Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Yellow Pages & Sensis Online – my take!

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #969664
    Richard A
    Member
    • Total posts: 92
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi All,

    Some of you may recall me wondering whether to try a hard copy YP ad last year?

    Well, I ended up going with one regional YP ad (Gold Coast) and a Sensis Online ad. My reasoning is that my market (retirees) may still be using hard copy directories if they are not very internet savvy.

    It was not cheap – there wasn’t much change on $4,000 for them both.

    So far, I have had just one call from the hard copy directory. For the online directory, well, it does send some traffic to my website, but certainly not to the extent that it would convince me to do it again. It is probably in the bottom ten referring sites.

    I have had significantly better results from listing my business on free business listing sites – I think this is one of the best-kept secrets of SEO! If you Google something like “free business directory listing” and maybe include your location you will come up with pages of options. It takes around 5 mins to list, and I recommend that you have a target of doing 2 or 3 per day until you have exhausted the listings available. One free site (they actually refuse to take paid listings) consistently rates in my top three referring sites.

    Way cheaper & more productive than YP or Sensis Online.

    Seriously, if the YP don’t work for my business which is aimed at people who are more likely to be using hard copy directories, then what hope do other businesses have?

    Hope this helps!

    Richard

    #1039893
    Anonymous
    Guest
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Richard,

    Nice to see you :)

    Thanks for posting the results of your experiment for us – what a shame it was so expensive!

    Hope all is going well and that you’re having a fabulous weekend,
    Jayne

    #1039894
    Richard A
    Member
    • Total posts: 92
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Jayne,

    Nice to hear from you! I hope you are online for pleasure (I have you pegged as a War Hammer fan!) and not working (like I am!).

    Cheers! ;-)

    Richard

    #1039895
    Jake@EmroyPrint
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Ricard,

    Ironically, just below this post is a big ad for “Yellow Pages”. Saying “What they can do for your business!”. Funny.

    I’ve heard mixed results, most swaying more to the negative side about Yellow Pages.

    I had a look in the yellow pages for my industry, there was a huge amount of competition so thought it wasn’t really worth it.

    – Jake

    #1039896
    Richard A
    Member
    • Total posts: 92
    Up
    0
    ::

    Yeah, hope we don’t blow a lucrative advertising deal for FS!

    Still, if YP want to stay relevant to the SME market they should listen to client concerns.

    #1039897
    Anonymous
    Guest
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    0
    ::
    Richard A, post: 48387 wrote:
    Hi Jayne,

    Nice to hear from you! I hope you are online for pleasure (I have you pegged as a War Hammer fan!) and not working (like I am!).

    Cheers! ;-)

    Richard

    Hi Richard,
    I must confess that I have no idea what War Hammer is…

    But hanging out on the boards with you guys is always a pleasure to me, and never feels like work!

    Best,
    Jayne

    #1039898
    Tiggerito
    Member
    • Total posts: 362
    Up
    0
    ::

    I acquired a client that was paying yellow pages about $6000/year and it resulted in only a visitor every few days. As I was a lot cheaper he decided to hire me!

    He is currently getting about 2 visitors per day directly from the free directories I have submitted his website to, and that’s only after only a few months work.

    My article The Link Building Check List includes some of the best free Australian directories to get your business listed in.

    All it costs is a little time to submit to these directories. After that you get your visitors for free!

    #1039899
    createdevelop
    Member
    • Total posts: 171
    Up
    0
    ::

    We have stated to our clients before that;

    SEO + PPC + Social Media + A website tweak gets you a FAR greater return than spending money on Yellow Pages.

    In fact we have the case studies and the clients to prove this is the case.

    To make matters worse, Sensis think they understand new media, and claim to do a good job, when the opposite is quite clearly true.

    #1039900
    Tim Davies
    Member
    • Total posts: 45
    Up
    0
    ::

    Really interesting post, and results shared. We’ve been considering YP for some time however its really hard to get data out of them other than the normal ‘we get X thousand keyword searches per month so on’. I think we’ll agree with you for the time being and keep the battle up to SEO.

    Thanks again for the follow up.

    #1039901
    mattybee
    Member
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Richard,

    Using directories are a great way to build citations on the web. The best way to get rankings in Australia is to get a google places listing. You can sign up free here. http://www.google.com/local/add/businessCenter

    Set that up and submit it to google.

    Once you have that signed up contact me and I will tweak it for you so you rank for many keywords in your niche (free of charge of coarse).

    I am only new here and I would love to show people the power of using this system to get more market share.

    To give you an idea of how powerfull it is, here is a link to my uncles BRAND NEW website that I optimised for him. Here is a pic: http://screencast.com/t/NjE5NzI4NWM

    Pretty powerfull stuff, he is in the stone age with computers so I set him up a free site and did my thing and bang! He is ranking number one for some 20 keywords. Not bad for 45 minutes work. Powerfull stuff.

    #1039902
    Tiggerito
    Member
    • Total posts: 362
    Up
    0
    ::

    I’d agree that all businesses should get themselves registered with Google Places and put in as much details as possible.

    For some of my clients it’s their biggest source of visitors!

    Local/map search is going to get more and more important, especially with GPS and smart phones on the rise. Services like local directories, google places, foursquare, twitters location tracking, facebook places (USA only at the moment) are a major sign of this new shift in how people use the internet.

    #1039903
    Richard A
    Member
    • Total posts: 92
    Up
    0
    ::
    mattybee, post: 48525 wrote:
    Hi Richard,

    Using directories are a great way to build citations on the web. The best way to get rankings in Australia is to get a google places listing. You can sign up free here. http://www.google.com/local/add/businessCenter

    Set that up and submit it to google.

    Once you have that signed up contact me and I will tweak it for you so you rank for many keywords in your niche (free of charge of coarse).

    I am only new here and I would love to show people the power of using this system to get more market share.

    To give you an idea of how powerfull it is, here is a link to my uncles BRAND NEW website that I optimised for him. Here is a pic: http://screencast.com/t/NjE5NzI4NWM

    Pretty powerfull stuff, he is in the stone age with computers so I set him up a free site and did my thing and bang! He is ranking number one for some 20 keywords. Not bad for 45 minutes work. Powerfull stuff.

    Hi Matty,

    Well, I partly agree – it is worth going on Google Places but it is only one step of an overall SEO strategy. It is pretty easy to rank highly for specific keywords or keywords that are not highly sought-after, such as the example you use, “Bobcat Service Melbourne”.

    For popular search terms or keywords it is a lot more complex.

    Such is the dark art of SEO!

    Richard

    #1039904
    mattybee
    Member
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    0
    ::
    Richard A, post: 48723 wrote:
    Hi Matty,

    Well, I partly agree – it is worth going on Google Places but it is only one step of an overall SEO strategy. It is pretty easy to rank highly for specific keywords or keywords that are not highly sought-after, such as the example you use, “Bobcat Service Melbourne”.

    For popular search terms or keywords it is a lot more complex.

    Such is the dark art of SEO!

    Richard

    Ahh absolutely Richard.

    As far as competition, if people are searching for it, I want my business ranking for it! These jobs normally end up in the 4K plus range. So if these smaller keywords get and extra 4-15 leads or quotes a month, I want them.

    But for keywords like ‘injury lawyer los angeles’ from which people pay 50 dollars a click. That’s where most of my time is focused.

    We had a client paying over 25K a month in adwords. I would have really have to be a SEO wizard to get number one there.

    He is second on the maps now, and in a few more weeks will be number one. Oh, and he is not spending on adwords anymore.

    With the right optimization competitive terms become a reality.

    #1039905
    bridiej
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up
    0
    ::

    Thanks for the feedback re YP, I wasn’t sure whether it was worth it but now I know for sure!!

    I think things have changed a lot over the past five years or so, when I was in the UK my YP ad worked fantastically and I got lots of clients from it (although mainly one-offs rather than repeats).

    Richard: I’ve added onto Google Places, apparently they send you something to confirm your address, which I’m still waiting for but will send you a PM once I finally get it activated!!! The only thing is I offer my services throughout Australia (well, worldwide actually) and I’m not sure I can configure it to show this, it seems to just want to show locally which isn’t much use as we are in a regional area with small population…?

    #1039906
    mattybee
    Member
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    0
    ::
    bridiej, post: 48774 wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback re YP, I wasn’t sure whether it was worth it but now I know for sure!!

    I think things have changed a lot over the past five years or so, when I was in the UK my YP ad worked fantastically and I got lots of clients from it (although mainly one-offs rather than repeats).

    Richard: I’ve added onto Google Places, apparently they send you something to confirm your address, which I’m still waiting for but will send you a PM once I finally get it activated!!! The only thing is I offer my services throughout Australia (well, worldwide actually) and I’m not sure I can configure it to show this, it seems to just want to show locally which isn’t much use as we are in a regional area with small population…?

    Perfect,

    I’m sure they confirm your listing by phone which is immediate, or you can do mail which takes time.

    Google places is great for local area, your town or city. But for worldwide, normal SEO would be best practice.

    Good luck with it all!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.