Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Yellow pages

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    The Internet Bloke
    • Total posts: 131
    Up
    ::
    vstacy, post: 18336 wrote:
    … so I also don’t see the point in submitting my business to yellow pages when my results from google (mainly) sustain me.

Sorry to wake up everyone on this dormant thread.

Yes, the print version of the YP is a dinosaur.

But for business seeking clients from a certain area, it’s VERY important to keeping at least a small listing.

Because most people will use google to search for local listings, and Google gets its local search results from the Yellow Pages.

I’m sure you are all familiar with the local search box and map at the top of the google listings.

And I’m making an educated guess that most will people make their choices from the businesses that appear in the box.

Well, if they’re in the box, then they must be the most important – musn’t they. !! Just like the businesses with the biggest adverts at the front of the printed Yellow Pages must be the biggest and best!

Well, actually the businesses that appear in the search box have no relation to the amount of money spent on a display advert.

Someone with one line advert could be on page one. While someone who has paid for a full page advert sits on page 20 of the local search listings. and nobody will ever seee them.

Almost nobody knows this – or knows that with a bit of work, a business can be lifted up to appear on the first page of the results.

and this is a huge opportunity for businesses with a small listing to leapfrog over their competitors who have full page adverts.

Check out my blog post about this at
    http://theinternetbloke.com/case-studies/yellow-pages-advertising

cheers,
    Eric G.

RawMarketing
    • Total posts: 31
    Up

Hey Eric,

I didn’t read any posts prior to yours, so my reply may be out of context, but just an inquiry….

Are you saying that Google specifically get their Map listings from YP?

Would YP send them to Google at no charge? or would Google just take them?

I don’t think YP would give up their database free of charge and particularly when finding a business through Google is a competitive method to finding a business on YP Online.

I have a website; TasHome.com.au that has a 5,000+ deep business directory. I get a bit of traffic through people searching particular business names, but not as much as I’d like. Do you think it’d be possible for me to get Google to index my database of Businesses/Addresses?

The Internet Bloke
    Up

Hello RAWonline.

RawMarketing, post: 34835 wrote:
    Are you saying that Google specifically get their Map listings from YP?

Yes. They’ve been doing this for about a year now for their Australian listings. I understand there’s a commercial arrangement, and that if you’re not in YP then you won’t be in the Local search box.

(Different story elsewhere, where the local search box is drawn from the business websites.)

RawMarketing wrote:
    Do you think it’d be possible for me to get Google to index my database of Businesses/Addresses?
    don’t know if there would be much benefit for Google users in that. It would be just a list of business names.
    The websites of the businesses themselves would be a far more attractive target for google to display.

cheers,
    Eric G.

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Each business listing in Google Maps is in fact a giant ‘cluster’ of information that we get from a few different places: Yellow Pages, for example, as well as other third-party providers. However, the basic information that you submit through the Local Business Center is the information that we trust the most. This means that it will appear instead of any basic information that we get from anywhere else.

Source: http://maps.google.com/support/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=guide.cs&guide=21029

You can manually add your business to Google at : http://www.google.com/local/add/

It’s suspected that if your business can also be found in YP, they might rank you higher in the local results – being a vouch for credibility. So it’s worth getting your FREE Yellow Pages Internet listing : http://yellowadvertising.com.au/?Contact-Us/Free-Listing

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

“Google gets its local search results from the Yellow Pages.”

Where on earth did you get that one from? Google Local listing in completely separate from Yellow Pages, as Chris said, you can manually add your own listing direct to Google.

– Jake

DKBlair
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    Emroy, post: 34902 wrote:

Where on earth did you get that one from? Google Local listing in completely separate from Yellow Pages, as Chris said, you can manually add your own listing direct to Google.

– Jake

Yep and the more content you have in your listing, photos, videos and comments, the higher position you will be in the 7 box.

The Internet Bloke
    Up
    Emroy, post: 34902 wrote:

Where on earth did you get that one from?

1. From the note at the bottom of the Google Australian local listings that says
    “Business listings provided by Yellow Pages®”

2. From the news stories over a year ago saying that Google and Yellow pages were entering into a relationship where Google’s local search search resuslts for australia would be provided by Yellow Pages, at the expense of competitors like true local, etc.

3. From http://www.about.sensis.com.au/products/yellow-pages/
    which says;

Google Maps and Google Maps Mobile: through our association with Google, an advertiser’s Yellow Pages® content business location details can is be available to be searched for on Google Maps and Google Maps for Mobile.

4. From what I have seen in the local search results.

Hopefully that’s enough places on earth :-)

emroy wrote:
    Google Local listing in completely separate from Yellow Pages, as Chris said,
    – Jake

That’s right. In other countries – As I said above.

But not in Australia.

regards,
    Eric G.

soliddata
    • Total posts: 392
    Up

As I understand it, in a sort of extension to what Chris said:
    1. if you put in a Google Local Business Center listing, then it pulls it from there first;
    2. Google fills out the rest of the listings from Yellow Pages ads;

I can vouch for the fact of point 1. as I have not had a yellow pages listing for many years, and yet I have a Google Local listing appear.

My interesting (worrying/challenging) point is that if I search for “Canberra data backup”, I appear number 2 behind a computer guy that doesn’t even mention data backup on his website. Any ideas on how I fix that???

Kev

The Internet Bloke
    Up
    soliddata, post: 34957 wrote:
    As I understand it, in a sort of extension to what Chris said:
    1. if you put in a Google Local Business Center listing, then it pulls it from there first;
    2. Google fills out the rest of the listings from Yellow Pages ads;

I can vouch for the fact of point 1. as I have not had a yellow pages listing for many years, and yet I have a Google Local listing appear.

That’s basically right, except that the business with a verified local listing aren’t necessarily shown before the unverified listings provided by the YP.

soliddata wrote:
    My interesting (worrying/challenging) point is that if I search for “Canberra data backup”, I appear number 2 behind a computer guy that doesn’t even mention data backup on his website. Any ideas on how I fix that???

Kev

Well, including “data backup” as a category could help. Your competitor uses these words as a category in his google local listing. You do not.
    As always, keyword research and selection is important.
    Find out what terms people are actually searching for, as opposed to what you THINK they are searching for.

A basic way of doing this is with the google external keyword tool.
    You could also purchase Micro Niche Finder (which is my favourite keyword tool)if you want to do some heavy duty keyword research

You could also add some videos to your listing, and include your business on more local directories, like gumtree, etc. Check your competitors listing, and the sites that are pulled in as references. See if you can get listings there too.
    And find more directory sites to get listed on, using the keywords you have decided on.
    Also, get some customers with google accounts to write reviews for your site.
    (don’t be tempted to do them yourself)

Doing those things should help getting you listed above your competitor.

cheers,
    Eric G.

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

You can SEO your listing too ;)

NigelBurke
    • Total posts: 37
    Up

We used to advertise in every YP in the country, then they bought the metro books, then the mobile books and it all got too expensive. The quality of leads were not good.

We tried YP online and it was a waste of money with one phone call in six months.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.