Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Yet Another New Member

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    HandmadeByLorraine
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    ::

Hi all,
    I had been self-employed for over 20 years, and finally went back to work for the man. After 4 years I have left my soul destroying job to go back to what I love. I create anodised jewellery, from a sheet of aluminium to a piece of wearable art. Unfortunately over that 4 year period I have lost most of my contacts, and find myself starting all over again.
    I’m great at making jewellery but terrible at marketing. I have a new website which I’m really pleased with complete with shopping cart, I just need the shopping cart to be used! The jewellery I make is very unique and colourful, and I know I would have a market if only I knew how to tap into it successfully.
    handmadebylorraine has a business Facebook page which I work on with daily posts and I do a weekly blog on my website.
    I am really looking forward to spending some time looking at the various posts here, I’m sure I will find a lot of helpful information.
    Thanks for reading!
    Lorraine Allan
    Handmade By Lorraine

Ondetto
    • Total posts: 110
    Up

Welcome, Lorraine! Sounds like you really love what you do, great to hear you are getting back into it :-)

You might want to put your website address in your forum signature, that way we can all have a look, and who knows – there may even be some people who might want to buy or might have contacts for you!

All the best with getting your business off the ground (again!)
    Frederike

HandmadeByLorraine
    Up
    Ondetto, post: 156017 wrote:
    Welcome, Lorraine! Sounds like you really love what you do, great to hear you are getting back into it :-)

You might want to put your website address in your forum signature, that way we can all have a look, and who knows – there may even be some people who might want to buy or might have contacts for you!

All the best with getting your business off the ground (again!)
    Frederike

Thank you! I wasn’t sure if you were allowed to put in a link, that’s great.

Lorraine Allan
    Handmade By Lorraine
    http://www.handmadebylorraine.com

RBB
    • Total posts: 27
    Up

Hi Lorraine

Your jewellery is beautiful! Well done for creating something you love :)

As for marketing:

– Have you thought about approaching some local clothing boutiques with a few of your trendy pieces? Retailers head to yearly tradeshows in search of unique accessories like yours. If they agree to selling them (consignment or wholesale), remember the business cards!

– Can you (or a friend, in case your not big on events) host a ladies shopping night featuring your jewellery? You might know some other talented crafters in your area who could come along and include their wares. Everyone loves a catch up with nibbles & bubbles.

– Consider an Etsy store. It’s an absolutely fantastic place to market handmade goods globally and make connections. It can really pay dividends, if you’re willing to give it some of your time. There are also some good articles on how to get the most out of your store. Australia has a similar site in Madeit.

– Be sure to subscribe to Sourcebottle. This is where magazines, blogs etc are looking for all kinds of sources.

– Connect & share on social media. Be sure to take a look at Pinterest too. It’s great for product based businesses, especially pretty, colourful items like yours.

– Consider approaching a reputable fashion blogger and ask if she might like a piece of your jewellery. Not only do their outfits sell like hotcakes, but their accessories too. Take a look at Kendi, if you need some inspiration.

– On the subject of bloggers, check out some of Australia’s top mummy bloggers (don’t doubt the voice they have!) & see if they have some advertising space. They’re usually pretty kind to their advertisers, mentioning them in their social media etc which is all very helpful.

– Keep your finger on the pulse for local events, like fashion parades etc. They’re always looking for contributors and you just never know where your next sale might come from!

– And of course, there is always the markets. You could be the next Sam Willis :)

Best of luck,

Lindy

martin.firth
    • Total posts: 259
    Up

Hi Lorraine,

Welcome to the forum, I love the jewellery! There are a few things on your site that could help it make a bigger impact, such as a nicer header/logo, larger font in the navigation, and a more eye-catching “Buy Now” button.

If you are still in contact with your web designer I’d consider asking them about this.

Enjoy the community,

Martin
    Embersketch Web Design

YourBizMadeEasy
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

Hi Lorraine,

I’m a newbie too, still getting used to the site, but so far have found everyone more than welcoming.

I’ve hopped on to your Facebook page and given it a ‘like’ – you have very unique jewellery.

Just a thought – have you ever tried the Facebook advertising? You can select your target audience and select an advertising budget. It can be a really quick way to gain new ‘likes’ which would be really useful for a business like yours where you have eye catching photos of your products.

I hope everything goes well for you :)

HandmadeByLorraine
    Up

Thank you!
    Lindy – thanks for taking the time to give so much great advice. I will certainly be following up! I have my work in 4 galleries but have not approached boutiques. I use to do home jewellery shows, will need to get back on that track.
    Martin – I designed my website using Sandvox, will look into the points you have mentioned
    Abby – I have done ‘Promote’ on Facebook, and actually made a sale from it. I have been reading up about their advertising, another on the to do list!

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Lorraine,

Your work is stunning, and I hope you make a huge success out of it. :)

Thanks for joining Flying Solo, and please do take some time to look around here and to ask any questions that come up for you in the relevant parts of the forum. I’m sure between the wealth of info on the site and the combined wisdom of the forum peeps you’ll be on your way to tapping into that market you’re looking for.

Good luck with it,
    Jayne

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

I am a new member and I look forward to advice and ideas from other small business owners. Our business is a florist shop in a shopping centre in Mandurah, Western Australia.

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up
    banjo, post: 156165 wrote:
    I am a new member and I look forward to advice and ideas from other small business owners. Our business is a florist shop in a shopping centre in Mandurah, Western Australia.

Hi Banjo,
    Welcome and thanks for joining.
    If you’d like to post your own intro feel free to add it here: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/new-member-introduce-yourself/
    You can also add a forum signature in control panel with a link to your website if you have one.
    All the best with it.
    Peter

Lahay
    • Total posts: 34
    Up
    HandmadeByLorraine, post: 156015 wrote:
    Hi all,
    I had been self-employed for over 20 years, and finally went back to work for the man. After 4 years I have left my soul destroying job to go back to what I love. I create anodised jewellery, from a sheet of aluminium to a piece of wearable art. Unfortunately over that 4 year period I have lost most of my contacts, and find myself starting all over again.
    I’m great at making jewellery but terrible at marketing. I have a new website which I’m really pleased with complete with shopping cart, I just need the shopping cart to be used! The jewellery I make is very unique and colourful, and I know I would have a market if only I knew how to tap into it successfully.
    handmadebylorraine has a business Facebook page which I work on with daily posts and I do a weekly blog on my website.
    I am really looking forward to spending some time looking at the various posts here, I’m sure I will find a lot of helpful information.
    Thanks for reading!
    Lorraine Allan
    Handmade By Lorraine

Hi Lorraine,

Good on you for returning to what you love!

Good luck with it all,

Jocelyn Serone
    Lahay
    http://www.lahay.com.au

radge
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

Your jewellery is lovely, I remember using aluminium when i was studying at uni.

Another australian online handmade website you could consider is hand-made.com.au they allow you to have 3 listings for free with no commission or anything so that could be a away to get more people seeing your lovely creations, its pretty user friendly.

Goodluck

HandmadeByLorraine
    Up

Hi Radge Design,

Thanks for your kind comments. Yes, I do have 3 items on Hand-made, but not a bite at this stage, unfortunately.

radge
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

I must admit my bites on there have been friends, one was from a forum that I share images on so guess all promotion, getting it out there. Hand-made have a facebook group which is good to bounce ideas of other store owners, I’ve also worked up the courage to go to local markets which makes a difference as well because people can physically see the items. I put images up on facebook as well and have been doing some showcases to get other people seeing my items that wouldnt normally find it – I dont know if it has made a difference yet.

Its hard when your starting up again, although I seem to be having more success this time around which may be due to my marketing/branding so it all has the same look/feel (helped by the fact I can do it for myself).

Lindz
    • Total posts: 254
    Up

Hello Lorraine,

And a further welcome to Flying Solo.

I just had a look at your website and there are plenty of future gift ideas there.

(It may be my browser set up but I can’t find anything about pricing or a ‘buy now’ button.)

But I do have my eye on that bronze copper eyeglass chain.

All best,

Lindsay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.