Home – New Forums Marketing mastery yellow pages online?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Stewart
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hi,
    Does anyone have any experiences on what happens to customer visits / sales etc when you stop listing your business in yellow pages online?
    For a professional services firm that gets most revenue via word of mouth it doesn’t seem worthwhile but I would assume most clients would still equate the yellow pages to credibility and would expect to see an ad in here.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

I think a consumer is going to base your credibility on the presence you give them (your website) rather then whether you’re listed in the YP.

If you don’t get a ROI on your YP ad’s, you cancel them. I could tell you 101 better ways to spend that advertising budget.

If you rely on WOM for business, get on social media. The old adage of “A happy customer will tell 3 of his friends, and angry customer will tell 10 of his friends” is outdated in my eyes.

A happy customer will tell 300 of his friends, and an angry customer will tell 300 of his friends*. Social media IS word of mouth nowadays.

* This of course reflects how many people they’re connected to online. They might tell 5000 of their friends :)

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

I’d have to agree with Chris. I honestly can’t imagine anyone NOT doing business simply because you are not in the YP. I don’t think I personally have ever checked a company exists in YP after getting a recommendation.

A company I did some work with in the past was mulling over whether to renew YP once so I suggested they talk to their staff around their 3 retail stores in Oz to see if any of them

a. wanted YP for their own sales leads
    b. actually used YP themselves.

The answer to both questions from almost all staff was no to both. They almost all dumped their YPs in the recycling without opening them and felt their customers largely did the same!

The exception was a staff member who felt that older customers might use YP rather than online research – a valid point if you have an older demographic doing their own research for your service.

answermyphone
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

Hi Bruce,

You should be able to contact your rep or customer service and see how many click thrus to your ad you have received per month.
    This report will also show how many times someone has clicked to your website from YP.

Another reporting level is the number of searches in your region/state or nationally for your heading so you can determine the level of usage and your share this way.

You can consider where you are listed on the search return for new business to find you, that is coming in thru a heading search vs a name search. If you are in the top 5 say on this search and the heading is a popular one (with the stats) are you getting any new enquiries from it? I think the usage for YP online, in some headings, is pretty good.

I think this is a better way to evaluate your spend as I agree with the other posts that your presence on YP is no so much a test of your credibility for people that know you.

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up

I can’t remember where I read it but I did see written that YP advertisers have dropped by 50% from what they were 10 years ago (I think it was the last 10 years. Don’t shoot me if I have that wrong).

I knew it had dropped a lot, but not by that much.

Chris Bates
    Up

YP usage has dropped by 55%.

Dardee
    Up

Well there you go. I knew someone would know the correct figure.

FletcherTax
    • Total posts: 347
    Up

Correct me if I’m wrong – but the YP offers a free basic listing which should be sufficient for most businesses.

I had a YP rep catch me on a good day a couple of months ago and I got an amazing deal within the hard copy YP, car edition of YP for the North and online YP. Just my company name, phone number and website. I think they’re really trying to hold on as much as possible.

Had 1 call off it to date. True Local seems to work a lot better at the moment.

Chris Bates
    Up

Yes – YP have a free online listing. But it’s Name + Phone Number only, and you get listed right at the bottom.

I have a premium TL listing and I think that was a waste of money too, never had a call off of it. They seem to spend more money promoting their service seeking website than their directory.

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

I tried a reasonable listing in the Sydney and local directories for the last year, as much as anything to get into the online directory. I have had maybe 2 or 3 calls that haven’t even paid the bill.

This year I have fallen back to just the local book and the cheapest I could get to keep me in the online directory.

I had the impression that a number of other online directories would tend to pick up your listing from YP online, is that the case? It certainly was some years back and I was still getting calls years later for a business that hadn’t been operating for at least 10 years.

In fact the first year I was listed in the Sydney book with that business they put me under the wrong category and it was probably 10 years or so before calls from that debacle faded off!!!!

BB
    • Total posts: 215
    Up

Hey Bruce –

From experience? What happens when you drop your Yellow Pages listing?

Absolutely nothing!

But then again – nothing happened anyway when I did pay for a listing with them.
    Actually, nothing happened either when I paid for a hard copy listing.

I still have my ‘free’ online listing with them – the only calls I get are from people who’d like to sell me something.

Actually, as I write this – I have a telemarketer on speaker phone giving me a spiel about his advertising deal in a local gymnasium. He comes from Qld. He’s never seen the gym he’s talking about. He said he got my number from the Yellow Pages.

Yellow Pages mucked up my listing – this guy thinks I’m a ‘dog handler’ … *sigh* oh well, I’d better go tell him…

cheers,

B.B.

Chris Bates
    Up

Ahahahaha so true! I get angry at telemarketers from the YP because they call my 1300 number and I get charged to listen to them ramble!

danrippon
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Hello Bruce,
    Just something to add to the other good comments above; the only reason I’d see any value in a YP Online / True Local listing would be for the citation ref you’d get towards your Google Local Business Centre entry. (You might find this page handy for a reference.)

I have a (free) listing in True Local, but I can tell you that my LBC entry has been my biggest drawcard yet. Whether you have an existing website or not, it’s free to set up, and done right, puts you in the box seat for localised searches.

Hope that helps!

Dardee
    Up
    danrippon, post: 26740 wrote:
    I have a (free) listing in True Local, but I can tell you that my LBC entry has been my biggest drawcard yet. Whether you have an existing website or not, it’s free to set up, and done right, puts you in the box seat for localised searches.

Hope that helps!

More info please. Where does one go to set this up?

danrippon
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Sorry, that was a bit lax of me! Here you go…

Google Local Business Centre

Cheers!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.