Home Forums Logistics yet another question about importing!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Davejochow
    • Total posts: 38

hello,
    I want to import christmas lights from China, but not just any, very specific ones that are only sold through one supplier in Australia that are way too expensive. Any who, I have tried to important from China before and all have been failures because of miscommunication and most of all poor quality. Now I know people will say, travel to China and talk to people there but I cant because I have a new baby, I dont know where to go in China, I cant afford to spend $5000 on a trip to China. Now I know it can work without traveling to China as my father ran a successful wholesale business without setting foot in the country. This is a whole new product, and I wish to find some kind of wholesale chinese consultant located in Australia who knows alot about china and can source the goods I am after. Thank you

Joanne

http://www.1000stars.com.au

MH08
    • Total posts: 284

I know how you feel Joanne, trying to find product that meets the quality and Australian standards is very difficult. Unfortunately using an assurance consultant in China will cost you more than your willing to invest.

I use an Australian consultant in China that over sees the entire production down to supply quality and logistics to Australia.

Cheapest option could be going through an Asian friend that may have some ties in China that is willing to provide assistance?

Cheers.

Chris – Marketing
    • Total posts: 162

hi Joanne, traveling to china need not cost $5000. Look up the Canton Fair in Guangzhou http://www.cantonfair.org.cn/en/ . U will need to organise a visa as to enter china as one must be invited. I did this at the Chinese consulate office in Melbourne or u can apply in writing. The air fairs cost me $1200.00 return straight in and out of Guangzhou. Au$100/night buys you a very classy hotel. The Guangzhou subway rail system is far superior to anything we have in Australia and will get u to the fair Venues for a few dollars Australian. So you don’t need to rely on a taxi once you are at the Hotel (provided your hotel is close). At the Venues you can by a meal voucher for A$5 – 10 prepared by the Hyatt and other top Hotels.
    U r right communication is an issue but improving each year.
    When enquiring about product always ask about Australian certification.
    U can buy a sample range and have them air freighted, this may cost u a few hundred dollars and eliminate travel.

Jason Ramage
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,165
    Chris – Marketing, post: 175383 wrote:
    hi Joanne, traveling to china need not cost $5000. Look up the Canton Fair in Guangzhou http://www.cantonfair.org.cn/en/ . U will need to organise a visa as to enter china as one must be invited. I did this at the Chinese consulate office in Melbourne or u can apply in writing. The air fairs cost me $1200.00 return straight in and out of Guangzhou. Au$100/night buys you a very classy hotel. The Guangzhou subway rail system is far superior to anything we have in Australia and will get u to the fair Venues for a few dollars Australian. So you don’t need to rely on a taxi once you are at the Hotel (provided your hotel is close). At the Venues you can by a meal voucher for A$5 – 10 prepared by the Hyatt and other top Hotels.
    U can buy a sample range and have them air freighted, this may cost u a few hundred dollars and eliminate travel.

I WANT YOUR HOTEL recommendations ;)

The fair is a great place to start, although you have missed this current one by the time you would prepare your visa etc (can take a few days)… but strongly advise it.. even for the experience if you are wanting to import ANYTHING!

Awaiting hotel recommendations.. LOL

Cheers
    Jason ;)

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: hello@lucasarthur.net.au   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Johny
    • Total posts: 840

U will need to organise a visa as to enter china as one must be invited.

Yes, you do need a visa, but no you don’t need to be invited. Best to arrange any visa and fair registration before travelling. But generally a first visa will only be valid for one or 2 entries and very short term.

I have never had a problem with entering China or the fair with just a tourist visa.

Au$100/night buys you a very classy hotel.

I’d love to know where. Any decent hotel remotely close to the fair will double or triple their rates at fair time.

Possibly, not always and it wouldn’t be a good idea to rock up and expect it. If going down the track of visiting a fair it is best to do as much homework as you can beforehand and identify suitable suppliers, make contact and at least get an initial idea about them. Then visiting them at the fair can consolidate any ideas.

And also good to note with the canton fair that it is held in 3 phases with different stages highlighting different product ranges.

But spending even a couple of grand is a lot if your intention is on buying low quantity, so you need to factor in the opportunity cost as well.

I have seen some of these lights and know some of the problems involved with them. But what generally happens is that a buyer will focus on getting ones in the lower price range, then suffer the result of poor quality.

The problem you have is that you don’t know what the other company is buying them for, and being the only supplier he may be buying in much larger quantity than you can, and therefore at a cheaper price. He may also have been the one to arrange the testing required to meet AU standards for that product and therefore has already sucked up that cost.

There are certainly a lot of products, especially electronic items that may meet EU or US standards, but different testing is required to met AU standards.

So there could be very limited supply options for this particular product especially if, as you say, they are the only one currently importing them.

tim_davies
    • Total posts: 54

My two cents… although you’re getting some great advise here.

My hotel recommendations based on first hand experience…
    – Baiyun Hotel (opposite garden hotel)
    – Star Hotel

Both reasonably priced (relative to others [im with Johny here, not sure on the $100 hotel thing] ).

The Baiyun is better located for the following; english pub, irish pubs, subway and amazing brazillian grill within a hit of a golf ball. And some shopping.

Chris is bang on: Subway is awesome but intimidating first time. Once you get past that, you’re away.

You’re right about being able to start up from here without visiting. But you’re going to mitigate risk by being on the ground in China in any way, shape or form you can.

If in the short term all you have is a bit of money to do an inspection prior to the first order leaving, well I’d recommend keeping it for that and doing that as a minimum..

Mitigate your risk overall by..

– Source your factory with diligent research
    – research, research, research
    – sample till you’re happy with exactly what you have in your hot little hand
    – keep the factory accountable and communition strong
    – inspect production if you can
    – there’s tonnes of other things I could recommend and advice I could give, but there’s other places you can look for that.. ;)

Hope this helps. Good luck.

JGS Machinery
    • Total posts: 11
    Chris – Marketing, post: 175383 wrote:

Do not go to the cantonfair is it a ripp off you will pay 30-60% higher then if you find the suppliers yourself I live in china and have a factory here myself in very different field though I would never suggest this fair to anyone who is serious about doing business in china if you are looking to get the real prices from china do not buy from any expo and do not deal with trading companys!

Chris – Marketing
    • Total posts: 162

Do not go to the cantonfair is it a ripp off you will pay 30-60% higher then if you find the suppliers yourself I live in china and have a factory here myself in very different field though I would never suggest this fair to anyone who is serious about doing business in china if you are looking to get the real prices from china do not buy from any expo and do not deal with trading companys

Like all expos and trading fairs it’s about visualising what is available, establishing networks, communicating with other buyers and getting referrals. How many trade fairs have we been to Australia and not purchased but we have been able to established trends and price range. (research)
    My time at the Canton Fair was very enlightening, I met several buyers from a round the world and connected with a couple looking to purchase similar products to me. They shared with me 2 suppliers. On my return to Australia I established contact with a factory in Ningbo China (I have never been to this area) I entered into discussions negotiated price, purchased my sample range, confirmed the quality and placed my order.
    If one uses these events as the be all then one would expect to have a narrow view.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.