Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Your advise will be greatly appreciated

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #987386
    Mojo2014
    Member
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi there,

    I am partner in a business that is online and relies on the website for success. Unfortunately our website is not up to scratch (you can check it out and feel free to give your opinion http://www.searchforpilates.com.au).

    The major issue is the company that was contracted to develop our website and provide SEO services for. To start with they advised on a particularly rubbish design, one which I cannot change as I was not there at inception. But in the last two months, which has been SEO stuff (should have been implemented a lot earlier) we have had nothing but poor service, conflicting advice and I have done ALL the work (I am not even a developer).

    To cut the story short as I can go on and on… when do I let them go?? They still have work to do, we do not have full control of the back end, they have the google analytics stuff as well as webmaster.

    Some advice will be greatly appreciated. What to do, who could help (freelance developers?? marketing people??)

    Many thanks in advance,

    Jo

    http://www.searchforpilates.com.au

    #1162461
    Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Jo, I have logged on to your web page and from the surface, it seam to look ok.

    I am not a web developer but I do know one.

    If you are not happy you should cut your losses and let go.

    Providing you have your hosting details any web developer can get in the back end and take over the site.

    I can recommend Lucy Bloomfield

    She is a love young girl that would help you build a great web page using Word press so you can go in anytime and maintain your own site.

    As far as SEO is concern, I believe that you can do you own SEO by good target marketing, facebook adverting and finding niche blogs and posting there.

    After all SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. In other words getting people to find your web page.

    Don’t rely on the garbage they talk about google ranking.

    I know there is some technical stuff you can do that helps, but to think you are ever going to get on the first page is a dream at best.

    I am not knocking SEO as I am sure you will get an SEO expert slam my post. Personally I get much more success doing my own direct and targeted marketing.

    #1162462
    Stuart B
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up
    0
    ::

    I actually think (from a design perspective only / I haven’t looked at the code) that the overall feel of it looks nice. There’s a few rough edges but nothing which couldn’t be fixed with a little bit of time.

    Your main question seems to be regarding when to let them go, which I would say depends mostly on how much money you’ve paid so far, or how much is owing vs. how much control you have over the site.

    If you were my client and only partial payment had been received so far, then I would ensure you wouldn’t be able to walk away with the site too easily until final payment was received.

    #1162463
    affgar
    Member
    • Total posts: 123
    Up
    0
    ::

    Website looks pretty good.

    What platform is it built on, cms backend? Is it drupal or joomla or wordpress?
    Communication is always the key … & the let down in these types of projects.

    If your website is built on wordpress….
    You can take control of the backend (will have to resolve issues to get control).
    You can add a few plugins to help things move. SEO plugin can guide you pretty well.

    Hope you can get a good outcome. :)

    #1162464
    The Hobbit
    Participant
    • Total posts: 309
    Up
    0
    ::

    I don’t think your website looks too bad.
    Remember a designer is only as good as the brief you provide. When things go wrong alway check the instructions you gave first.
    For some generic advice on briefing a designer try reading this:
    How to brief a designer.
    But if you are not happy in the relationship with any supplier you should move on. You should always have a relationship of mutual trust and respect with your suppliers. Any ethical designer will pass over control to your new designer without any dramas.

    #1162465
    Mojo2014
    Member
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Tony,

    Thanks for your advice. Greatly appreciated. Unfortunately our back end runs off Symphony and requires a PHP Developer.

    If you can recommend anyone who has speciality in this area, it would be greatly appreciated.

    Kind regards,

    Jo

    Tony Manto, post: 187743 wrote:
    Hi Jo, I have logged on to your web page and from the surface, it seam to look ok.

    I am not a web developer but I do know one.

    If you are not happy you should cut your losses and let go.

    Providing you have your hosting details any web developer can get in the back end and take over the site.

    I can recommend Lucy Bloomfield

    She is a love young girl that would help you build a great web page using Word press so you can go in anytime and maintain your own site.

    As far as SEO is concern, I believe that you can do you own SEO by good target marketing, facebook adverting and finding niche blogs and posting there.

    After all SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. In other words getting people to find your web page.

    Don’t rely on the garbage they talk about google ranking.

    I know there is some technical stuff you can do that helps, but to think you are ever going to get on the first page is a dream at best.

    I am not knocking SEO as I am sure you will get an SEO expert slam my post. Personally I get much more success doing my own direct and targeted marketing.

    #1162466
    Mojo2014
    Member
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Affgar,

    The backend is Symphony and requires a PHP Developer to work it. Much less user friendly than word press, but something we needed because of the functionality that we required.

    Many thanks for your advise.

    affgar, post: 187787 wrote:
    Website looks pretty good.

    What platform is it built on, cms backend? Is it drupal or joomla or wordpress?
    Communication is always the key … & the let down in these types of projects.

    If your website is built on wordpress….
    You can take control of the backend (will have to resolve issues to get control).
    You can add a few plugins to help things move. SEO plugin can guide you pretty well.

    Hope you can get a good outcome. :)

    #1162467
    Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Joe, you could also try Jeremy on

    hello@

    Mojo2014, post: 187987 wrote:
    Hi Tony,

    Thanks for your advice. Greatly appreciated. Unfortunately our back end runs off Symphony and requires a PHP Developer.

    If you can recommend anyone who has speciality in this area, it would be greatly appreciated.

    Kind regards,

    Jo

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.