertise in their online version is not the best use of resources. When was the last time you used the Yellow Pages Online, I can’t remember when I did. Most would use Google or Bing before they would use Yellow Pages.

When I using paid advertising for my clients, they want to get a return on their spend, it’s difficult to see how you get enough eyeballs to justify spending dollars on the form of advertising.

Who do you want to reach? & Where do they hang out?
    These questions would help you find the right place to advertise.
    Don’t think you read my post, she is using the online version and getting a large number of calls from the online version. But still also gets calls from the book.

From her perspective it is a good ROI for her business. Sure you may not use the yellow pages online or the monitor holder, but a lot of people still do use the resource.

To answer your specific question, when did I last use it, about 3 days ago.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

In my experience, unless you’re in the trade industry and your target market is people 50+, you’re probably best spending your money elsewhere. I’m pretty sure you can still get a free listing in the Yellow & White Pages though which can be handy.

The Yellow pages were a bit foolish in not adapting to the digital age until it was too late and they had become almost obsolete. They then started furiously trying to flog overpriced online solutions with very high pressure sales tactics to catch up to the rest of the world, but they’re a shadow of what they once were.

Extraordinary You
    Up

Thanks Steve, I agree.

mypresences
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

I always recommend at least a free listing on yellow pages for some of the reasons stated above:
    1. lots of people still use the book and the online version.
    2. If you are targeting the older demographic it is more worthwhile.

The other point is that you at least want your business to exist in the sensis network because they also supply an API to developers and if you business is not listed then you will be invisible in the apps that are using their API plus their data is supplied to many other services.

It can be a bit of a mess though as I notice a lot of my customers have more than one (or many) records on sensis and this can also be a problem so check to see if you are already on sensis before creating a new listing if possible.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.